Sign in to follow this  
Ramrod

Pukki is the problem

Great player, but we don't have a midfield to serve him. 

Pukki is played up front because of what he did with a Farke midfield behind him. But without service he does little and the rest of the side are dysfunctional. 

We must have Sargent up front. The best we have looked this season is with that set up. 

It isn't Teemu's fault but he was an also ran until Farke built a team around him and he is back to that again. 

If Pukki can't play elsewhere he must start on the bench. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Beyond picking Pukki to keep him happy, I fail to see why Sargent isn't playing up top.

Never thought I'd find myself saying that after last season.

The problem is we have a manager who is too scared (or doesn't have the vision) to drop him. Sargent through the middle and Pukki as impact sub is a no brainer right now.

Could have been a different couple of games had he taken his gilt-edged chances. Fine, fine margins.

Pukki is a fantastic player but needs service. I would still say it wasn't a Farke midfield as such but a midfield with Buendia. Even when we had him at the club when he was injured or suspended we didn't do well. 

Pukki isn’t the problem, the inability of the head coach to play to pukki’s strengths is the problem.

Not many championship head coaches have a proven 30 a season championship striker in their ranks. Ours is lucky enough to have one but seems incable of recognising how Pukki gets his goals and then implementing a game plan accordingly. 

What a fool.

• Like 6

I said when Krul was dropped that he had gone from a 7/8 out of 10 (with an occasional 9) to a 6/7 (with an occasional 4). Not huge differences but it shows.

I think the same can be said of Teemu. Not performing awfully but the difference at the sharp end is telling.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Canaries north said:

Pukki is a fantastic player but needs service. I would still say it wasn't a Farke midfield as such but a midfield with Buendia. Even when we had him at the club when he was injured or suspended we didn't do well. 

I’d like to point out that Stiepermann and Vrancic were also good Pukki suppliers.

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, Canaries north said:

Stiepermann fed the goat too. 

1 hour ago, Ramrod said:

Pukki is played up front because of what he did with a Farke midfield behind him. But without service he does little and the rest of the side are dysfunctional. 

We must have Sargent up front. The best we have looked this season is with that set up. 

It isn't Teemu's fault but he was an also ran until Farke built a team around him and he is back to that again. 

Sorry I thought Pukki scored 2 on Saturday and created the best chance of the game for Cantwell tonight. I must be imagining it

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, canarybubbles said:

Pukki isn't the problem. Smith is.

Webber is the problem.

Smith is just the wort that he can take with him.

• Thanks 1

Pukki is good when the team create him chances. The tactics haven't really changed much from last season, so the end result is still the same. We simply are not creating enough clear cut chances. Yes that doesn't excuse the fact he's missed a couple he would probably have scored a few seasons ago, but he's always needed a few attempts to score. We're asking him to score 1/1 at the moment, if he could do that he wouldn't be playing for us

Edited by AJ
  • Like 1

Yes, having Emi in the Champ the last two seasons got Pukki the service he needs.

I don't think Burnley would see Pukki as a problem - They would **** the league with him up top.  Clear where the problem lays.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Indeed, and he's still the best striker we have, regardless of Sargent's form this season.

Agree with this, also agree we’re not feeding him. The two goals he scored against The blades, first was of his own making, second he fashioned his own chance.

A typical Pukki goal is him running onto a perfectly weighted through pass on the floor. If you watch him during games he still makes the same runs, difference is the other players either lack the ability or confidence to thread the ball, or just don’t see his runs.

All comes back to the coaching and tactics. 

8 hours ago, Ian said:

Could have been a different couple of games had he taken his gilt-edged chances. Fine, fine margins.

Also helped keep us in the sheffs game through his brilliance

4 minutes ago, Haus said:

4231 with pukki as a no 10 and sargent up front

I've said this system

Gunn

Aaron's Tompkinson Hanley Macullum 

Gibbs Hayden

Nunez Pukki Sara

Sargeant

Should allow Aaron's or Macullum to push on with necessary cover. Teemu is clever enough to play that role. Later in game we can bring on the likes of Cantwell Sinani Dowell etc without changing system. Worry is though there is still no pace in the squad

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, canarycop said:

I've said this system

Gunn

Aaron's Tompkinson Hanley Macullum 

Gibbs Hayden

Nunez Pukki Sara

Sargeant

Should allow Aaron's or Macullum to push on with necessary cover. Teemu is clever enough to play that role. Later in game we can bring on the likes of Cantwell Sinani Dowell etc without changing system. Worry is though there is still no pace in the squad

I like this and much better than anything Smith has picked since he’s been here!!

Hopefully one of the players reads this and suggest this style given it appears  smith can’t even be bothered deciding how we play 🙄

Pukki is a one trick pony, slotting home through balls with his right.  Almost all his goals are identical, look at his goals against Sheff U and Blackpool, not through balls but made for himself which is admirable.  Yesterday's chance Pukki's was on his rightl hit straight at keeper a trait familiar with Pukki.  If he had just moved the ball with his right onto his left the scoring opportunity would have been better with more of the goal open.  The penalty against Sheff U was poor, often Pukki fails to get any elevation on his penalty kicks and makes saving an easier option.     

i think we should play Sarge instead of Pukki upfront 

but put yourself in Pukki's shoes or boots 

that man has ran miles into the ground for hardly any service since Emi left ,

probably knew this season would be the same wanted or agent wanted a move 

did not happen so he is back running after lost causes with a team not playing to his strengths 

hardly enjoyable at his age  could be at a club giving him chance after chance 

15 hours ago, Ramrod said:

To be fair Pukki has 6 this season which isn't bad and only 2 behind Sargent. 

One thing I'm certain of is that both have to play. And both need to be central.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Indeed, and he's still the best striker we have, regardless of Sargent's form this season.

Really?!

15 hours ago, Coneys Knee said:

Pukki isn’t the problem, the inability of the head coach to play to pukki’s strengths is the problem.

Not many championship head coaches have a proven 30 a season championship striker in their ranks. Ours is lucky enough to have one but seems incable of recognising how Pukki gets his goals and then implementing a game plan accordingly. 

What a fool.

According to the man himself, he doesn't even have a gameplan. The players spontaneously come up with it themselves.

It's a highly successful model, I gather it's actually James Milner who decides how Liverpool play