Sign in to follow this  
Thirsty Lizard

Sam McCallum

He looks the business there and It's good to have a proper left back finally, although it wouldn't surprise me if he's dropped to the bench and Kenny is slotted back in there Wednesday night. 🤣

Edited by GodlyOtsemobor

2 minutes ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

And boy, is he good in the air for a left back. 

I was thinking that. Him on the left holding back more could free Aarons on the right.

Sam signed for us in January 2020, since then he's played 66 games on loan.

The club have done an excellent job recruiting a talent and then managing his progression, the Sporting Director, Recruitment Team, Loans Manager and coaches should be recognised for the great job they've done.

Also we should give fulsome praise to Sam, he shows what patience and hard work can achieve. 

• Like 3

Played very well on the whole but was caught badly out for their goal. No idea what he was doing sucked into the middle, he hadn't tracked the player on the outside

Just now, AJ said:

Played very well on the whole but was caught badly out for their goal. No idea what he was doing sucked into the middle, he hadn't tracked the player on the outside

I think he looked shattered. He virtually gave up. But played his part in a team that won. Does tend to fall for the winger blocking his clearances at times.

He was good first half but not so much 2nd when Stoke pressed forward. His yellow card for time wasting was disappointing.

Bit raw but definitely got potential and some get up and go.

With him at left back and Byram at right  back we seem a lot more equipped to deal with balls in the air. Both got their heads to things.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Capt. Pants said:

He was good first half but not so much 2nd when Stoke pressed forward. His yellow card for time wasting was disappointing.

Actually I felt sorry for him for that - it kept happening throughout the game, nobody was making runs for the thrower-in to aim at. Symptomatic of our performance I thought.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, A Load of Squit said:

The club have done an excellent job recruiting a talent and then managing his progression, the Sporting Director, Recruitment Team, Loans Manager and coaches should be recognised for the great job they've done.

Also we should give fulsome praise to Sam, he shows what patience and hard work can achieve. 

Bali Mumba* is going well out on loan. Gibbs was an absolute steal. Incredibly quick progress. I do think we should, at some stage, make an ex gratia payment to them (😏).

Tomkinson and Omobamidele, following in the footsteps of Godfrey. Add in Rowe and possibly Springett. Goalies coming out of our ears (remember the whines about re-signing Gunn) and the youth set up is producing the goods - Lewis, Maddison. Aarons and Cantwell.

Though we can't seem to produce another Bellamy or Eadie as I think Idah flatters to deceive. i cannot see him ever being what we need in the PL

* Football League Youth Player of the Month September

Edited by PockthorpePete

1 hour ago, keelansgrandad said:

I think he looked shattered. He virtually gave up. But played his part in a team that won. Does tend to fall for the winger blocking his clearances at times.

This was exactly how I saw it. Got done twice in injury time and the second time they scored. He had put in a helluva shift.

3 minutes ago, Drazen Muzinic said:

This was exactly how I saw it. Got done twice in injury time and the second time they scored. He had put in a helluva shift.

A few weeks ago we weren't expecting to see him play again for us until after the World Cup. Smith has been very complimentary about his effort and dedication in getting fit again long before expected - and was also very complimentary about his enthusiasm and desire to play after not having much full training. It was McCallum's second full shift for us in 4 days after a long time out so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt for looking knackered in the 92nd minute. 

• Like 4

On 29/10/2022 at 19:54, Thirsty Lizard said:

A few weeks ago we weren't expecting to see him play again for us until after the World Cup. Smith has been very complimentary about his effort and dedication in getting fit again long before expected - and was also very complimentary about his enthusiasm and desire to play after not having much full training. It was McCallum's second full shift for us in 4 days after a long time out so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt for looking knackered in the 92nd minute. 

Same applies to Hayden though really.

Neither McCallum or Hayden are what you'd consider fully match fit, not without a week between 90s.

Touch wood both will stay injury free and get fully up to speed, don't want another Normann situation with Hayden do we with patches of great form followed by long periods being either injured or not up to scratch.

On 29/10/2022 at 18:11, A Load of Squit said:

Afternoon Stuart

• Haha 2

On 29/10/2022 at 18:19, AJ said:

If I remember correctly didn't the same happen for the two other chances that Stoke headed over.

But looks to have genuine quality and can (hopefully) only improve these areas with more game time.

Isn't that why we have an experienced center back as Captain to coach the young players on where to position? Or maybe I'm missing something there... 

51 minutes ago, Mello Yello said:

Sam's definitely one for the future......

......to be sold for profit......

Every young player on Norwich's books are for sale eventually. 

It's been that way forever. It's called the football pyramid. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Surfer said:

Every young player on Norwich's books are for sale eventually. 

It's been that way forever. It's called the football pyramid. 

Really a football pyramid?....Is Sadat right? Well I'm in de Nile as I never knew that?.....Suez you seem an informed Giza - therefore do you sphinx we'll get a Pharaoh price for him?....We should try our Luxor we might miss out?.... 

• Haha 2

16 minutes ago, Mello Yello said:

Really a football pyramid?....Is Sadat right? Well I'm in de Nile as I never knew that?.....Suez you seem an informed Giza - therefore do you sphinx we'll get a Pharaoh price for him?....We should try our Luxor we might miss out?.... 

Who's going to PUNish you for this, now Pete has moved on? And you know you should be, don't you.

10 hours ago, OTBC06 said:

If I remember correctly didn't the same happen for the two other chances that Stoke headed over.

But looks to have genuine quality and can (hopefully) only improve these areas with more game time.

Very good point, I didn't think that at the time but from memory both came from his side

On 29/10/2022 at 19:26, ron obvious said:

Actually I felt sorry for him for that - it kept happening throughout the game, nobody was making runs for the thrower-in to aim at. Symptomatic of our performance I thought.

Yeah fair comment. Generally I love his attitude and he's definitely benefited from loans to Coventry and QPR.

When he first arrived he admitted to being a bit overwhelmed, but certainly has come on really well. I think I'd have him as first choice now partly because of his physicality.