Dean Smith as manager along with his side-kick Craig Shakespeare have between them managed to produce nothing at all apart from apathy for us life-long canary supporters.

Even when results were going well, there was so little to be positive about because performances had been so little to be worked up about.  

Now that our results have taken a turn for the (very) worse, we need this pair out, asap.

Nothing short of that will indicate that the hierarchy ( S & WJ) have finally lost it and Webber is being Webber and is on some difficult to discern revenge exercise.

We need a change of management NOW.

Craig Bellamy would be my instant choice.

• Like 1

The cheap option would be Scott Parker, has two promotions under his belt and maybe a contract to the summer and promotion then revaluation by both club and manager might be best option if Parker would go for that.

Bellamy not sure, Martin probably won’t change from a decent set up at Swansea so we’re pretty much limited to who might want this job and who we can attract with our limited budgets.

That said I think if the club was ever going to get rid of Smith it would have been today, so I can’t see any change this side of January!

Edited by Indy

There's always the option of Webber calling Wagner in for an interim period while we work out the long term plans at this club.  It would be better than anything else offered to him, and would allow us to steady the ship and find out if Smith is the problem - or things run deeper.

He knows the league, and we know his style is more in keeping with the core of our squads development under Farke.

I think it would be something that benefit us both, without requiring any kind of multi-year contract to be signed, although could become longterm should it work out.

Edited by Google Bot

On 26/10/2022 at 16:32, BroadstairsR said:

Dean Smith as manager along with his side-kick Craig Shakespeare have between them managed to produce nothing at all apart from apathy for us life-long canary supporters.

Even when results were going well, there was so little to be positive about because performances had been so little to be worked up about.  

Now that our results have taken a turn for the (very) worse, we need this pair out, asap.

Nothing short of that will indicate that the hierarchy ( S & WJ) have finally lost it and Webber is being Webber and is on some difficult to discern revenge exercise.

We need a complete change of majority share holders. 

Edited by Midlands Yellow

Craig Bellamy? Really?

My heart definitely wants Smith out, but there's still that nagging part of me (my brain) that keeps saying, it's only worth it if we get someone better and I am not sure anyone mentioned above is better.

PS. I need to say it again. Bellamy? Really? 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

We need a complete change of majority share holders. 

image.jpeg.a0cd2b983b7dfd8137358ec37810f96d.jpeg

IMHO, no point pushing this one right now. We have what is looking like our future owners already in the door, yet at this juncture they can also back out.

Push to hard, overly criticise the club etc, and they might start to reconsider what it is they are looking to take over. IMHO, there seems to be a plan in place. It'll take time to come to fruition as it would appear Attanasio isn't wanting to rush anything and wants a smooth transition.

With that in mind, I think it'd be foolish to get all uppity about a process that already looks to be in motion, unless you'd want to derail it for any reason. 

1 minute ago, chicken said:

IMHO, no point pushing this one right now. We have what is looking like our future owners already in the door, yet at this juncture they can also back out.

Push to hard, overly criticise the club etc, and they might start to reconsider what it is they are looking to take over. IMHO, there seems to be a plan in place. It'll take time to come to fruition as it would appear Attanasio isn't wanting to rush anything and wants a smooth transition.

With that in mind, I think it'd be foolish to get all uppity about a process that already looks to be in motion, unless you'd want to derail it for any reason. 

I think the Yanks have worked out our current regime are so out their depth. Should have gone out to pasture years ago but at least the process has began.

6 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

I think the Yanks have worked out our current regime are so out their depth. Should have gone out to pasture years ago but at least the process has began.

Stu mid-negotations: "I think we're on a winner here Delia, play it nice and cool girl, nice and cool."

7 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

There is no way it took so long to get to the point of Attanasio being elected to the board without more than just Foulger's shares being discussed. I fully believe there is a "plan" for Attanasio's group to take over ownership... I suspect some things could speed that up. I also feel that if things turn incredibly sour and quickly, they might have second thoughts.

Either way, it's a non issue right now. If you truly care about what is going on on the pitch first and foremost, shareholdings can't really change that during a season. Perhaps in January, but certainly in the summer. 

I know there’s a yawning disconnect between the man with the AVFC mug & the supporters, but this obsession with certain ex-players coming in to ‘save the day’ is doing my swede in. 

Robins - no no no. Martin - maybe one day, but not yet. Parker - he’d want too much money, short-termed, satorial crimes etc. . Bellamy - the hell??? 

Why can we not cast our net wider? (and no, I  don’t mean Heckingbottom, Fotheringham, Fugelstad or Edwards) 

I have no actual suggestions in terms of names, but I do know that sentimental appointments rarely work out for anyone and we really can’t afford to get it wrong (again). 

I’d really like to think that any candidate search would extend slightly further than the NCFC alumni compendium. And of course, the list of ‘just sacked’ league managers (aka the cheap options). 

Edited by mrdi
  • Like 4

No obsession with ex-players I assure you, and if there was Craig Bellamy would have been the last one on my list until very recently.

However, the man does have an affinity with our club and from being described (by Bobby Robson) as 'the "gobbiest footballer I've ever met' Bellamy has seemingly matured into such a highly respected coach that the admirable and knowledgeable Vincent Company has brought him into his vision for Burnley as assistant coach.

Bellamy has limited actual management experience (Anderlecht B?) but is beginning to make his name in that aspect of the game.

The recent lengthy interview he gave which I believe was posted on here revealed a level-headed character who admitted to his previous shortcomings and certainly knew his football.

It might be an off-left field choice, but the man is a winner who seems to be going places in the coaching/managerial side of the game. His City connections are  irrelevant to me. I believe he would be a better fit than the current incumbents and an enthusiast with and a no-nonsense approach who knows what he wants and would garner respect.

It's what City have to do at this moment in time take a risk on a young up-comimg character who would not break our bank in recruitment. It worked with Lambert, Wee-Alex and Farke. 

Bellamy could be the shot in the arm the club now needs. Risky? Why not?

Edited by BroadstairsR

22 minutes ago, BroadstairsR said:

However, the man does have an affinity with our club and from being described (by Bobby Robson) as 'the "gobbiest footballer I've ever met' Bellamy has seemingly matured into such a highly respected coach that the admirable Vincent Company has brought him into his vision for Burnley as assistant coach.

He's also been vocal in his mental battles recently and had the bullying accusations at Cardiff only a few years back.

I really don't think he's anywhere near jumping into this environment and would rather he enjoy his time working under a young, seemingly excellent, coach in Kompany in a place which is relatively neutral for him. 

I just can't see any sense in it personally, but respect that you have a different take on it.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Google Bot said:

He's also been vocal in his mental battles recently and had the bullying accusations at Cardiff only a few years back.

I really don't think he's anywhere near jumping into this environment and would rather he enjoy his time working under a young, seemingly excellent, coach in Kompany in a place which is relatively neutral for him. 

I just can't see any sense in it personally, but respect that you have a different take on it.

Perhaps you are right, but the same doubts could have been raised about both Neal and Farke.

Kompany considers him a worthy enough number two.

Quite frankly I don't think that we have much to lose except the pay-off money. The current situation offers such a little glimmer of hope that we need something to get excited about. Shot in the arm. Controversial? May be?

Edited by BroadstairsR

16 hours ago, Indy said:

The cheap option would be Scott Parker, has two promotions under his belt

Are you sure about that? His salary with Fulham in the Premier League was £5m a year.

He knows his worth as somebody who has won two gold plated promotions to the Premier League, he won't he 'cheap' at all.

No compensation because he's unemployed, but nothing cheap about the chap. He's going to want a 3 year deal for a start isn't he, and we've only got 18 months of parachute payments left.

41 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Are you sure about that? His salary with Fulham in the Premier League was £5m a year.

He knows his worth as somebody who has won two gold plated promotions to the Premier League, he won't he 'cheap' at all.

No compensation because he's unemployed, but nothing cheap about the chap. He's going to want a 3 year deal for a start isn't he, and we've only got 18 months of parachute payments left.

Yes possibly, but a sacked manager is less attractive, no compensation would bolster his demands and like I said a short term contract might benefit both parties and then review on the end of that contract.

Im not sure how much we’d have to pay for Robins or Martin?

Sorry if this has been posted before, but this article popped up on my newsfeed:

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/aston-villa-dean-smith-norwich-25358744?int_source=amp_continue_reading&int_medium=amp&int_campaign=continue_reading_button#amp-readmore-target

Not too sure whether their "source" is real, but it's an interesting read nonetheless.

20 hours ago, BroadstairsR said:

Don’t you think part of the apathy that has set in is due to the realisation that we had two cracks at the premier league and got no where near. Further to this, because we have had two excellent championship campaigns there is perhaps a level of expectantcy that is unrealistic that we should just breeze back out of this division.

The truth is, (and I genuinely believe Webber overall has improved us in his spell here) is that the team we now have is not as good as the team last time in the championship and has some odd players like Sargent, whom whilst being decent doesn’t seem to fit our current style of play.

In my experience NCFC fans are at our best when we are underdogs (Farke 1st promotion, lamberts championship runners up, even the season we finished 3rd in the prem) we really get behind the team. Conversely we are at our worst when we become entitled, like at the moment.

I think there clearly needs to be some humble pie eaten on all sides, the club need to reengage with the local media and fans, Webber needs to come back out and be clear with our plans and strategy and the fans need to be prepared to listen and buy in on a rational basis. The current situation is heading to tears and on that basis Webber and smith need to change and then there needs to be a reset. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, BroadstairsR said:

No obsession with ex-players I assure you, and if there was Craig Bellamy would have been the last one on my list until very recently.

However, the man does have an affinity with our club and from being described (by Bobby Robson) as 'the "gobbiest footballer I've ever met' Bellamy has seemingly matured into such a highly respected coach that the admirable and knowledgeable Vincent Company has brought him into his vision for Burnley as assistant coach.

Bellamy has limited actual management experience (Anderlecht B?) but is beginning to make his name in that aspect of the game.

The recent lengthy interview he gave which I believe was posted on here revealed a level-headed character who admitted to his previous shortcomings and certainly knew his football.

It might be an off-left field choice, but the man is a winner who seems to be going places in the coaching/managerial side of the game. His City connections are  irrelevant to me. I believe he would be a better fit than the current incumbents and an enthusiast with and a no-nonsense approach who knows what he wants and would garner respect.

It's what City have to do at this moment in time take a risk on a young up-comimg character who would not break our bank in recruitment. It worked with Lambert, Wee-Alex and Farke. 

Bellamy could be the shot in the arm the club now needs. Risky? Why not?

Don’t get me wrong, I always liked Bellars as a player (both with us and after us) and he seems to be doing well in his coaching career. And actually, perhaps it’s not as outlandish as I first thought. You make some very good points. However, I can’t see him making the jump from Burnley after only a few months - especially as there are signs that his partnership with Kompany is becoming rather fruitful. 

Re. Obsession - that wasn’t aimed squarely at you btw, I’ve seen repeated suggestions of Martin/Robins and the cumulative effect is driving me a bit potty. 

I do agree wholly that we need that ‘shot in the arm’ - maybe I’ve still got the similarly intended ‘Gunny Experience’ of 2009 too fresh in my head. 

2 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

He’d also want at least £50m in transfer budget and even then, still give snarky interviews about not being given more. 

32 minutes ago, Big O said:

Don’t you think part of the apathy that has set in is due to the realisation that we had two cracks at the premier league and got no where near. Further to this, because we have had two excellent championship campaigns there is perhaps a level of expectantcy that is unrealistic that we should just breeze back out of this division.

The truth is, (and I genuinely believe Webber overall has improved us in his spell here) is that the team we now have is not as good as the team last time in the championship and has some odd players like Sargent, whom whilst being decent doesn’t seem to fit our current style of play.

In my experience NCFC fans are at our best when we are underdogs (Farke 1st promotion, lamberts championship runners up, even the season we finished 3rd in the prem) we really get behind the team. Conversely we are at our worst when we become entitled, like at the moment.

I think there clearly needs to be some humble pie eaten on all sides, the club need to reengage with the local media and fans, Webber needs to come back out and be clear with our plans and strategy and the fans need to be prepared to listen and buy in on a rational basis. The current situation is heading to tears and on that basis Webber and smith need to change and then there needs to be a reset. 

I agree with almost everything you’ve written here. 

Though far from ‘entitlement’; I think that with everything Webber has spent 6-7 years grooming us for, that means we’ve come to expect far better than what we’ve been since our last title.

If those expectations are false, that’s another failure of Webber’s. 

Edited by mrdi