Sign in to follow this  
cambridgeshire canary

Credit to Angus Gunn

Well well, another match yet another day that I have humble pie shoved down my throat 😉As someone who did rather loudly protest his signing as being a waste of money when he joined us I think it's fair to say I got it wrong. Given how poor and shaky Krul has been through most of the season it's fair to say Gunn being here and taking over as our number 1 keeper has been a blessing.

Looked confident, brave and strong and made some fantastic saves today and fair to say that had he not been in goal today we probably would have shipped quite a few more goals. And no, I'm not going to blame him for the goal we did let in near the end as that was mostly down to our normal routine inability to defend and keep a clean sheet..

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

The reality is, as usual, much closer to the middle ground. He was never a bad signing, he has never been poor and today he was 'decent', but nothing special. Can't fault him for anything that had a meaningful result today (can fault him for the missing the cross that presented them with a chance), but equally, I don't think he did anything above what you would expect.

Oh and he turned defense into attack by going direct a couple of times. Very rarely see Krul do this. It didn’t come off but good to see us trying different ways to attack

Edited by Canary Jedi

6 hours ago, Canary Jedi said:

Oh and he turned defense into attack by going direct a couple of times. Very rarely see Krul do this. It didn’t come off but good to see us trying different ways to attack

To be fair those incidents just went straight to their goalkeeper whilst we were under the cosh. Have to agree with @All the Germans today and say he flapped at 3 crosses and his distribution was not good. On the other side of the coin 2 very good saves. 
Gunn has the shirt now and I suspect Krul won’t be getting it back, however I also suspect Krul will be gone in January. We have been blessed with some amazing goalkeepers over the years.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Well b back said:

To be fair those incidents just went straight to their goalkeeper whilst we were under the cosh. Have to agree with @All the Germans today and say he flapped at 3 crosses and his distribution was not good. On the other side of the coin 2 very good saves. 
Gunn has the shirt now and I suspect Krul won’t be getting it back, however I also suspect Krul will be gone in January. We have been blessed with some amazing goalkeepers over the years.

Fair point there were a couple of dodgy moments that Angus got away with, otherwise we’d all be calling for Krul to come in!

As for the kicks going straight to this goalkeeper, this is we’re coaching is needed. Maybe a signal that Gunny is going to go long and in the direction of a player with pace that can take advantage. It did appear today to take our forward players a little by surprise. 

10 hours ago, Well b back said:

I suppose the question with Krul is should he leave will he want to 'go home' and join a dutch team or given how long he's lived here in England just join another efl team? Get the feeling he will want to join a team that will alow him to be number one but given his age and poor form..

6 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

I suppose the question with Krul is should he leave will he want to 'go home' and join a dutch team or given how long he's lived here in England just join another efl team? Get the feeling he will want to join a team that will alow him to be number one but given his age and poor form..

Krul's wife is from Newcastle, although he's said after he retires they'd prefer to live in Norfolk. Sunderland for a year or two then? 

8 minutes ago, Surfer said:

Krul's wife is from Newcastle, although he's said after he retires they'd prefer to live in Norfolk. Sunderland for a year or two then? 

I get the sense the family are well settled in Mulbarton, happy with schooling opportunities, etc. Rather like Ruddy, if Krul does move on you can see him doing a long commute. At least he'll have a near neighbour to discuss it with, potentially commute and lodge with!

55 minutes ago, Surfer said:

Given how nonstop the booing from sunderland fans was when he played against them for us and how he spent half the match winding up their fans I get the feeling he would need police protection if he even so much as entertained the idea of joining  sunderland 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, kingsway said:

Outstanding yesterday!

Only a Gibson lapse prevented a clean sheet!

Sorry can’t agree with the word outstanding. As I mentioned before he flapped at 3 crosses ( 2 of which they could have scored from ) and his distribution was not good. When we were under the cosh on 2 occasions that I can remember instead of slowing the game down to give the defenders in particular time to regroup he kicked the ball straight to their goalkeeper.

As I said before I am not saying he shouldn’t have the shirt currently, but I am sure had that have been Krul on Saturday he would have been crucified by the crowd.

18 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Given how nonstop the booing from sunderland fans was when he played against them for us and how he spent half the match winding up their fans I get the feeling he would need police protection if he even so much as entertained the idea of joining  sunderland 

He would need to sign for a team whose nickname was associated with birds. His clubs to date, Newcastle, the Magpies, Brighton the Seagulls and Norwich the Canaries. 

8 minutes ago, Well b back said:

Sorry can’t agree with the word outstanding. As I mentioned before he flapped at 3 crosses ( 2 of which they could have scored from ) and his distribution was not good. When we were under the cosh on 2 occasions that I can remember instead of slowing the game down to give the defenders in particular time to regroup he kicked the ball straight to their goalkeeper.

As I said before I am not saying he shouldn’t have the shirt currently, but I am sure had that have been Krul on Saturday he would have been crucified by the crowd.

Neither of our keepers fill me with confidence to be honest.

Gunn is a better shot stopper at this point but his command of the area still isn't great.

Overall Gunn should be starting but if we did go up I'd think goalkeeper would be a real position of need.

37 minutes ago, king canary said:

Neither of our keepers fill me with confidence to be honest.

Gunn is a better shot stopper at this point but his command of the area still isn't great.

Overall Gunn should be starting but if we did go up I'd think goalkeeper would be a real position of need.

I would agree. Gunn doesn’t command the area like Krul, and is not as good with his feet as was and I stress as was Krul. We now resort to booting the ball down the pitch, 8/10 the ball comes straight back, should we go up that will be 10/10.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing but Birmingham have got themselves an amazing deal with a free for John Ruddy, who really has come back to the championship in outstanding form and has command of his area, his defence and is a fantastic shot stopper.

5 minutes ago, Well b back said:

Hindsight is a wonderful thing but Birmingham have got themselves an amazing deal with a free for John Ruddy, who really has come back to the championship in outstanding form and has command of his area, his defence and is a fantastic shot stopper.

Ruddy is having a blinder of a season, maturing like a very fine wine. 🙂 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Well b back said:

He would need to sign for a team whose nickname was associated with birds. His clubs to date, Newcastle, the Magpies, Brighton the Seagulls and Norwich the Canaries. 

Sheffield Wednesday 🤔

23 minutes ago, GodlyOtsemobor said:

Sheffield Wednesday 🤔

Hadn’t thought of them lol, was thinking Bristol City lol

1 hour ago, shefcanary said:

Ruddy is having a blinder of a season, maturing like a very fine wine. 🙂 

Indeed

Its not just his saves it’s his manner on the pitch, how he organises the players in front of him and completely commands his box. He just looks the part.

We live in Birmingham so do watch Blues especially when on TV. I will be amazed if he is not back in the EPL next year, even though he was second choice, many Wolves supporters pin their demise on Ruddy leaving.

Like I mentioned hindsight is a wonderful thing and had we have brought him back ( I think he still has a house here ) our fans would probably not been in favour, but I would argue Ruddy is the best goalkeeper in the Championship by a country mile.

• Like 1

On 30/10/2022 at 11:24, kingsway said:

Outstanding yesterday!

Only a Gibson lapse prevented a clean sheet!

There has been many lapses by Gibson this season, some directly leading to goals.