chicken

****The Official Lapps Match Thread v Stoke(h/L) *****

57 minutes ago, chicken said:

I bloody love Plymouth Argyle... apart from when they are playing us, which luckily hasn't been all that frequently in my lifetime.

I've always had a little bit of a soft spot for Argyle after they registered Michael Foot, a committed supporter, as a player on his 90th birthday, descriing him as an "evergreen left-winger".

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, GodlyOtsemobor said:

Don't count on it, Wednesday will be back to 4-3-3 with sarge out wide. McLean in midfield etc. 

This is my fear with Dean Smith.

That something starts to work then he changes it.

Lets see if he's actually on the way to finding his best team.

I thought our back 5 of Byram, Hanley, Gibson and McCallum actually looked pretty solid. Its clear that Aarons needs a spell out of the team, it shouldn't be a one game rest unless Byram gets a niggle.

Hayden was clearly shattered and 3 games in 8 days too much for him, but its got the makings of a solid base. The midfield is still my concern though really.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, canarybubbles said:

Well, that's Smith in a job until at least the end of the WC break. We just have to hope that those people who tell us how wonderful he is are right.

Find me one, just one, post where any genuine poster on here calls Smith "wonderful" and I'll donate £10 to PUPS.

Edit: apart from Villa supporters, several of whom registered on here to tell us how great he was.

Edited by Nuff Said
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

Find me one, just one, post where any genuine poster on here calls Smith "wonderful" and I'll donate £10 to PUPS.

I've spent 10minutes and this is the best I can come up with....

See the bit where Parma says (who I also loved). A clear declaration of love for Farke, but also for Smith.

I feel this wins the £10 infact you are Waveney and I claim my £10!. Also £10 for the CSF as they are wonderful seems a much better way of looking at it.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

This is my fear with Dean Smith.

That something starts to work then he changes it.

Lets see if he's actually on the way to finding his best team.

I thought our back 5 of Byram, Hanley, Gibson and McCallum actually looked pretty solid. Its clear that Aarons needs a spell out of the team, it shouldn't be a one game rest unless Byram gets a niggle.

Hayden was clearly shattered and 3 games in 8 days too much for him, but its got the makings of a solid base. The midfield is still my concern though really.

You have the best fears. This one needs to go up there with your fear we're going down to league 1. 

Funnily enough though, I thought defensively we were anything but solid with the number of times Stoke opened us up but fluffed the shot. I suspect the XG stats may say they should have scored more goals, but we know you don't believe in that sort of thing. 😉

4 minutes ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

You have the best fears. This one needs to go up there with your fear we're going down to league 1. 

Funnily enough though, I thought defensively we were anything but solid with the number of times Stoke opened us up but fluffed the shot. I suspect the XG stats may say they should have scored more goals, but we know you don't believe in that sort of thing. 😉

Have you ever considered a new career as a sleep aid to the wealthy? 

They pay you £50 an hour to bore them to sleep. Sounds like a winner.

48 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

Edit: apart from Villa supporters, several of whom registered on here to tell us how great he was.

I don’t think such posts exist other than in some vivid imaginations.  I, along with others, thought him a decent enough appointment and said we should give him time. It was the negativity from some, starting from before we’d even kicked a ball under him and escalating since, that made this look like it was unreasonable.

• Thanks 1

Just now, TeemuVanBasten said:

Have you ever considered a new career as a sleep aid to the wealthy? 

They pay you £50 an hour to bore them to sleep. Sounds like a winner.

With all of your weird and wonderful fears, surely you must have a lot of trouble sleeping! You could be my first customer if you like? 😉

9 minutes ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

Who on earth thought this side would be at risk of relegation to league one?!

Just now, hogesar said:

Who on earth thought this side would be at risk of relegation to league one?!

Some did - I offered them a £100 charity bet that, oddly enough, none took.

54 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

I've always had a little bit of a soft spot for Argyle after they registered Michael Foot, 

I got a years work placement in 1994 in Plymouth, regularly went to Home Park. Good city, good people. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

TvB

Just now, Branston Pickle said:

Some people really say ridiculous things on here. Let's hope it's for some sort of impact measure rather than actually genuinely believing it.

• Like 1

Great afternoon really. Those who like Smith go home happy as he survives another week. The outers are happy with 3 points and back in the top 6.

Win win 🍻

3 hours ago, king canary said:

For those watching what is the midfield shape after all the subs? Gibbs and Sara deeper with Ramsey, Cantwell and Nunez further forward?

Pretty much - Sara had come on for Dowell and was playing right side of the 3, then he moved over to the left side of the two when Hayden went off. It’s was all pretty fluid in the last twenty minutes though, with players popping up in all sorts of positions - both Sara and Gibbs trying to play box to box at various points, although not at the same time IIRC. 

Edited by astro

1 hour ago, Branston Pickle said:

Perhaps you should have been a bit more modest with your proposed stake in a cost of living crisis.

Offer a realistic bet and put your money where your mouth is. A top 4 finish would equate to a 50/50 chance for both parties. 

1 hour ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Perhaps you should have been a bit more modest with your proposed stake in a cost of living crisis.

I don’t see why - Charities are as desperate for money as ever.  And the point is that if ‘you’ (as in the other person) are so sure you’re correct it’s little-to-no risk at all to you, is it.  Remember, this was in July, so somewhat before a lot of this recent political crap.  

It’s gone now anyway, this was all before the season started so is utterly irrelevant now that we’re a third of the way through the season.

Edited by Branston Pickle
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

With the current rate of inflation, £100 will soon be worth £10.

6 hours ago, Robert N. LiM said:

Haven't watched today, but there is an argument for being very boring in the first hour, playing two DMs in front of the defence, then bring on the flair players in the last 30 to win the game...

Or playing 2 DMs in front of the defence and three flair players in front of them but just behind Pukki from the start ...  Might catch on ... 🤔

• Haha 1

I don’t see why - Charities are as desperate for money as ever.  And the point is that if ‘you’ (as in the other person) are so sure you’re correct it’s little-to-no risk at all to you, is it.  Remember, this was in July, so somewhat before a lot of this recent political crap.  

It’s gone now anyway, this was all before the season started so is utterly irrelevant now that we’re a third of the way through the season.

£100 is a lot of money for a lot of people.

5 hours ago, Don’t be Krul said:

Aside from the odd flash of skill I've never worked out what Dowell brings to the table. He is dire

He is a #10 who is consistently asked to play wide without having any of the required attributes to do so.  People get this now with Sargent - not sure why they don't with Dowell. 

To take an extreme example, it's like playing Hanley at right back and complaining that he isn't very good as a full back [insert Hanley joke here...]

1 minute ago, Branston Pickle said:

Did anyone say/suggest it isn’t?  

Eh? 

Not sure if you are playing dumb on purpose.

But you are complaining that nobody was willing to wager £100 with you.

I said that its a lot of money for those people (whoever they were) to punt.

You replied by seemingly justifying why you could afford to put up £100. Good for you, but its a lot of money for many other people.

8 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Eh? 

Not sure if you are playing dumb on purpose.

But you are complaining that nobody was willing to wager £100 with you.

I said that its a lot of money for those people (whoever they were) to punt.

You replied by seemingly justifying why you could afford to put up £100. Good for you, but its a lot of money for many other people.

I don't see the problem. You were insisting very hard that we were nailed on for league 1 based on recent form, even insisting to push on with your prediction of league 1 next year  in the face of the fact that we've had other form that has had us in the top two this season. If you're as confident as you sound in your predictions of doom, it's easy money for you isn't it, whatever the stake? 

Edited by littleyellowbirdie

Wtf. I’m not complaining at all about anything. You are missing the entire point - yet again- which was not about the amount but the idea. Of course £100 is a big sum to anyone - though no one countered with anything else, which rather suggested they knew they were talking crap.  That’s the entire point.

Edited by Branston Pickle
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Barham Blitz said:

He is a #10 who is consistently asked to play wide without having any of the required attributes to do so.  People get this now with Sargent - not sure why they don't with Dowell. 

To take an extreme example, it's like playing Hanley at right back and complaining that he isn't very good as a full back [insert Hanley joke here...]

But even when played in a #10 he's done sod all

Edited by Don’t be Krul

12 hours ago, Nuff Said said:

Point taken, and fair enough - I over-egged the pudding, which was stupid of me because it was inviting your response.

Would you be prepared to accept "believe he is a good manager"?