Sign in to follow this  
Michael Starr

Starting to feel like the Chase era

We had a huge opportunity to push the boat out and failed miserably. Now we look like a club paddling upstream. Ipswich on the rise too. You can see what’s coming next season in the Championship.

It's not as bad as the chase era.

Throw Dean Smith and his mug out ( by mug either the tea or shakey  both work) and we will be fine on the rebuild.

Someone with a bit of passion, vision and the want to be here and all will be fine.

A pint and bag of chips says that in 10 year time when Smith releases his book he will say how he was still dreaming of what could have been at villa and his heart was not in the Norwich job.

Really?

It's nothing like. It's no worse than 2018 when season ticket holders left in droves. Which was not as bad as relegation to league one. Which was not as bad as Worthy out. Which was not as bad as Chase era discontent periods ...

Edited by nutty nigel
For Vincent
  • Like 5

5 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

Really?

It's nothing like. It's no worse than 2018 when season ticket holders left in droves. Which was not as bad as relegation to league one. Which was not as bad as Worthy out. Which was not as bad as Chase era ..

Okay, so the whole Chase era was bad, right? Fans hated promotion in 86, hated finishing 5th in 86/87, 4th in 88/89, 3rd in 92/93 and were protesting against cup semi finals in 89 and 92? There were also riots at the San Siro because fans thought it was toxic to be playing in European competition with Chase as chairman.

2 minutes ago, Big Vince said:

Okay, so the whole Chase era was bad, right? Fans hated promotion in 86, hated finishing 5th in 86/87, 4th in 88/89, 3rd in 92/93 and were protesting against cup semi finals in 89 and 92? There were also riots at the San Siro because fans thought it was toxic to be playing in European competition with Chase as chairman.

Turn the computer off, Bob.

• Haha 2

34 minutes ago, Michael Starr said:

We had a huge opportunity to push the boat out and failed miserably. Now we look like a club paddling upstream. Ipswich on the rise too. You can see what’s coming next season in the Championship.

Was that the era where we beat Bayern Munich and came third in the Premier League? 

3 minutes ago, Big Vince said:

I'm not answering anymore of your questions until you answer the one I asked you the other day. You're just all fur coat and no knickers...

52 minutes ago, Michael Starr said:

Not your sort who will be long gone.

This just shows you really don't remember the Chase era.

It's NOTHING like it, thankfully.

And the lunatics pointing out table finishes and beating Bayern also have a very selective memory.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, KeiranShikari said:

Feeling a little like the Moxey era that's for sure.

I don’t think 6 months really counts as an era 🤣

9 minutes ago, KeiranShikari said:

There's a good reason for that. 

Coincidentally I’m on a train and just about to go through his home town, ‘Emel ‘Empstead 😳

13 hours ago, nutty nigel said:

Someone needs to book up St Andrews Hall before the police horses arrive.😯

May be an image of one or more people, people standing and outdoors

They are already on St Andrews Plain Nutty waiting. Been there since 1908 when ricardo took this photo. 😜

Edited by TIL 1010
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, nutty nigel said:

Indeed.

Anyway, I don't remember any armchair fan boys going castor to hoof with the police horses..

They were too busy writing letters to all their friends about how good Ipswich were, and how good they were going to be 🙂

1 hour ago, Wings of a Sparrow said:

That was for the Stranglers concert surely 😃

If it's the Stranglers concert at St Andrews Hall that I remember, as I recall it Hugh Cornwell said there were skinheads (or some such) waiting outside to beat up the punks at the concert. He then said "Go out there and show them your strength". A bit naughty of him but I can't remember seeing any signs of trouble outside. Certainly nothing compared with football matches in those days 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, nutty nigel said:

I'm not answering anymore of your questions until you answer the one I asked you the other day. You're just all fur coat and no knickers...

Knowing him, he probably doesn't realise the fur coat is from Russia either... 😜

15 hours ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Chase was a bit of lad but delivered more than the the Gruesome Twosome delivering the show now. It’s all in the history. 

I mean, daft comment for sure.

Chase left the club £20m in debt, and relegated. It's fairly well documented that much of the footballing side of things was a success due to Ken Brown and Dave Stringer.

There can be no doubt that Chase ran the club poorly. What happened on the pitch was only impacted when he started selling players off and spending money on land that was useless to us for 20+ years. Essentially after success, he ripped the carpet out from under our feet and one fell swoop turned us into a mid-table Division One team.

6 minutes ago, chicken said:

There can be no doubt that Chase ran the club poorly. What happened on the pitch was only impacted when he started selling players off and spending money on land that was useless to us for 20+ years. 

Oh right, we didn't use Colney then? 

And Delia didn't flog off all that land by the river for luxury apartments?

1 minute ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Oh right, we didn't use Colney then? 

And Delia didn't flog off all that land by the river for luxury apartments?

I swear that land had goals in it if only we'd played it in the right position. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Haven't we just been relegated with a £23m loss?

Not after taking apart a champions league team... I also wouldn't like to guess what £20m in todays money would be... not 100% accurate but the old inflation calculator is ok for a ball park... 
image.png.05484b652b3dd05346a50f1dc1f6e289.png

And in fairness, we had already sold off assets at that point as well. Very different to the situation now.