Sign in to follow this  
hogesar

Booing the Hernandez substitution.

Confused me. He had done nothing second half.

Cantwell and Nunez came on and changed the game.

Maybe managers do know better than fans 😉

• Like 3

He was our best player in the first half and the game was drifting away from us at that point so it's understandable.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, KeiranShikari said:

I get that football is mostly about cult of personality these days but Hernandez is really not a good footballer. 

I'm inclined to agree

2 minutes ago, Creedence Clearwater Couto said:

You can’t help a dig at Norwich fans, can you!

I said maybe and winked. We know who booed from the reactions to my post 🙃

5 minutes ago, Mr.Carrow said:

Sadly many fans were waiting for any excuse to boo.

And the first 70 minutes gave them every chance. Its easy to argue inspired substitutions but its also easy to say they were made out of necessity.

They worked is all that matters and proved to the coach that he has the talent at his disposal. Just let them play.

1 minute ago, Petriix said:

He was our best player in the first half and the game was drifting away from us at that point so it's understandable.

He dragged us up the pitch first half. He was good and fair play to him. But he couldn't get into the game at all second half and the substitutions not only made sense on paper but in reality drastically changed the game.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, hogesar said:

The problem with Nunez is that he's so fun to watch, even if he is totally ineffective. 

1 minute ago, hogesar said:

He dragged us up the pitch first half. He was good and fair play to him. But he couldn't get into the game at all second half and the substitutions not only made sense on paper but in reality drastically changed the game.

I thought he linked up well with McCallum a few times in the second half and was very unlucky with the ball apparently just crossing the line when he was away.

But, yes, bringing Cantwell on was the right move.

4 minutes ago, KeiranShikari said:

I get that football is mostly about cult of personality these days but Hernandez is really not a good footballer. 

I listened to Mick McCarthy commenting on the WBA v Blades match. I am a bit of an admirer of his and don't believe he is the donkey so many of our biased supporters think he is. He talks so much sense at times.

He queried why strikers are so shallow in the box for crosses. And the WBA strikers were. So I watched Teemu and he was the same. Rather than get six yards from goal, he was 12 and made it harder for Onel to pick him out.

I don't think Onel is the answer by the way but I can see why some of his crosses appear to be poor. Beckham used to say he put it in the box and it was up to the strikers to get on the end of them.

1 minute ago, keelansgrandad said:

I listened to Mick McCarthy commenting on the WBA v Blades match. I am a bit of an admirer of his and don't believe he is the donkey so many of our biased supporters think he is. He talks so much sense at times.

He queried why strikers are so shallow in the box for crosses. And the WBA strikers were. So I watched Teemu and he was the same. Rather than get six yards from goal, he was 12 and made it harder for Onel to pick him out.

I don't think Onel is the answer by the way but I can see why some of his crosses appear to be poor. Beckham used to say he put it in the box and it was up to the strikers to get on the end of them.

Not a slight on Onel because it can be valuable but I don't believe he thinks that much about his crosses. I think he just plays on pure instinct. 

Subs completely changed the game, great leadership from Todd on the field and all of a sudden players wanting the ball. 

• Like 1

Was absolutely the right call to take Onel off, shocking reaction from some in the Barclay and Snakepit

• Like 1

Played well but with limited end product as usual. Was a little annoying to see him taken off when he was our best outlet up until that point, but Ironically the subs won us the game

I think it's because Hernandez is rated far higher than his ability because he's a cult hero. 

As soon as an unpopular coach subs a popular player, there'll be grumbles. 

I was thinking at the time that Cantwell for Hernandez looked an obvious change, although I'll admit that I thought Nuñez for Hayden was an odd one as the midfield looked like it would be a bit lightweight as we were holding on to a 1-0 lead.

Edited by Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man
  • Like 1

Just now, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

I think it's because Hernandez is rated far higher than his ability because he's a cult hero. 

As soon as an unpopular coach subs a popular player, there'll be grumbles. 

I was thinking at the time that Cantwell for Hernandez looked an obvious change, although I'll admit that I Nuñez for Hayden was an odd one as the midfield looked like it would be a bit lightweight as we were holding on to a 1-0 lead.

Yeah thats fair.

One thing I'm happy to see is Smith not afraid to make changes that he knows the fans won't react well to. There's been times managers have been under pressure and it's felt like they've made changes just to keep the fans on side a bit longer.

• Like 1

I can understand why there were boos when Hernandez went off. He's a fans favourite at games and we love him. Maybe the coaches in the South stand don't love him but they never get excited about anything anyway. 

He runs down the wing and he'll do for me👍💛💚

2 hours ago, hogesar said:

Agreed. The fans have made Onel akin to a God so when a manager most of us don't like and with the poor standard of our performance for 70 mins, the natives were always going to show displeasure at their hero being removed. 

22 minutes ago, yellowrider120 said:

Agreed. The fans have made Onel akin to a God so when a manager most of us don't like and with the poor standard of our performance for 70 mins, the natives were always going to show displeasure at their hero being removed. 

Criticising fans is becoming an epidemic...

42 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

I can understand why there were boos when Hernandez went off. He's a fans favourite at games and we love him. Maybe the coaches in the South stand don't love him but they never get excited about anything anyway. 

He runs down the wing and he'll do for me👍💛💚

Yeah he's a great guy and puts in a shift, and on top of that played well in the first half. He drifted in the second half though and if fans think because he's a favourite he should never be subject to performance-related decisions then there's something wrong..

Just now, hogesar said:

Yeah he's a great guy and puts in a shift, and on top of that played well in the first half. He drifted in the second half though and if fans think because he's a favourite he should never be subject to performance-related decisions then there's something wrong..

I don't think fans think like that. It's just that with Onel going off the pitch the potential for something happening to be excited about had been reduced. As it happened the subs changed the game and the substitutions were justified. That doesn't make the fans reactions wrong. Players who are exciting, love the club and love the fans are rare these days. 

• Like 5

5 hours ago, hogesar said:

Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

Onel was pretty much the only one up to that point who looked like he was trying to make something happen.

Yes it was the right sub, but I can understand the crowds frustration given what we’d seen up to that point.