Sign in to follow this  
Bradwell canary

Goalkeeper ability, passing out from the back

It seems to me that Krull often put us in danger, trying something that he did not have the ability to execute. Very few keepers have.

But since Gunn has taken his place we seem to be going far more direct.

Must be that Smith has directed him to do this.

Which do fans here prefer, as both have some merit.

going long has no merit apart from giving the ball away. Hence every top team in the world playing out from the back. Although hoofing it out of play was practically the game play at Burnley under the worst manager we've ever had so.... Keep doing what you're doing!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Bradwell canary said:

It seems to me that Krull often put us in danger, trying something that he did not have the ability to execute. Very few keepers have.

But since Gunn has taken his place we seem to be going far more direct.

Must be that Smith has directed him to do this.

Which do fans here prefer, as both have some merit.

I think both are just doing what their told. 

i am all for playing out from the back but there needs to be a balance between doing it all the time and teams just pushing high up the pitch to press us and going long all the time to a bloke who’s 5ft and a bit. If we varied it more to find the balance we’d be harder to predict and play against 

We need to play out from the back due to our setup, and in theory we have players capable of doing it, especially at this level. What doesn’t work is ending up going so far backwards we end up hopelessly punting it to Pukki who is never going to hold up a ball in the air. 

Its almost, almost like we should perhaps be playing Sargent up front instead of as a makeshift right winger. But what do I know, I’m not a footballing expert like Dean Smith

Edited by AJ

I think there's a fairly obvious pattern to trying to play out but kicking clear if we haven't progressed fairly quickly. We know Smith encourages forwards to press so I'd think we're banking on winning the ball high aggressively after clearing.

I've been fairly vocal that I think a return to 4-2-3-1 and condensing the forward line would be a much better bet. In order to play through teams you need passing options.

I think Gunn is a step up in this department, he looks confident and assured of what he intends to do , before the ball gets to him rather than a last second panic under pressure.

I like Krul but I do worry when it gets played back to him. Keepers need to be sweepers now with at least 1 good foot but its fast becoming necessary to be ampi ... ambi ... kick with both feet

2 minutes ago, Parma Ham's gone mouldy said:

What is danger?

Parma

Danger is my middle name.

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Parma Ham's gone mouldy said:

What is danger?

Parma

Its on-field perception is the key between the best and the rest.

Fans fear danger first, then Grant Hanley, then Rio Ferdinand, then Franco Baresi…

The extra second produces an earlier pass into midfield, that extra half second allows for a more progressive forward pass, that quarter second allows a more penetrative assist, that fraction of a second allows Pukki to get ahead of his man…

I ask again ‘what is danger’ ?

Parma 

Fans say ‘get rid’…Guardiola searches out goalkeepers who can play like Pirlo. 

The question is: ‘Where is the time and the space?’

The answer was Baresi, now it is Ederson. 

Edited by Parma Ham's gone mouldy
  • Like 2

Playing out from the back is great as long as you have the players capable of receiving the ball on the half turn and there is the movement from the rest of the team to offer a simple pass quickly.  In our recent promotion sides we had players and a formation and style that could do that and indeed required it. A couple of moves in that win against Man City spring immediately to mind.  Not sure that is currently the case - only Gibbs and Cantwell seem to provide this from midfield based on what I've seen this season. 

It is just all too slow at the moment, the passing becomes sideways and unpenetrative and either gets us into trouble against an organised press or results in a panicked hoof up the pitch anyway to players ill-suited to that approach.   The amount of time that Hanley in particular seems to dwell on the ball or the number of times that Aarons makes a forward run only to have to turn and play the ball back seems indicative of a lack of cohesion that for all our historical faults was rarely an issue in relatively recent memory.  I get that the Barca-lite Farkeball has been ditched for something allegedly more pragmatic but we are currently neither fish not fowl in our tactical approach.

The title contains the term 'goalkeeper ability' and my response was directly in relation to that. In that area, IMO Gunn is an improvement.

Whilst I agree with the general consensus that this area, currently, leaves a lot to be desired, isn't that a defence-to-midfield issue, and even right up to the forwards? Effectively an outfielder issue then which isn't what the title pertains to.

Maybe I'm being too pedantic with the grammar.