Sign in to follow this  
CANARYKING

Forest transfer dealings

According to Football Insider going to spend £100m in January. During the summer they bought :21 players costing over £200m , hope it doesn’t all end in tears.

16 minutes ago, CANARYKING said:

According to Football Insider going to spend £100m in January. During the summer they bought :21 players costing over £200m , hope it doesn’t all end in tears.

Tbh I kind-of hope it does, if only to send a warning to others. It’s ridiculous.

• Like 6

" well at least the gave it a proper go " 

Few months later.......

" What a terrible state of affairs when big clubs like Nottingham Forest are going the same way as Bury, something in football really has to change " 

Few months later - promoted team goes up, doesn't spend alot, goes at it with their promoted squad.....

" They're a waste of a spot in the premier league, they're practically making a joke out of football, who comes up and doesn't spend money to at least give it a go, there's plenty of other clubs out there with owners willing to spend to try and stay up, this lot are an embarrassment to the premier league " 

So on and so forth..... 

Edited by GodlyOtsemobor
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, GodlyOtsemobor said:

" well at least the gave it a proper go " 

Few months later.......

" What a terrible state of affairs when big clubs like Nottingham Forest are going the same way as Bury, something in football really has to change " 

Few months later - promoted team goes up, doesn't spend alot, goes at it with their promoted squad.....

" They're a waste of a spot in the premier league, they're practically making a joke out of football, who comes up and doesn't spend money to at least give it a go, there's plenty of other clubs out there with owners willing to spend to try and stay up, this lot are an embarrassment to the premier league " 

So on and so forth..... 

It's almost as illogical as spending nothing on a newly-promoted squad one season in the EPL and then having a relatively modest net spend compared to the rest in the second season and then sacking the manager for not being competitive, only to replace him with a man who was able to be competitive for a single season with a squad that had £200 million spent on it.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

It's almost as illogical as spending nothing on a newly-promoted squad one season in the EPL and then having a relatively modest net spend compared to the rest in the second season and then sacking the manager for not being competitive, only to replace him with a man who was able to be competitive for a single season with a squad that had £200 million spent on it.

You missed out being miserably relegated, having faith in the coach to get the club promoted again, going back up but seeing exactly the same issues as in the previous relegation - then sacking him. 

Did Dean Smith steal your sweets or something?

• Like 1

Forrest lost 16 plus players in the close season. They had to replace them and as such their owners have backed them. At least they are going for it and will give their fans some memories (Liverpool last week...)

I rather that than the stale, passionless cr*p we are now..

2 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

You missed out being miserably relegated, having faith in the coach to get the club promoted again, going back up but seeing exactly the same issues as in the previous relegation - then sacking him. 

Did Dean Smith steal your sweets or something?

Nope, he just had a pretty poor record compared to the bloke we got rid of and, predictably, made things worse when he was appointed. I've no personal animosity towards him whatsoever, I'm sure he's doing his best. It's just his best, as we're now all seeing, is nowhere near good enough. The only anger I have is at Webber who failed to foresee what quite a few people could prior to his appointment.

2 minutes ago, Kenny Foggo said:

Forrest lost 16 plus players in the close season. They had to replace them and as such their owners have backed them. At least they are going for it and will give their fans some memories (Liverpool last week...)

Spending money doesn't guarantee you memories like that though, does it? We had Man City in 2019/20 after spending enough to buy a packet of crisps and a pint. We spent a bit more two years later and achieved nothing positive that will still be talked about in 10 years time.

• Like 1

Anyone watched them enough to know what they're lacking?  Just wondering what the chances of a panicked team nicking Pukki from us this season would be.  There's no telling what we would let him go for if the money was on the table.

Just now, Google Bot said:

Anyone watched them enough to know what they're lacking?  Just wondering what the chances of a panicked team nicking Pukki from us this season would be.  There's no telling what we would let him go for if the money was on the table.

I Said this in the summer when talk people would not go for Pukki due to fee 

i think a Team anywhere from the top 6 down would like Pukki in Squad  

he would be handy for many teams maybe not starting but in the squad after his goal record in the PL in a struggling team 

he would of been a snip in the summer say 15 million for a PL team 

maybe not now not sure if his downturn in Form is him unhappy or him on downward spiral 

11 minutes ago, norfolkngood said:

he would of been a snip in the summer say 15 million for a PL team 

He'd guarantee a club like Burnley promotion too.  Could never see that happening, but I could foresee Smith having to go with Sarge up front, and if that works it totally changes the dynamics behind the scenes.

With our recently reported finances, money on the table could tempt the club.  In 5 months time he'd have no value for us and be off over the horizon anyway.

Edited by Google Bot

16 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

Spending money doesn't guarantee you memories like that though, does it? We had Man City in 2019/20 after spending enough to buy a packet of crisps and a pint. We spent a bit more two years later and achieved nothing positive that will still be talked about in 10 years time.

No spending money guarantees nothing,, but gives you a chance.

Spending as little as us,guarantees relegation and the feeling around the club now.

14 minutes ago, Kenny Foggo said:

Spending as little as us,guarantees relegation and the feeling around the club now.

to be fair with our Squad at the moment we would have to Spend big to have a chance 

whole overhaul is needed really which was not the case last season ,

1 hour ago, Kenny Foggo said:

Whereas entering into contracts that cannot be met outside the PL will certainly put you at financial risk. See Cardiff, Swansea, Boro' H'Field, Stoke, B'pool, Hull. WBA etc. Player signings are paid over 3 years in general. as are wage contracts. Our neighbours have been outside the PL for 20 years. Compare the success of the two clubs in those years. We had one player, Naismith who we were unable to shift. Imagine the effect a few others would do to us. Unfortunately with success brings the hangers on. Those who imagine City can charge £1000 a time for season tickets. That the above named clubs didn't overspend, but were just unlucky. Some while back Swansea were held up as the club to aspire to, before them Charlton (who they?). Sh it or bust may be a wish for some, who will soon find something else when the bust hits. The directors have a different remit. That of avoiding the position we were in when D&M bailed us out.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kenny Foggo said:

Exactly, we’re the club that shops in charity shops and asks when there’s a sale on. 

16 minutes ago, PockthorpePete said:

Whereas entering into contracts that cannot be met outside the PL will certainly put you at financial risk. See Cardiff, Swansea, Boro' H'Field, Stoke, B'pool, Hull. WBA etc. Player signings are paid over 3 years in general. as are wage contracts. Our neighbours have been outside the PL for 20 years. Compare the success of the two clubs in those years. We had one player, Naismith who we were unable to shift. Imagine the effect a few others would do to us. Unfortunately with success brings the hangers on. Those who imagine City can charge £1000 a time for season tickets. That the above named clubs didn't overspend, but were just unlucky. Some while back Swansea were held up as the club to aspire to, before them Charlton (who they?). Sh it or bust may be a wish for some, who will soon find something else when the bust hits. The directors have a different remit. That of avoiding the position we were in when D&M bailed us out.

But those clubs are conveniently ignored in favour of the latest beloved darlings spending money they don't have in the PL.

I think the spend and bust days will very soon be done and I for one will be glad.

If ordinary people have to learn to live with less, which they undoubtedly will sooner or later, so should football clubs. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, nutty nigel said:

I think the spend and bust days will very soon be done and I for one will be glad.

I really hope so - But it appears to be getting worse to me? 

4 hours ago, Kenny Foggo said:

We didn’t spend money in the first season and beat Man City, who were a far better team than Liverpool are atm. What memories will Forest have that we didn’t?

47 minutes ago, Google Bot said:

I really hope so - But it appears to be getting worse to me? 

You're right and it doesn't surprise me. Just watch the news, everything gets worse. Eventually though things will have to change. So much about our lives and our world is not sustainable.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, CANARYKING said:

According to Football Insider going to spend £100m in January. During the summer they bought :21 players costing over £200m , hope it all ends in tears.

I’ve just corrected that for you 😂

For all the crap Forest are getting, they are still only 3 points from safety, have scored more goals than Wolves and have conceded less than Leicester and Bournemouth. They can still absolutely stay up. It’s taken them a long, long time to gel, but upheaving 15 odd players or whatever it was is a massive task. I also like that they’ve stuck with their manager despite the tough start to the season. In ways for that alone I hope they stay up. 

20 hours ago, CANARYKING said:

During the summer they bought :21 players costing over £200m

Source for this please?

Transfermarkt has it as £146m spent, or £140m net as they sold players for £6m.

I can't find anywhere which gives an estimate of £200m.

23 minutes ago, AJ said:

For all the crap Forest are getting, they are still only 3 points from safety, have scored more goals than Wolves and have conceded less than Leicester and Bournemouth. They can still absolutely stay up. It’s taken them a long, long time to gel, but upheaving 15 odd players or whatever it was is a massive task. I also like that they’ve stuck with their manager despite the tough start to the season. In ways for that alone I hope they stay up. 

And beat Liverpool 1-0 in their last game!

22 minutes ago, Ken Hairy said:

Just confirmed their first January signing,  Gustavo Scarpa from Palmeiras.

For me this is a very good business.  28 year old . Midfielder  / winger. Very adaptable and hard working for all the teams he's played for. A very good player who scores goals. 🇧🇷 

On 27/10/2022 at 13:59, Branston Pickle said:

Tbh I kind-of hope it does, if only to send a warning to others. It’s ridiculous.

Why is it ridiculous? Man City, Chelsea both spent millions on getting where they are, rich owners bring different ways of approaching the premiership. They’ll only be in trouble if they get relegated and stay down under the FFP rules, but chances are if relegated they’ll fund a promotion push.

I’m pretty sure if it was us next season in their position not many City fans would be moaning!

7 minutes ago, Indy said:

Why is it ridiculous? Man City, Chelsea both spent millions on getting where they are, rich owners bring different ways of approaching the premiership. They’ll only be in trouble if they get relegated and stay down under the FFP rules, but chances are if relegated they’ll fund a promotion push.

I’m pretty sure if it was us next season in their position not many City fans would be moaning!

Crikey - that comment was c6 weeks ago….you’ve been pondering your reply that long?!

It isn’t the money per se, more that it is ridiculous to bring in 20+ players and then a shedload more and pretend you have a grand plan.  It’s scattergun at best.  It also shows practically no loyalty (not the word I’m looking for but it’ll do) to most of the guys that got you promoted….it begs the question, what’s the point of players striving for promotion?  If this is what football becomes, it is dead and I hope it fails.

Meanwhile, for all the criticism of the Newcastle owners, they have done almost precisely the opposite - yes they have spent some cash but it was targeted, and most of the pre existing squad is still there. Imo they are showing the benefit of doing things properly. 

11 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

Crikey - that comment was c6 weeks ago….you’ve been pondering your reply that long?!

It isn’t the money per se, more that it is ridiculous to bring in 20+ players and then a shedload more and pretend you have a grand plan.  It’s scattergun at best.  It also shows practically no loyalty (not the word I’m looking for but it’ll do) to most of the guys that got you promoted….it begs the question, what’s the point of players striving for promotion?  If this is what football becomes, it is dead and I hope it fails.

Meanwhile, for all the criticism of the Newcastle owners, they have done almost precisely the opposite - yes they have spent some cash but it was targeted, and most of the pre existing squad is still there. Imo they are showing the benefit of doing things properly. 

They have indeed, they bought in a very good manager in Howe who understands their financial model Branston, key to moving forwards is getting the right person in…..

If we go up next season, I’d be happy to replace the majority of our first team players! They’ve proven to be short on the standards required. I’m not sure there is a right or wrong way, theirs only the way you go.

On 27/10/2022 at 17:57, canarydan23 said:

Nope, he just had a pretty poor record compared to the bloke we got rid of and, predictably, made things worse when he was appointed. I've no personal animosity towards him whatsoever, I'm sure he's doing his best. It's just his best, as we're now all seeing, is nowhere near good enough. The only anger I have is at Webber who failed to foresee what quite a few people could prior to his appointment.

Really need to sack this in now really.

In Farke's last 20 premier league games, his record was W1, D2, L18. You go another five games back and that only adds a further win and a draw with three more defeats.

On paper, Smith was more proven in the premier league. Remember the table doesn't lie, even with the argument about Villa "only" staying up because of a wrong call about a goal, they didn't finish bottom.

Comparably, in the championship, Farke had two titles and Smith one promotion via the play-offs.

They are not on different astronomical plains. Farke was a European coach having us play European style football which worked and didn't. Zonal marking the way he deployed it always left us vulnerable at set pieces and at the same time we were relatively toothless in our own attacking set pieces - one thing Buendia certainly wasn't all that consistent at despite taking the majority of corners.

We got better with Smith's appointment, not worse. We most certainly had a "bounce" before covid struck and the club ill-advisably tried to push on by fielding every walking wounded senior player we had and filling the bench with keepers and untested U23's.

This season is a different matter, we have spluttered and choked and never quite got going, bar that nice long run of being undefeated which really just evidenced that we are not easy to beat... that's grand but you need to be able to turn those games into wins and that is where our consistency has failed us.

The only anger I have are the folks who continue to insist they know better than professionals and are unwilling to accept that the appointment of a head coach/manager is always a 50/50 call to fans. Either you think he'll do ok or you don't. The fact that you clearly base it off incorrect information rather proves the point that you'd be just as good flipping a coin.

• Like 2