Sign in to follow this  
vlad666

Mfw brilliant article.

Brilliant article. Would be good if this could be presented to the club as perfectly explains how I believe most fans feel

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, rock bus said:

Brilliant article. Would be good if this could be presented to the club as perfectly explains how I believe most fans feel

Yes mate. Really explains it perfectly. 

It is a really good article and sums up what many are saying in the stands and around the city and county a lot of whom do not use social media as a platform to express their views so much so that i have emailed it to Zoe Ward at the club.

• Like 3

Just now, TIL 1010 said:

It is a really good article and sums up what many are saying in the stands and around the city and county a lot of whom do not use social media as a platform to express their views so much so that i have emailed it to Zoe Ward at the club.

Excellent. Hopefully you’ll get a response. Keep us posted please. 👍🏻

It is a very good article. 

Unfortunately will fall on deaf ears at the club and will be put in the same draw in the cabinet as all the other (social)media criticism. 

• Like 1

Very good piece. Not written by a 3-year old on Twitter but a well constructed article detailing exactly how everyone is feeling. 

• Like 1

This is a really well-written article. I think it's possibly a little uncharitable to take a swipe at the 'Insight' videos ("We’re restricted to a few scripted interviews from the in-house media team"), as I think these have been well-executed and well-received aside from Richens' ill-advised response about atmosphere/disconnect. These videos are, in my opinion, definitely a step in the right direction, seeking to assuage fans' feeling of disconnect.

But the wider comments surrounding 'the plan' now as opposed to under Farke are absolutely spot on.

Edited by Feedthewolf

12 minutes ago, Mello Yello said:

Can't disagree with any of that well written article....Although, I'm sure that some will....

I wonder who that could be 🤔🤔🤔

• Haha 4

I used to get slaughtered on here for saying that I didn't understand 'The Project', or query the '5 year plan'. 

But none of those who called me thick or stupid for not understanding 'The Project' could do a very good job of explaining what it was, in fact usually they wouldn't even attempt. 

Beyond the obvious need to develop and sell a high value player sporadically in order to fill the holes in the finances which inevitablely develop when you are self-financing, the 'project', whatever that is, or 'model', seems to begin fail at the point where there is nobody super valuable left to sell. E.g. now.

Aarons, Cantwell, Idah, none of the big boys want them. Gibbs suddenly looks like the one who might interest a West Ham or Everton something, as a potential Harrison Reed / Mark Noble level player. I suspect however that we're failing this season because we didn't manage to flog Max Aarons to reinvest in, I dunno, a permanent DM for a change and some wingers better than Sinani and Hernandez.

"We were implementing a new ‘sustainable’ model that required investment in the Academy to generate a conveyor belt of promising young players for future income" 

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

Great article.

The 5 year plan always fascinates me, what exactly is it?

If it's just to yo-yo between divisions, and keep taking the money it lacks ambition beyond belief.

I've got to the point where I don't even want promotion anymore, because we don't seem to have a plan and the signings are not good enough to keep us up. I think I'd rather watch us be successful in the Championship, but we are not even doing that at the moment. So now I have to question what I want from the club in terms of their ambition.

• Like 1

There are some very good points made in this article. I understand these to be:

We are going backwards

The football is poor 

Recruitment is not good enough

Ambition is well hidden 

The American?

Smith was a mistake by Webber

Webber no longer relates to the fans and vice versa

The light at the end of the tunnel has been switched off! 

For now.

Edited by The Bristol Nest
  • Like 4

Really good article and so much in it that I concur with. It's not just a 'Smith Out' rant either, but highlights some fundamental issues, the most serious being the club seems to have taken its foot off the ball compared to all the great work done earlier.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

I think it's possibly a little uncharitable to take a swipe at the 'Insight' videos ("We’re restricted to a few scripted interviews from the in-house media team"), as I think these have been well-executed and well-received aside from Richens' ill-advised response about atmosphere/disconnect. These videos are, in my opinion, definitely a step in the right direction, seeking to assuage fans' feeling of disconnect.

When is the next SCG meeting FTW? I ask because apart from an easily stage managed AGM, this is currently the only time the executive come face to face with real fans, although I think you'll now confirm the meeting won't now have any of the Key Management Personnel team in attendance (something else that in a Plc Richens was disingenuous in dismissing as requiring more detailed disclosure 🤬).

As such Insight is not going to answer fans legitimate questions, it just allows them to hide behind "commercial sensitivity" as a get out not to answer.

What are the club scared of? And why are they so scared?

3 minutes ago, shefcanary said:

When is the next SCG meeting FTW? I ask because apart from an easily stage managed AGM, this is currently the only time the executive come face to face with real fans, although I think you'll now confirm the meeting won't now have any of the Key Management Personnel team in attendance (something else that in a Plc Richens was disingenuous in dismissing as requiring more detailed disclosure 🤬).

As such Insight is not going to answer fans legitimate questions, it just allows them to hide behind "commercial sensitivity" as a get out not to answer.

Next OSP meeting is next Tuesday. Supporter engagement is on the agenda and will be discussed.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

Next OSP meeting is next Tuesday. Supporter engagement is on the agenda and will be discussed.

@FeedthewolfI am right that Zoe will no longer be in attendance?

8 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

16 minutes ago, shefcanary said:

Can you decode the abbreviations for me please ta 😂

5 minutes ago, shefcanary said:

@FeedthewolfI am right that Zoe will no longer be in attendance?

Not sure at this juncture. Afraid you'll have to wait for the minutes 🙂

1 minute ago, By Hook or Ian crook said:

Can you decode the abbreviations for me please ta 😂

OSP = Official Supporters Panel (of which I am vice-chair).

SCG = @shefcanary's old-school name for ostensibly the same thing (Supporter Consultation Group) 🙂

• Thanks 1

So the main complaint is fact we no longer have a distinct playing style. This is a very modern complaint.

Is it not possession football ( we have dominated possession in 9/10 games this season) but the players able to make these own decisions about what to do on the pitch instead of blindly playing it out from the back every time. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Ulfotto said:

So the main complaint is fact we no longer have a distinct playing style. This is a very modern complaint.

Is it not possession football ( we have dominated possession in 9/10 games this season) but the players able to make these own decisions about what to do on the pitch instead of blindly playing it out from the back every time. 

We are 4th I think on possession stats in the league. Under Farke we were 1st, my main gripe isn’t how much of the ball they have more what they do with it when they have it. It’s all so boring and bland. If you’re old enough to of Watched Ray Wilkins it’s like watching a team entirely made up of him. Lots of sideways and backwards, it’s still counts as possession but it’s possession of the least threatening type. 

On most of the team stats this year we are sitting between 10-12th in the league in terms of shots per game, goals per game ect we are however 1st on the table at unforced errors with double the amount of the team in second. I really wish the championship had more sports data available like the Prem where you could find a table for total distance covered by teams ect but alas there isn’t one I can find anyway. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, By Hook or Ian crook said:

. I really wish the championship had more sports data available like the Prem

We don’t need extensive sports data to tell us what is wrong this season we continue to make individual errors time and time again and we are missing chances.

2 minutes ago, Ulfotto said:

We don’t need extensive sports data to tell us what is wrong this season we continue to make individual errors time and time again and we are missing chances.

You might not want it but I enjoy looking at it. If I was a manager I’d certainly want to know if my players were working as hard as they should be. I was shocked to learn recently that last season in the Prem we actually came 2nd in team distance covered so it wasn’t due to a lack of running that we did so badly. I have qualifications in work place efficiency and have been tasked by my previous employers to find incremental improvements over time with our manufacturing processes so I found that interesting to note as if you can rule out something for being the root cause of a problem you can then investigate what does cause the problem. Maybe I’m just a nerd that way though 🤷‍♂️

One could also make the argument that if a team continues to make unforced errors, (we are on 10 now which is double the 2nd place side), that there’s something fundamentally wrong with the approach. In my work life if multiple experienced members staff kept making the same mistake I would change the approach to the task and not the staff as it’s clearly a problem with the process system rather than the individual worker. 

25 minutes ago, By Hook or Ian crook said:

One could also make the argument that if a team continues to make unforced errors, (we are on 10 now which is double the 2nd place side), that there’s something fundamentally wrong with the approach

There is truth here definitely personally  I have a theory that the players were micro managed under Farke to such an extent that they knew exactly how to respond to each situation on the pitch and would have been punished if they went against this I.e not playing it out from the back or taking a long range shot on. Even if said option was totally wrong.

Whereas Smith is more relaxed on this and actually this is confusing players more than it is helping them. So Smith yeah play it from the back but knock it long if they are pressing effectively or take the shot on but keep possession if you want.

Basically like a kid in a sweet shop whose been told they can only have a mars bar all there life then all of sudden someone says you can have a mars or a snickers or a double decker or even a toffee crisp cue panic related meltdown.

In fairness, if there is no reaction to this excellent article, we are in bigger trouble than I thought.

I would fully expect there to be some sort of riposte from the club  - here's waiting!

• Like 1