Sign in to follow this  
Mr.Carrow

Cantwell

49 minutes ago, Mr.Carrow said:

Helped him win a ball he had no right to, to spark the second goal. 

He looks physically the same to me, just fitter and more focused on proving a point.

Oops, could have used this thread to bring this up.

No new contract incoming then. Wonder which side/or both is saying nah.

Edited by KeiranShikari

Just now, KeiranShikari said:

Oops, could have used this thread to bring this up.

No new contract incoming then. Wonder which side/or both is saying nah.

That’s a worrying comment and real shame after the performance today. I don’t think him and Webber see eye to eye but I’d love us to be able to agree a new contract with him

• Like 1

Not too surprising considering his long stints of not giving everything though. Not to mention I seem to remember Webber making some comments implying he didn't like his agents/advisors.

None of this will change his performance for 20 mins today. If he carries on like that he will get a new contract if he wants it. Why wouldn't he?

This Cantwell play has been coming for a while. This season when he has been given the chance he hasnt necessarily sparkled. Things havent quite come for him. But he has done a lot of simple things right. Doing his tracking back and pressing with enthusiasm. It seems that he has mentally shifted. He realizes he is not too good for Norwich and not too good for the championship. Now giving the impression of a more humble harder worker.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

All this thread needs now is the seal of approval from @Bert and Todd will have been welcomed back to the fold. 😂

I am hoping his instagram quote means his contract isn’t being renewed 

4 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Looks like a vastly different player from the mysterious social media poster and ghoster we had from him a year ago. Full credit to him, shows what happens when you stick your head down and just get on with it.

He is fascinating to watch on the pitch though. He was pulling off some really great moves while simultaneously putting me in mind of Bambi on ice. 

• Like 1

It will be a sad day if he doesn't sign a new contract. Unless we can find someone better on a free transfer it's a no brainer for me.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, KeiranShikari said:

No new contract incoming then. Wonder which side/or both is saying nah

It's pretty widely known that Todd was offered and rejected a new contract. Presumably there's something still on the table but I would imagine he could easily find a Premier League club willing to pay far more than we could afford. 

Just now, Petriix said:

It's pretty widely known that Todd was offered and rejected a new contract. Presumably there's something still on the table but I would imagine he could easily find a Premier League club willing to pay far more than we could afford. 

Must have missed the offer.

Not sure he could easily find a Premier League club though. 

Just now, KeiranShikari said:

Must have missed the offer.

Not sure he could easily find a Premier League club though. 

Feel free to drag up this thread when he doesn't and laugh at me. As far as I'm concerned he's our biggest 'weapon' after Pukki.

1 hour ago, TIL 1010 said:

All this thread needs now is the seal of approval from @Bert and Todd will have been welcomed back to the fold. 😂

Nah the real seal of approval would be if Lakey came on and agreed lol

I’m Cantwell’s biggest critic, today he changed the game and had an impact. I’m not going to go as far as saying we should be clamouring to get him to sign a new big contract with massive wages, because he hasn’t warranted that, BUT boy done good today. Hope it continues and hope Dowell gets benched or left out of the squad. I cannot think of a game he has ever really affected more than a fleeting glimpse. He was woeful today. 

Edited by SwearyCanary

13 minutes ago, Petriix said:

Feel free to drag up this thread when he doesn't and laugh at me. As far as I'm concerned he's our biggest 'weapon' after Pukki.

Wouldn't do that but I think his star has shone a bit in regards to the Premier League though. He was okay but not amazing in our last promotion season, he was non existent last year and whilst he's upped the effort this season he's not exactly putting up numbers. 

If think the only way he gets a Premier League move is if a poor side gets promoted and gambles on him rediscovering the Todd from 4 or 5 years ago. The better sides won't be giving up a reg spot.

4 hours ago, hogesar said:

Dean has done well to get Todd back on side and playing well.

Kind of further begs the question why he didn't start ahead of Dowell.

Well done Dean 

Must have been a hell of a job getting Todd back on side given he’s probably on around £40000 a week

Fair play to Todd for his performances and effort put in , he really has turned it around he maybe a dickhea d but he's a very creative one and we need him .,

6 hours ago, Creedence Clearwater Couto said:

Fair play, I don’t rate him. But he played well. Good decision by Smith to use him from the bench?

You don’t rate him. Can we ask the source of your amazing ability to decide who is good or not. Maybe you could help Paddy with his ratings, which have become increasingly strange in recent weeks.

34 minutes ago, Commonsense said:

You don’t rate him. Can we ask the source of your amazing ability to decide who is good or not. Maybe you could help Paddy with his ratings, which have become increasingly strange in recent weeks.

I think his source is the last 2 and a half years tbf 

2 hours ago, Petriix said:

This.  An on song Cantwell where he puts in the work-rate along with the vision is absolutely our biggest weapon after Pukki.  He is the player that all my non-City supporting mates who know something about football ask about and also incidentally the one most disadvantaged by the move to 4-3-3 albeit with Pukki not far behind.

I hope that Webber gives him a clean slate in any future negotiation and looks at what he does and could bring to the team.  I think the failed Bournemouth move has opened his eyes as to what made him successful in the first place and his recent cameos have demonstrated that.  If he gets a better offer than we can afford or are prepared to make, or wants to go himself then fair enough.  But to let him move on for the wrong reasons would just be small minded.

• Like 1

Played well against Sheffield I thought too. He does appear to get targeted by other players, and at times needs protection from the ref. The problem is he can be a little dramatic and this may influence officials. I’m left slightly concerned for him but also slightly cringing. 

29 minutes ago, SwearyCanary said:

I think his source is the last 2 and a half years tbf 

Really! So I imagined those fantastic performances in the last promotion season. There were no games when the commentators from different local radio stations raved about him on I-follow. I really must have been living in a fantasy world. 

7 hours ago, Barham Blitz said:

This.  An on song Cantwell where he puts in the work-rate along with the vision is absolutely our biggest weapon after Pukki.  He is the player that all my non-City supporting mates who know something about football ask about and also incidentally the one most disadvantaged by the move to 4-3-3 albeit with Pukki not far behind.

I hope that Webber gives him a clean slate in any future negotiation and looks at what he does and could bring to the team.  I think the failed Bournemouth move has opened his eyes as to what made him successful in the first place and his recent cameos have demonstrated that.  If he gets a better offer than we can afford or are prepared to make, or wants to go himself then fair enough.  But to let him move on for the wrong reasons would just be small minded.

Webber is allegedly not an enormous fan of Cantwell’s agent.

Webber must do what is best for Norwich City, Cantwell’s Agent must do what is best for Cantwell’s career.

When Norwich were relegated and Cantwell was hot, Teams wanted him for half-decent money. Cantwell’s agent agitated for a move, feeling that ‘when you’re hot, you’re hot’ that Cantwell is (likely) a confidence player and that he could get more money moving away from a hometown club that - as with many - typically lowball pay of homegrown stars. 

Events have perhaps indicated that the agent was not a million miles from the eventualité, though what was cause-and-effect would certainly be open to fair conjecture. 

Agents receive a great deal of criticism and some is justified. Clubs however do what is their best interests. This is not always what is best for the ‘pure’ career of players (which is short, with risk and with limited windows of big money).

This is neither an endorsement of Cantwell’s agent, not a criticism of Webber’s actions, though I suspect it is important context in the rather untypical fluctuations in Cantwell’s form and effectiveness. 

Parma 

Edited by Parma Ham's gone mouldy
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Commonsense said:

Really! So I imagined those fantastic performances in the last promotion season. There were no games when the commentators from different local radio stations raved about him on I-follow. I really must have been living in a fantasy world. 

He played ok in the last promotion season. Which was 2 seasons ago. It’s great that you back him, it’s totally fine for others to make their judgement of what they see of him. He is championship level when he is playing to his best, he needs a truly class player in Buendia beside him to be his most effective as without him he doesn’t have the ability to beat any kind of robust opposition. He played well yesterday. With fresh legs. Against Stoke. Well done to the lad, but I’ll need to see more to rate him beyond a purple patch a few years ago.

• Like 1

I'm not a massive fan of Cantwell (poor attitude mainly )and think hes been very over rated in the past cause hes not quick enough to play at a higher level but he was decent yesterday with lots of energy, good attitude and commitment. - When hes on song hes a decent championship player.

22 hours ago, chicken said:

Sargent now also becomes a bit of a conundrum too. He is our top-scorer, and yet, as much as I rate him and he has performed this year, he wouldn't have done what Pukki did today.

I know some folks have suggested playing Pukki in the middle of the three with Sargent ahead of him, almost in a reverse of the Pukki/Stiepermann combo. 

Sargent 

Cantwell, Gibbs, Pukki 

We don't have a fit right winger anyway, all width comes from our RFB (or not at the moment) so Pukki on the right can't be any worse.

He can still run onto defense splitting through balls.  

We all have cult heroes. Cantwell is just more like Emi used to be before his mind was at ease, wildly inconsistent, moments of genius in between moments where he can't give a rat's. Mercurial. Sort of cult antihero?

If a player like Beckham or J.Cole was born in Norfolk.. would that be him?

1 hour ago, mrD66M said:

We all have cult heroes. Cantwell is just more like Emi used to be before his mind was at ease, wildly inconsistent, moments of genius in between moments where he can't give a rat's. Mercurial. Sort of cult antihero?

If a player like Beckham or J.Cole was born in Norfolk.. would that be him?

I feel like you’re daring me to compare Todd Cantwell with former England captain, champions league winning, premier league winning, ballon d’or runner up etc David Beckham and former full England international, premier league winning, champions league runner up, Chelsea player of the year etc Joe Cole? 

I mean even comparing him in the same sentence as Emi is pretty incredible, but two outstanding players at the top level for multiple years. Come on. 

Realistically we can compare him to Nelson Olivera or Simeon Jackson or something.