chicken

****The Official Lapps Match Thread v Stoke(h/L) *****

2 minutes ago, Ken Hairy said:

They did it twice 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Goals on the 96th and 99th minutes for Charlton 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, baldy09 said:

Smith ok until christmas now

Not Crimbo, I gather it could be after the World Cup.

Thought 65 minutes were very poor and the front players had an obvious lack of confidence. 

The plus was that Stoke never really created a clear chance in that period either.

Post 65 minutes the substitutions and confidence of a second goal saw a lot more from us in an attacking sense.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Nuff Said said:

To quote Tayor Swift, which is not something I say very often, or in fact ever before now, "just because you made a good plan, doesn’t mean that’s what’s gonna happen." If we conceed a goal after 5 minutes, what do we do then? If we score 3 before half time do we still bring the flair players on? As someone else said "life is what happens when you're making plans".

Yeah, as I said above, I wasn't being entirely serious. But it is definitely worth thinking about who works best from the bench and who is best as a starter. I wonder whether the two South Americans might come into that first category. The game here is so much quicker that you can see why they might get a bit lost, whereas they could be real weapons from the bench. I thought Sara was outstanding when he came on against Preston, for example.

Enjoyed the Taylor Swift quote, btw. The other one is John Lennon.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, hogesar said:

Thought 65 minutes were very poor and the front players had an obvious lack of confidence. 

The plus was that Stoke never really created a clear chance in that period either.

Post 65 minutes the substitutions and confidence of a second goal saw a lot more from us in an attacking sense.

Sums it up perfectly. I hope now he sticks with 4-2-3-1, as 4-3-3 doesn't work with these players. 

• Like 2

Would agree that we were pretty poor through the first half and it felt a 0-0 was on the way but credit to Smith for sorting it out with his subs and changing the game up in the second half

Edited by cambridgeshire canary

1 minute ago, Ken Hairy said:

Sums it up perfectly. I hope now he sticks with 4-2-3-1, as 4-3-3 doesn't work with these players. 

Don't count on it, Wednesday will be back to 4-3-3 with sarge out wide. McLean in midfield etc. 

Edited by GodlyOtsemobor

2 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Would agree that we were pretty poor through the first half and it felt a 0-0 was on the way but credit to Smith for sorting it out with his subs and changing the game up in the second half

I wonder if it might have been a bit more than that. We've been so rubbish at defending leads that winding down the clock with a robust setup to go for it later with more attacking substitutions makes sense to me. 

Edited by littleyellowbirdie

1 minute ago, Nuff Said said:

To quote Tayor Swift, which is not something I say very often, or in fact ever before now, "just because you made a good plan, doesn’t mean that’s what’s gonna happen." If we conceed a goal after 5 minutes, what do we do then? If we score 3 before half time do we still bring the flair players on? As someone else said "life is what happens when you're making plans".

Being a bit like Bethnal... I have dabbled in tabletop wargames throughout my life, and have a little interest in history too.

A Prussian in 1871, Field Marshal Helmuth von Moltke the Elder gave some great insight that has been paraphrased since - which I will use as the originally is longer winded than even I am on occasions...

"No good plan survives contact with the enemy".

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Robert N. LiM said:

LOL

Screenshot 2022-10-29 at 17.09.46.png

I bloody love Plymouth Argyle... apart from when they are playing us, which luckily hasn't been all that frequently in my lifetime.

1 minute ago, chicken said:

I prefer Mike Tyson.. 

" Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth " 

• Like 1

Just now, GodlyOtsemobor said:

I prefer Mike Tyson.. 

" Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth " 

Which is exactly the tactic he has deployed with his girlfriends/partners which is probably a good enough reason not to use it IMHO... 

10 minutes ago, hogesar said:

I thought they were deliberately sitting back. The line up itself looked like it was built to absorb pressure rather than create chances. It felt like the game plan was to let them come onto us for a good period of time, then hit them when they were tiring with attacking substitutions. 

Edited by littleyellowbirdie

5 minutes ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

I wonder if it might have been a bit more than that. We've been so rubbish at defending leads that winding down the clock with a robust setup to go for it later with more attacking substitutions makes sense to me. 

I have a lot of respect for your posts but that is just so wrong.

4 minutes ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

I thought they were deliberately sitting back. The line up itself looked like it was built to absorb pressure rather than create chances. It felt like the game plan was to let them come onto us for a good period of time, then hit them when they were tiring with attacking substitutions. 

I'd be surprised. You don't play Ramsey Hernandez and Dowell if you're just looking to absurd pressure. I think Dowell was absolutely dreadful and we couldn't link things up.

Just now, Graham Paddons Beard said:

Ha ha ha . Then the home end went even more bonkers 

I think it's the fact that they weren't even playing Plymouth that makes it so enjoyable. Best bit of ITFC social media shade since Wycombe described us as 'East Anglia's finest' just to p1ss them off.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, hogesar said:

I'd be surprised. You don't play Ramsey Hernandez and Dowell if you're just looking to absurd pressure. I think Dowell was absolutely dreadful and we couldn't link things up.

Aside from the odd flash of skill I've never worked out what Dowell brings to the table. He is dire

Well, that's Smith in a job until at least the end of the WC break. We just have to hope that those people who tell us how wonderful he is are right.

1 minute ago, canarybubbles said:

Well, that's Smith in a job until at least the end of the WC break. We just have to hope that those people who tell us how wonderful he is are right.

I'm not so sure. He's bought himself some time... but there are three more games before the WC. I think it still hands in the balance at this point. 

34 minutes ago, chicken said:

Being a bit like Bethnal... I have dabbled in tabletop wargames throughout my life, and have a little interest in history too.

A Prussian in 1871, Field Marshal Helmuth von Moltke the Elder gave some great insight that has been paraphrased since - which I will use as the originally is longer winded than even I am on occasions...

I prefer Mike Tyson's version:  “Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth.”

Just now, ron obvious said:

I prefer Mike Tyson's version:  “Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth.”

Already been here chap.

image.png.cf615950e43c31a7826d72d8bedd75ab.png

4 minutes ago, ron obvious said:

You are me and I claim my £5 

🤣

• Haha 1