Sign in to follow this  
Sjb

Our fans pathetic.

Yes we may think our manager is dire, dull and boring. There's something been amiss at Carrow Road since covid hit. But where is the support for the team?

1-0 up hardly a song or cheer afterwards until we went 2 up. Then at 3-0 when the place would previously be rocking fans where leaving in their droves from the 85min mark, why? What message and encouragement can that give to the players? 

We have absolutely no right to think we'd thrash everyteam, we're not going to. What is going on? The players probably need a lift from the fans but we're sitting quiet, and the claps make me think we're watching a game of snooker. 

• Like 1

It’s clearly a bit chicken-and-egg - players do obviously benefit from having good backing, but supporters also need to be encouraged/enthused by what they are seeing. 

For me, there does seem to be a post-covid/relegation hangover in the stands, hopefully if performances improve so will the atmosphere.

The trouble is that fans stated watching a dire /boring display is not helping to inspire .even some pundits agree- so its up to the team to show some commitment also. plus the board not helping neither but treating fans with contempt. there is certainly a disconnection throughout the norwich city - so I can understand how some fans feel- 

It was quiet for long periods yesterday but in the Barclay at least it sparked to life after Todd came on for a bit. I stayed till the final whistle and I didn’t notice too many going early no more than usual, it certainly wasn’t like it was against Luton where it was half empty at the end. you’ll always get the old “I’ll beat the traffic” crowd who leave close to the end. 

35 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

Get the flags out of the cupboard, that would help. 😜

Yes where are the flags?

You would hope it's still a covid issue or a club issue. I'd hate to think it's "we only wave them when we're winning". Because that's not what support is about.

**I say that as a fan who loves the flags and the atmosphere they help create. Not as a flag critic.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Sjb said:

dire, dull and boring.

You shot your own argument to bits in the first line.

There is also the apathy from scoring which went though most peoples minds, quote me and claim im wrong (im not) but half the people watching the game actually thought

"Oh sh1t, a win means that Smith gets more time and a loss would have probably been his job...."

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sjb said:

Yes we may think our manager is dire, dull and boring. There's something been amiss at Carrow Road since covid hit. But where is the support for the team?

1-0 up hardly a song or cheer afterwards until we went 2 up. Then at 3-0 when the place would previously be rocking fans where leaving in their droves from the 85min mark, why? What message and encouragement can that give to the players? 

We have absolutely no right to think we'd thrash everyteam, we're not going to. What is going on? The players probably need a lift from the fans but we're sitting quiet, and the claps make me think we're watching a game of snooker. 

Again it all boils down to Delia, the EPL elephant and the bigger picture at play here.

If people want the flags they should help put them out and collect them at the end of the game.

I personally think the people who do this are brilliant, I wish I could help but as I can't you won't find me complaining about someone using their time to try and do some good.

Fans initiatives like the PUPs, the Supporters club and the flags are done by volunteers, they should be applauded. 

39 minutes ago, baldy09 said:

The trouble is that fans stated watching a dire /boring display is not helping to inspire .even some pundits agree- so its up to the team to show some commitment also. plus the board not helping neither but treating fans with contempt. there is certainly a disconnection throughout the norwich city - so I can understand how some fans feel- 

Spot on. 
There is a massive disconnect with the club and fans. 
we have a Manager who appears to have been a compromise appointment who is struggling to get an identity. A Bean Counter who critcises the atmosphere. A smug DoF who thinks he is a legend in his own lunchtime. Owners who are now sadly outdated. 
Smith Out. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

We needed a drummer yesterday. He seems to have been sacked already.

No, we really didn’t…always hated it, it was short lived when they did it under Ken Brown in the 80s.   I do think the flags are good though obviously take a fair bit of organising which, sadly, the people doing it get little thanks for.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, baldy09 said:

It’s the performance - I don’t buy this ‘disconnect’ thing one bit, I’m not sure where it came from but if we start playing well the atmosphere will be good.  No one but no one  is Sat there thinking ‘the finance director said x or y’!

• Like 3

We had the flags a few games back

What we need is get the drummer back

Get some decent music when the players come out

Get rid of that Tampa Time game at halftime and get a stripper on 

Or Delia leading a drunken rendition of Sweet Caroline where we can all join in

Edited by daly
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, daly said:

We had the flags a few games back

What we need is get the drummer back

Get some decent music when the players come out

Get rid of that Tampa Time game at halftime and get a stripper on 

Or Delia leading a drunken rendition of Sweet Caroline where we can all join in

Everyone does Sweet Caroline now.

We need Tom dressed up as a postman leading a rendition of Hev Yew Gotta Loight Boiy where we can all join in...

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

No, we really didn’t…always hated it, it was short lived when they did it under Ken Brown in the 80s.   I do think the flags are good though obviously take a fair bit of organising which, sadly, the people doing it get little thanks for.

It was a tongue in cheek comment, calm down.

If flags are that important, and I'm not sure they are, why not incentivise people to put them out, e.g. free matchday tickets for schools and/or volunteers?

2 hours ago, Sjb said:

Supporting a football club is a collective thing, but we have a society that favours individualism over collective action, individual rights over collective responsibility. It means that every supporter has the right to support the team in whatever way they see fit, and that's reinforced by the fact that all of supporters in the club are also paying customers that are buying a fairly expensive entertainment experience to enjoy, or not, however they see fit. 

I looked at the faces in the crowd on the TV yesterday and it was as you said; I've seen more expression around a Poker table, but in fairness, the play had been generally unattractive and uninspiring. In an ordinary time the goal on its own should be enough, but as others have said, there has been a lot of other disappointments over the last few years to put people in a somewhat depressive state of mind regarding the club that makes it much harder for people to actually see any positives. 

Later in the game, the mood seemed to become more animated, but it's kind of worrying that large numbers of people still weren't interested enough in the game to stay until the end. 

Speaking from personal experience, depression is a state where a sense of hopelessness leads to all negative events being focussed on and any positives are largely discarded; this is where we're at with regard to looking at the progression of this season for most people.

The other thing I know about depression is that it's very hard for external positive events to change the mood in the face of a mindset that tends to stay fixed to focus on the negatives until the individual decides they want to try and change the mindset from feeling overwhelmed by negatives and instead focussing on positives while regarding negatives as problems that can be overcome. There's no way of forcing that for one person, let alone a large chunk of a whole fan base. 

Supporting a football club is something where the only positive you can bring to the table in terms of helping the club succeed is good wishes. The rest you just have to trust in others to do their best and use their best judgement, because none of us have any control over how things are organised. 

Basically, happy clappers are the best. 😉 (joke). 

Edited by littleyellowbirdie
  • Like 3

22 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

It’s the performance - I don’t buy this ‘disconnect’ thing one bit, I’m not sure where it came from but if we start playing well the atmosphere will be good.  No one but no one  is Sat there thinking ‘the finance director said x or y’!

I don't buy it either. It's just a modern way of saying fans are peed off when expectations aren't met. I've watched this cycle go round constantly for 56 years. The only difference is that because of so many season tickets the attendances don't suffer like they did 56 years ago.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

Everyone does Sweet Caroline now.

We need Tom dressed up as a postman leading a rendition of Hev Yew Gotta Loight Boiy where we can all join in...

I’ve always wondered why we never play yellow submarine like they do at Villarreal in Spain. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nutty nigel said:

Yes where are the flags?

You would hope it's still a covid issue or a club issue. I'd hate to think it's "we only wave them when we're winning". Because that's not what support is about.

**I say that as a fan who loves the flags and the atmosphere they help create. Not as a flag critic.

The Board certainly could help repair a few bridges with the fans by unconditionally working with ACN et al and reinstating the flags, supporting the positioning of flags around the stands. All the conditions they impose are frankly nonsense and a step too far in hiding behind red tape - the fans enjoyed all the TLC given them in celebrating their support. The club are paying in part with a reduced atmosphere as the pent up enthusiasm of the fans has been blocked. Frankly they are reaping what they have sown.

16 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

I don't buy it either. It's just a modern way of saying fans are peed off when expectations aren't met. I've watched this cycle go round constantly for 56 years. The only difference is that because of so many season tickets the attendances don't suffer like they did 56 years ago.

The attendance figure given yesterday was inaccurate as to the actual attendance 

8 seats next to me all vacant 

Don’t think it was anything to do with hygiene 

36 minutes ago, By Hook or Ian crook said:

I’ve always wondered why we never play yellow submarine like they do at Villarreal in Spain. 

Maybe because it’s not our nickname, but it is theirs. Just a thought!

24 minutes ago, daly said:

The attendance figure given yesterday was inaccurate as to the actual attendance 

8 seats next to me all vacant 

Don’t think it was anything to do with hygiene 

Do you think they might have been trying to tell you something?!😆

Honestly think that the best thing would be press forward with stadium redevelopment to shake everything up. The club needs new blood in the stands and people to be able to buy blocks of seats to sit in groups with their mates again. Unfortunately the last set of accounts make this scenario unlikely. 

• Like 1

Those flags were purchased with around £7000 donated by fans and it is ridiculous that apart from one appearance i think it is since Covid they have gathered dust in a cupboard under the Barclay. I didn't agree with the money  being given to an unelected group of guys and girls with no accountability to those who coughed up the money which somehow got twisted into that i don't like and object to the flags but hey ho that is the PinkUn for you i suppose.

So as a gesture i will make myself available Wednesday afternoon to help so who is in and who and where do you report to unless of course @nutty nigel has finished by then ?

@Puntino

Edited by TIL 1010
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, By Hook or Ian crook said:

So we can all sing 'We all p*ss in a blue and white pot' like we did in the 60's - excellent idea 👍🏽

• Haha 2