Sign in to follow this  
Sjb

Our fans pathetic.

1 minute ago, Nuff Said said:

You’re not keen on being told that fans are behaving as if they’re entitled to success and then go on to say why you/we/they should expect it? 

Nope, I go on to say why they DO expect it not why they SHOULD. It’s because of this I feel calling them entitled is unfair on them and being bandied around the forum too often as a reason why fans are unhappy with performances. It’s not through entitlement, it’s through frustration that we are performing poorly despite having been sold the succession planning, smooth transition, weapon purchasing, conveyor belt of talent, entertaining smith ball, etc lines from the club. If fans are being fed the expectation then they can’t be really blamed for taking the club at their word. 

• Like 2

But I’m sorry if getting outpassed by Luton and Stoke should be something we can all expect going forwards. I forgot they were known for their Barcelona-esque style of football, I should’ve seen it coming 

1 minute ago, SwearyCanary said:

Nope, I go on to say why they DO expect it not why they SHOULD. It’s because of this I feel calling them entitled is unfair on them and being bandied around the forum too often as a reason why fans are unhappy with performances. It’s not through entitlement, it’s through frustration that we are performing poorly despite having been sold the succession planning, smooth transition, weapon purchasing, conveyor belt of talent, entertaining smith ball, etc lines from the club. If fans are being fed the expectation then they can’t be really blamed for taking the club at their word. 

It should really go without saying that those aims from the clubs are aspirations and not cast-iron guarantees in the face of a myriad teams all competing to do the same thing. 

Maybe they should put a disclaimer on the back of season tickets like they do on Financial Services products: Football Teams can lose and draw as well as win. 

11 hours ago, hogesar said:

Yeah, maybe.

Last time we came down with Farke the general concensus between fans was discussing how difficult it would be to get back, how hard it is for relegated teams to bounce back at the first attempt etc.

This time round its "top 2 or dismal failure" and even on our good winning run we weren't winning "how we want to win". To me that's a bit entitled because winning in this league is difficult.

That doesn't apply to everyone obviously. 

Where I can agree with you to some extent is all the talk of parachute payments. This has led to a general feeling that parachute teams merely have to turn up in order to cruise their way through games and finish in the top two, or at worst the top six. Of course, this isn't true. Parachute teams sometimes fail to make the most of the financial advantage (e.g. Stoke, and now West Brom, it seems). And there will always be two or three teams who come out of the pack to finish above or around the parachute teams (like us in 18/19). So maybe this is creating unrealistically high expectations among the fans of all parachute teams, not just ours. Whether that reaches the level of 'entitlement', I'm not so sure. Perhaps that's just semantics.

Edited by canarybubbles
  • Like 1

I saw some cricket the other day and Sri Lanka were getting areal tanking yet their fans were chanting and drumming as if they were winning comfortably. I think that is the mark of support. Love em or hate em, Liverpool supporters lift their team by singing when they are doing badly.

It is difficult when the match is dire but that is really the time to say to the players that this is our club and we are giving you you every reason to play well.

If they don't respond, then at the end of the match by all means boo and show them your displeasure. But not during it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, keelansgrandad said:

I saw some cricket the other day and Sri Lanka were getting areal tanking yet their fans were chanting and drumming as if they were winning comfortably. I think that is the mark of support. Love em or hate em, Liverpool supporters lift their team by singing when they are doing badly.

It is difficult when the match is dire but that is really the time to say to the players that this is our club and we are giving you you every reason to play well.

If they don't respond, then at the end of the match by all means boo and show them your displeasure. But not during it.

I think this is the perfect answer. Our fanbase currently doesn't seem to have that in them, for whatever reason. I sit lower Barclay and a few of us close-by do try, but it's a slog right now...

• Like 1

There is a sort of unwritten contract between Supporters and their Team ; they actually try to win the game and we support them. If they do not at least show effort, commitment or endeavour then the Team should and can expect silence from the stands. The team must at least break into a trot every now and again and at least spend most of their time passing forwards instead of square or back and they must at least try to put the ball in the opposition’s net. That’s the contract, them’s the rules.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, keelansgrandad said:

I saw some cricket the other day and Sri Lanka were getting areal tanking yet their fans were chanting and drumming as if they were winning comfortably

On the Cricinfo commentary of this game they quoted a Sri Lankan saying that translated as "as the ship sinks, the band will play". It's a pretty good attitude to have as fans.

• Like 1

The thing is, the booing and such like felt reactive in past games.  We play bad, we lose, people boo. It's not always a great indication on who truly wants change, and who are just angry at that 90 mins they've watched.

On Saturday, it seemed more individuals were actively wanting Smith out.  i.e. pro-active.

23 hours ago, nutty nigel said:

Demographic 🤷‍♂️😂 

There's noisy kids

Whining kids 

Leary youngsters 

Sullen youngsters 

Miserable old duffers

Daft old duffers 

etc etc ....

Whatever it is it's not an age thing. 

😂

I can say with some assurance that some parts of the ground definitely collect certain types of people... 

When I were a mere 14yrs old, my mum would treat me and a mate to the kids for a quid deals often occurring at Carrow Road. It would have been 1996, perhaps 97. Those tickets were usually in the less popular bits of the ground, as you would expect. We were excited none the less.

South Stand it was. And many of those around us were older than our grandparents. A couple next to us had a tartan blanket over their laps and legs and a thermos. I could swear that they were probably old enough to have watched the foundations be laid at Carrow Road... certainly as old/older than the stand and just as creaky as it was by that point, bless em.

Every time we stood up to see the other end, we were towards the River End, they moaned at us to sit down because they couldn't see. This despite them actually being between us at the Barclay end. In the end we just ignored them. That was the most amount of noise they made though... and a good few others around them. My only hope was that their choruses of "sit down lads", "oi, boys, we can't see" were caught up with our whoops of excitement at shots and cheers at goal and mistaken as such... 

I seem to remember the stewards making much fun out of it too. Fun times.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Google Bot said:

The thing is, the booing and such like felt reactive in past games.  We play bad, we lose, people boo. It's not always a great indication on who truly wants change, and who are just angry at that 90 mins they've watched.

On Saturday, it seemed more individuals were actively wanting Smith out.  i.e. pro-active.

Yeah, just without actually going the full slog. So in the end it became a weird lack of support to the players.

7 hours ago, kenfoggo said:

There is a sort of unwritten contract between Supporters and their Team ; they actually try to win the game and we support them. If they do not at least show effort, commitment or endeavour then the Team should and can expect silence from the stands. The team must at least break into a trot every now and again and at least spend most of their time passing forwards instead of square or back and they must at least try to put the ball in the opposition’s net. That’s the contract, them’s the rules.

This is such utter trite, tired  rubbish. The team was trying to win the other day, they were trying to win the games on the nine-unbeaten run. They were trying to win the games they lost. 

It may not be pretty all of the time, but the effort's there; this doesn't wash at all. 

On 30/10/2022 at 10:54, cambridgeshire canary said:

Did you not hear little keith? We were supposed to be hoping to lose to get the manager sacked so we should have been booing nonstop all through the match😉

Were you there then? 

23 minutes ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

This is such utter trite, tired  rubbish. The team was trying to win the other day, they were trying to win the games on the nine-unbeaten run. They were trying to win the games they lost. 

It may not be pretty all of the time, but the effort's there; this doesn't wash at all. 

Trite? Not really, we are discussing the failure of this Club, the whole essence of NCFC being ruined by a lack of any definable style or culture. If you enjoy watching 90 minutes of boredom where Hanley cannot bring himself to pass forward and the rest making less than a handful of efforts on goal all game , then carry on singing Dean Smith’s praises. I have opted out and will no longer attend Carrow Road until there is a change of regime. I have had enough. The Preston North End game was awful the Luton game was the worst I can remember in 55 years of going to Norwich games and although we won against Stoke it was a dire performance. I did not see hunger to win or commitment to the Club or the Supporters. If we do not get promoted this year then our Club will face dire economic consequences which will probably result in an extended stay in the Championship or worse. I cannot see success under this current coach and I refuse to accept that our style , if we have one, is something I wish to witness anymore . I will not attend the QPR game. 

8 minutes ago, kenfoggo said:

Trite? Not really, we are discussing the failure of this Club, the whole essence of NCFC being ruined by a lack of any definable style or culture. If you enjoy watching 90 minutes of boredom where Hanley cannot bring himself to pass forward and the rest making less than a handful of efforts on goal all game , then carry on singing Dean Smith’s praises. I have opted out and will no longer attend Carrow Road until there is a change of regime. I have had enough. The Preston North End game was awful the Luton game was the worst I can remember in 55 years of going to Norwich games and although we won against Stoke it was a dire performance. I did not see hunger to win or commitment to the Club or the Supporters. If we do not get promoted this year then our Club will face dire economic consequences which will probably result in an extended stay in the Championship or worse. I cannot see success under this current coach and I refuse to accept that our style , if we have one, is something I wish to witness anymore . I will not attend the QPR game. 

By the sounds of it, the squad will get more encouragement from your empty seat. 

51 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

Director's Box probably the highest average age.

And one of the younger occupants on very generous Club earnings has been photographed leading the folded arms brigade.

7 minutes ago, kenfoggo said:

Pretty much agree with all this except I continue to go to Carrow Rd more out of force of habit but also as I have a relative in Norwich who I like to see regularly. The football ground is not a fun place anymore and even if we were to go on a fantastic winning streak under this manger I'm not sure that atmosphere would change a great deal.

There is a definite disconnect now between Board, manager and fans. 

34 minutes ago, ......and Smith must score. said:

Pretty much agree with all this except I continue to go to Carrow Rd more out of force of habit but also as I have a relative in Norwich who I like to see regularly. The football ground is not a fun place anymore and even if we were to go on a fantastic winning streak under this manger I'm not sure that atmosphere would change a great deal.

Sounds like you need to just take a break from going. 

1 minute ago, ......and Smith must score. said:

Probably do but as football fans know that’s easier said than done

Why though? Genuine question. You pay quite a bit of money to go, you're not enjoying it, you're not enthusiastic, you don't like the football, you don't want to try and change the atmosphere for the better. You must be getting something out of going, surely? 

2 minutes ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

Why though? Genuine question. You pay quite a bit of money to go, you're not enjoying it, you're not enthusiastic, you don't like the football, you don't want to try and change the atmosphere for the better. You must be getting something out of going, surely? 

Smiffy sometimes gets to chat with me. That's reason enough😂 

• Haha 1

47 minutes ago, ......and Smith must score. said:

That's the weird thing about it. I agree that there's so much apathy right now. Not sure about this disconnect being the cause. Most people don't seem to care about anything but the football during games. If you think about the huge disconnect during Chase days it would disappear if the team was winning. I know I keep saying it but it's always all about the football on the pitch.

Maybe the pandemic changed things? Perhaps fans preferred the TV coverage and resent having to go?

On 30/10/2022 at 20:30, Besthorpe-48 said:

I don't think any fan wants our team to lose.

I do think we are used to being entertained which is why we all love Onel. I also think most of us expected to challenge for promotion but forget what a slog the championship is. Saturday was the first time only 2 players from 2019 and 2021cstarted the match. So no longer so much of a hangover for the players. On the other hand I sit in the barclay and think and so we go up then what ..... Twice bitten twice shy and all that can we survive a third beating.

Which leads me to conclude that we don't think this team and this manager will break the mould.

After all doing the same thing again and again and expecting a different result is a sign of a psychotic episode. So maybe the fans are in a collective psychosis. I know there's a name for that be I can't remember what it is.💔💔💔

Re the first line, have you read the article by Lee Payne on the front page

22 minutes ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

To be fair that is a good question especially as it’s a 160-mile round trip. Perhaps the only answer I can give is that I’ve had a season ticket in the South Stand since it was rebuilt and the people who sit around me are a great bunch. Several of them have been there as long as I have and we get along well. All the banter and the ‘ moanin’ and a groanin’ about the current state of Carrow Rd adds a bit of light relief to proceedings.

As I said I also see a relative in the city who I enjoy visiting. I’m hoping the football improves before season ticket renewal time as I’m starting to get thoughts about cancelling which I really don’t want to do even though likely changes in my own domestic situation means I’ve probably be missing some matches anyway.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, ......and Smith must score. said:

To be fair that is a good question especially as it’s a 160-mile round trip. Perhaps the only answer I can give is that I’ve had a season ticket in the South Stand since it was rebuilt and the people who sit around me are a great bunch. Several of them have been there as long as I have and we get along well. All the banter and the ‘ moanin’ and a groanin’ about the current state of Carrow Rd adds a bit of light relief to proceedings.

As I said I also see a relative in the city who I enjoy visiting. I’m hoping the football improves before season ticket renewal time as I’m starting to get thoughts about cancelling which I really don’t want to do even though likely changes in my own domestic situation means I’ve probably be missing some matches anyway.

I think there's a lot of things at play here. Life in general is going to get tougher too. And money's going to get tighter. I'm thankful for the interest free credit, without it I'd have even more to think about.

• Like 1

Just now, nutty nigel said:

I think there's a lot of things at play here. Life in general is going to get tougher too. And money's going to get tighter. I'm thankful for the interest free credit, without it I'd have even more to think about.

I respect how much you love your football Nutty. Come hell or high water you’re always at Carrow Rd and although we don’t always agree on the direction the club takes I’d hate to think you’d ever have to choose between that and something else

• Like 1

22 hours ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

Sounds like you need to just take a break from going. 

Lots of people are judging by the many empty seats usually occupied by ST holders.