Sign in to follow this  
Clint

Pukki

It is really annoying me that people think that Pukki is an issue as he’s missing ‘easy chances’.

Pukki had one chance tonight and very few strikers, particularly in the championship, score with every chance they get. Andy Cole in a Man Utd team dominating world football, scored 1in 5 I believe. 

He’s lacking in confidence, like most of our squad, due to the turgid football we’re playing and only having these chances as he’s created his own opportunities.

With him and Sargent up top we could be scoring hat fulls of goals but our manager decides to play one out wide and not to the others strength.

The defeat tonight is down to Smith, not Pukki missing the only sight of goal he had all night.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I don't think you're wrong necessarily, and I love Pukki to bits. But Pukki of the last two campaigns scores that chance tonight IMO and a number of others he's bungled in this difficult run.

It's not an emotional thing, he just has dropped from elite finishing to very good finishing. The difference, unfortunately, is telling.

Sargent and Pukki in the same side is very obviously wonky. Sarge is a dead end in attacking midfield which hurts him, and hurts Pukki who depends on possession + passing in behind.

The greater problem is absolutely that we shouldn't be pointing at our our one chance as the reason we lost. But with the strikers there's a big call which is continuously not being made.

• Like 1

Pukki is doing an amazing job fashioning chances for himself in a system not built for a player like him. Absolute waste of talent from the management. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

All we are doing in playing Pukki in a system that offers him no support is forcing out of the door. He will be gone in January, he looks like he is hating football under Smith atm…..nearly as much as me. 

• Like 2

Pukki seems to be the first name on the teamsheet despite not being in great form. This is bizarre considering his confession of wanting to leave the club at the end of last season. I wouldn't be surpirsed if he managed to secure a move away in January given the terrible "route-one" football which is creeping week by week under Dean Smith.

We need to see Sargent play in his natural position instead, however, I cannot see this happening unless Dean Smith is sacked/resigns and we get a new Manager in.

Edited by TheRock

Agree with the OP, except Pukki didn't 'miss'... he forced a very good save from the goalkeeper. His form is low due to the awful football we're playing. There is no reason that he won't pick up his form again under a new manager, although even if we're in the top two and playing great football by January I think he'll still leave. Best-case scenario is we keep him until the summer and his goals fire us to promotion. 

• Like 1

Sarge &Teem up top. Plenty of options for the midfield behind. They'll score goals & the confidence will rocket - that's what's missing.

• Like 1

I agree with the sentiment and I would never blame Teemu for anything but football is a game of fine margins. The success in 18/19 was based on Pukki basically not missing a chance in the first half of the season.

Things would be very different this season if he scores the chance to go 2-0 against Preston, tucks away the Penalty against Sheffield Utd and slots in the one last night. That is 6 more points and we actually be top of the championship. Funny game.

Edited by Ulfotto
  • Like 1

I think Sargent is starting to get pissed off too. Last night was as poor as I've seen him for ages; poor control, not in the game and giving little or no support to Aarons by tracking back.

If we're not careful, we'll be losing both of them.

• Like 1

Not Pukki's fault. No support for his style. Midfield very very poor and little forward play for Teemu strengths.

Agree Sarge should play up front with Teemu. Put 4 in midfield.

Unfortunately Max is having a stinker of a season. Why ???

Thought they looked better last night than Saturday but don't seem to want to play, and on their high pay ??? 

Smith needs all players available before deciding his future. 8 missing last night at least and no real left back doesn't help.

Must win at weekend to stop all the hype

5 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

I think Sargent is starting to get pissed off too. Last night was as poor as I've seen him for ages; poor control, not in the game and giving little or no support to Aarons by tracking back.

If we're not careful, we'll be losing both of them.

100 % agree plus Max

The single chance he had yesterday he made for himself with a super touch and change of pace. He’s getting virtually nothing from the midfield. The first goal against Sheffield was all his own work. Even the second goal was nothing more than a simple pass leaving him loads to do. 

Sargent is peripheral stuck out wide, Pukki is getting no real service, Max is stuck in his own half. We’re simply wasting our best talent with the way we’re set up.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hairy Canary said:

The single chance he had yesterday he made for himself with a super touch and change of pace. He’s getting virtually nothing from the midfield. The first goal against Sheffield was all his own work. Even the second goal was nothing more than a simple pass leaving him loads to do. 

Sargent is peripheral stuck out wide, Pukki is getting no real service, Max is stuck in his own half. We’re simply wasting our best talent with the way we’re set up.

Agreed. Furthermore, the chance yesterday where Cantwell almost pokes it in is started from a brilliant Pukki move. Its basically a nothing ball he gets and he turns a defender brilliantly. He has been in mediocre form earlier in the season, but to me it seems he is getting into his groove now. Problem is, the lack of service. Both Pukki and Sargent are very, very good goal scorers at this level. If the team just gets the ball to them in half decent positions they will both score. Pukki and Sargent are clearly not the problem.

• Like 1