Sign in to follow this  
Canary Jedi

Jeers for Dowell

Felt sorry for him when we cheered his substitution, but the jeers were unfortunately well deserved.

Over his entire time with us, it’s unfortunately a minority of games where he has risen to the levels we were led to believe he was capable of.

It’s one bad performance too many today. I therefore sanction his moving on come January.

Stuart, this is not the dynamic playmaker you are looking for…

• Like 5

I felt really sorry for the lad. He’s been unwell for a week or two then thrown straight in like that by smith. He looked off the pace but he tried his best, I don’t think we’ve seen the best of Dowell yet as a club to be honest. Very stop start so far with us. 

He didn't deserve it from the fans and equally Smith shouldn't have started him. Considerably off the pace.

• Like 5

Yeah I thought it was harsh from the fans, especially as his replacement was utterly dreadful when he came on in the last game.

He'll be off on a free in the summer.

Suspect he'll head back up north to Blackburn, Preston, Stoke Wigan or somewhere closer to Liverpool. 

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

I am a big fan of Dowell at number 10. I think he has a quality about his final ball that is lacking in the rest of the squad. But today was one of the worst performances I've seen from a Championship midfielder. He looked like he was treading water and simply couldn't get anything right. 

He fully deserved the jeers. He was almost comically bad and should never start out wide again. 

• Like 1

Horrendous decision to start a player who was nowhere near fit, but his positional sense was very poor and we ended up no one on the right except for B Grass. I felt for him when everyone cheered when he went off but football can be harsh.

Another poor petty official, but from where I was sitting Dowells yellow looked a rather nasty and slightly cowardly tackle, have to be honest 

27 minutes ago, Worthy Nigelton said:

He's not a winger or midfielder. If we insist on 433 we might as well sell him. He's a number 10.

We weren't 433 today to be fair.

He was just gently trotting around the pitch until he was subbed off.

Then again, laryngitis does make you a little hoarse.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Petriix said:

I am a big fan of Dowell at number 10. I think he has a quality about his final ball that is lacking in the rest of the squad. But today was one of the worst performances I've seen from a Championship midfielder. He looked like he was treading water and simply couldn't get anything right. 

He fully deserved the jeers. He was almost comically bad and should never start out wide again. 

Totally agree but that is the manager's fault 100%. When he's fit, Dowell has real quality. watch the way he set up our goal at Watford for proof.

38 minutes ago, hogesar said:

We weren't 433 today to be fair.

I know, but that is the reason he hasn't performed for Smith as he's been played out wide most of the time.

• Like 2

I never quite understood the idea with Dowell. Sure he hits an occassional assist or an occassional goal. But his workrate seems so low to me. Im not sure if that view is actually correct, but he is so anonymous for a player who ostensibly is a technical #10. He is not good at involving himself in a game.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fr. Chewy Louie said:

He’s never going to win much in the air or do anyone for pace, but he didn’t deliver a lot when he had the ball at his feet either. 

Don’t sound that he’s got much going for him

I was watching him closely today and couldn't help but think he is just plain lazy. Reminded me of a less talented Leroy Fer! A few times he got beaten by a man, jogged after him for 2 or 3 yards and then just stopped. I don't think that can ever be justified from a professional footballer. 

Although Cantwell hasn't done much this season and despite his recent antics over the last couple of seasons, one thing I will say is that he is working hard when he does get on the pitch. 

I always struggle to pick out many good performances from Kieran, apart from THAT win over Huddersfield a few years ago. He never looks industrious enough to control a game. I'd rather have Vrancic back. 

6 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

I’d sooner start with McLean, and I’m sober stating that. 

McLean will be back for QPR so you can forget being excited by Cantwell, Nunez and Sara.

It will be Hayden, Gibbs and McLean. 

He seems a luxury player. When everything is working perfectly he can show his undoubted ability on the ball but if not he's a passenger. We shouldn't renew his contract.

Let's be totally clear about this: Dowell touched the ball exactly 15 times in the 55 minutes he played. He attempted just 9 passes of which only 2 were accurate. This includes the corners he took. Those stats don't include the two perfectly good passes that he failed to run on to. 

It was the single worst performance I've ever seen from a Championship midfielder. 

• Like 1

He was appalling, but it was a ****ing joke that he was started. Cantwell was one of the only players v Burnley to come out with any credit (along with Tomkinson) and he gets dropped for someone barely out of illness.

Absolutely baffling, senseless decision.

I didn't like the jeering, as a 10 in a 4-2-3-1 he has a lot to offer us, but playing wide after a bout of illness is something no one with a brain should have considered. Feel sorry for the bloke. But at the same time I'm with Petrix, it was one of the worst individual performances I've ever seen.

• Like 1

Within 20 minutes it was clear he needed to come off. I know it takes a brave manager to sub a player off before the half is finished, but we were essentially playing with 10 men. For him to come back out after half time was a terrible piece of judgement from him and DS. Fortunately though we weren't punished and, for as much of a poor decision as it appeared, we should have a stronger and fresher line up for Wednesday against a better side.

56 minutes ago, Petriix said:

Let's be totally clear about this: Dowell touched the ball exactly 15 times in the 55 minutes he played. He attempted just 9 passes of which only 2 were accurate. This includes the corners he took. Those stats don't include the two perfectly good passes that he failed to run on to. 

It was the single worst performance I've ever seen from a Championship midfielder. 

Not quite imo.  Marley Watkins away - sometime in the early 2019 season.  Can't remember against who, but couldn't believe my eyes.  He was hooked at halftime.