Sign in to follow this  
Mr.Carrow

Cantwell

1 minute ago, Creedence Clearwater Couto said:

If McCallum engages, a ball is played straight behind him for the attacker to run onto, and he’s out the game - and Gibsons got a problem in the penalty area. 

I get what you say RE Ramsey, but at this point Cantwell has to close down and forget Dozzell. Dozzell may burst forward, but city are in shape defensively with two backs of 4 in front of him. 

Its something that needs to be worked on, but how many times has Cantwell started with McCallum this season? Two? Three max?

Takes time to build an understanding.

For me when the coaches go back over the game at Colney, as would usually be the case, I think Ramsay would be included in the conversation 100%.

Makes no difference really either way QPR didn't score and Cantwell was hauled off after 70mins!

Todd needs his managers confidence and backing 100% to go and do what he does best. The unfortunate bit is no one seems to have 100% confidence under Smith and has done since his arrival. Fully expect Cantwell to be benched against Rotherham and Dowell/Hernandez to start.

My point is give the lad the 90mins to shine over 4 or 5 games. Then we have a fair assessment to judge.

• Like 2

Just now, TeemuVanBasten said:

Its something that needs to be worked on, but how many times has Cantwell started with McCallum this season? Two? Three max?

Takes time to build an understanding.

For me when the coaches go back over the game at Colney, as would usually be the case, I think Ramsay would be included in the conversation 100%.

Yes, I agree.

A few things to work on, but ultimately why Smith needs to tweak and not make wholesale changes. 

3 minutes ago, Tony DaWonderful said:

Makes no difference really either way QPR didn't score and Cantwell was hauled off after 70mins!

Todd needs his managers confidence and backing 100% to go and do what he does best. The unfortunate bit is no one seems to have 100% confidence under Smith and has done since his arrival. Fully expect Cantwell to be benched against Rotherham and Dowell/Hernandez to start.

My point is give the lad the 90mins to shine over 4 or 5 games. Then we have a fair assessment to judge.

I’m coming across overly critical, but it’s a situation that stood out as soon as I saw it. And you do wonder why Cantwell seems to lack trust from Smith. 

My issue with Cantwell is that he’s actually quite limited. He’s a 10 in a 4-2-3-1, and that’s about it. Same for Dowell. Both are wasted and often carried playing anywhere else.

I came out with lots of acerbic, and sometimes nasty, comments about Cantwell last season, but I have to admit he has worked his socks off this year. He's a long way from the Cantwell of 20/21, though, although he seems to be getting closer.

My stream showed him as he left the pitch and I got the feeling he was pretty pissed off. I hope I'm wrong. He can definitely add something no one else seems capable of contributing if he's on his game.

3 minutes ago, Creedence Clearwater Couto said:

My issue with Cantwell is that he’s actually quite limited. He’s a 10 in a 4-2-3-1, and that’s about it. Same for Dowell. Both are wasted and often carried playing anywhere else.

Sounds like Wes.

Just now, canarybubbles said:

My stream showed him as he left the pitch and I got the feeling he was pretty pissed off.

Perhaps frustrated not to bag or assist.

His numbers have been dreadful, he must be desperate for a good goal or a crucial assist. He's been unlucky recently not to register both.

4 minutes ago, Creedence Clearwater Couto said:

Never compare Cantwell to Wes again!! 😅

Why not? At 24 Wes Hoolahan was a Livingston player where he pulled up no trees.

Cantwell by comparison, at 24, has 2 x Championship Winners Medals. 

Who knows what Cantwell's career could be in 5 years time. Could be in League Two, could be in the Premier League. Could still be at Norwich as a club legend, could be a complete mercenary.

Who knows.

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

4 minutes ago, Creedence Clearwater Couto said:

I’m coming across overly critical, but it’s a situation that stood out as soon as I saw it. And you do wonder why Cantwell seems to lack trust from Smith. 

Don't think you're over critical at all and have every right to point out his defensive falabilities. Just think he is the sharpest creative force at the moment and on an upward trajectory form wise rather than Dowell or Onel who seemed to have levelled out.

The 10 role is a bit of a poison chalice at the moment and needs someone to make it their own.