Sign in to follow this  
Pockthorpe

Murphy’s Mission.Biography . Sincil Bank to Saigon.

Murphy’s Mission. Heard of Colin Murphy ? You possibly need to be over 50. 15 different clubs from the 1970s to early 2000s. Ex Lincoln , Derby, Hull,  Southend , Vietnam manager …. and more. A bard of the game - madcap programme notes and a column in newspapers. 

Shameless plug for this book written by Sally Mears, a close friend of my late wife. I bloody loved it - a great antidote to the excesses of the Premier League. Made me feel incredibly nostalgic for how football used to be. The game I fell in love with back in the late 60s early 70s.
What a character - was lucky enough to have a good chat with him at the book launch.

It’s available on Amazon. Give it a go maybe ! 

Edited by Pockthorpe
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Pockthorpe said:

Murphy’s Mission. Heard of Colin Murphy ? You possibly need to be over 50. 15 different clubs from the 1970s to early 2000s. Ex Lincoln , Derby, Hull,  Southend , Vietnam manager …. and more. A bard of the game - madcap programme notes and a column in newspapers. 

Shameless plug for this book written by Sally Mears, a close friend of my late wife. I bloody loved it - a great antidote to the excesses of the Premier League. Made me feel incredibly nostalgic for how football used to be. The game I fell in love with back in the late 60s early 70s.
What a character - was lucky enough to have a good chat with him at the book launch.

It’s available on Amazon. Give it a go maybe ! 

Sounds like a great read, I might just grab a copy. I do love a good football (auto)biography; one of my favourites is 'The Greatest Footballer You Never Saw', the story of cult hero Robin Friday.

Currently reading 'The Unstoppable Keeper', about Germany journeyman goalie Lutz Pfannenstiel.

Any other good recommendations, folks?

• Thanks 1

Very much appreciated Pyro Pete ! Bless you heart. 

I just don’t know how to do that !

Edited by Pockthorpe
  • Thanks 1

Pockthorpe kindly got me a copy of the book a couple of weeks ago,and I can confirm that it’s a great read. It must have been a heck of a job trying  to cover such a multitude of the different managerial jobs that he had. Like all football biogs, you have to read between the lines at times, but it really brought back real sense of the game in the days before the circus that we’ve got now. I remember that the Guardian used to print some of the most lunatic of his Lincoln programme notes in their sports section on a Saturday…Wolfie mentioned the Robin Friday book, and if any of you enjoyed that, you’ll enjoy Murphy’s Mission. Professional football deserves to have a better standard of writing attached to it than the Christmas/birthday present ghost written autobiographies that litter the bookshops of this country. It was nice to read a book that was written for people who love the game for what really was and is…

• Thanks 1

Thanks. I'll probably give that a go 

I love a football book. Does anyone have a good recommendation for a (auto)biography from a Norwich player from the 80s, early 90s?

Or a decent book in general about the club from that era?

Murphy's Marauders....Glenn Cockerill, David Felgate, Phil Neale, Steve Thompson, Gary Strodder, Trevor Peake and so many others....John Fashanu, Neil Redfearn and Ross Jack...um ah isn't it....Younger years spent stood on the Sincil Bank terrace... 

• Like 1