Sign in to follow this  
Keith Scott

Stuart Webber

19 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

I just wish people wouldn't go overboard with his achievements or at least recognise he's got some things very wrong, particularly around recruitment and supporter interaction.

When you say people, I presume one of them is Stuart based on his interviews.

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, priceyrice said:

I really struggle to understand how anyone can support him. I understand and appreciate that he has helped develop the training ground, having sold the previous regimes gems to do so. 

Under him we have had 2 promotions, but there is little to show for it and out attempts at staying up having been laughable. The squad is no stronger than when he joined, there is more disconnect between fans, the local media and the club than I can recall.

He has spent more money than any previous regime and the majority of that has been on utter crud, some of which aren't deemed good enough for the championship. 

We have no identity, our signings don't seem to make sense but are based on stats.

Add to that the latest signings of Smith and all his nonsense in the media last year, he just has to go.

Apart from all that….. what have the Romans ever done for us?

You answer your own question really. You mention the redevelopment, category 1 academy and community hub. You say it was paid by selling gems while not pointing out those gems were developed under his regime and sold at top dollar. You say he has spent the most but he has brought in more than he has sold. You talk of his latest signings as crud but they really aren’t and his investment in scouting South America before many of our rivals post Brexit showed foresight. Nunez for 4 million isn’t crud.

You dismiss two promotions and two years of Premiership money as nothing but when he took over we were just as likely to go the other way.

I don’t see how anyone can’t see his tenure here as more positive than negative to be honest. He’s made mistakes but when you make so many decisions, they aren’t always going to work out.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

6 hours ago, Kingston Yellow said:

As amusing as the last few posts are, you forget some of the absolute f@&£ ups of recent years.

I’ve been so fixated on the appalling recruitment that Webber’s led, that I’d almost forgotten the pink dressing room, soccerbot and BK8 controversy, a sponsorship deal which lasted even less than Liz Truss’s cabinet.

He doesn’t negotiate the sponsorship deal. The person responsible left soon after.

11 minutes ago, hertfordyellow said:

He doesn’t negotiate the sponsorship deal. The person responsible left soon after.

He doesn’t paint the changing room walls either.  I was reflecting and commenting on the debacle over the last 2 years.  Most of which Webber does land squarely at Webber’s door. 

2 minutes ago, Kingston Yellow said:

He doesn’t paint the changing room walls either.  I was reflecting and commenting on the debacle over the last 2 years.  Most of which Webber does land squarely at Webber’s door. 

Why mention the sponsorship deal then in a thread called ‘Stuart Webber’?

I was interested to hear Bellamy talking about the close knit genuine family vibe at Burnley. Even allowing for an element of honeymoon period etc it did make me wonder whether the culture at Carrow road in any way matches up. Work culture to some extent comes from the top. Has Webber helped instil a happy comraderie at our club or has he hired and fired, crashed and burned, leaving dissatisfaction in his wake.

9 hours ago, hertfordyellow said:

I don’t see how anyone can’t see his tenure here as more positive than negative to be honest. .

Granted. But the key question isn't what he has achieved, but whether he is now an asset or a liability for the club. IMO, he's become a liability and needs replacing. 

Edited by canarybubbles

10 hours ago, hertfordyellow said:

Apart from all that….. what have the Romans ever done for us?

You answer your own question really. You mention the redevelopment, category 1 academy and community hub. You say it was paid by selling gems while not pointing out those gems were developed under his regime and sold at top dollar. You say he has spent the most but he has brought in more than he has sold. You talk of his latest signings as crud but they really aren’t and his investment in scouting South America before many of our rivals post Brexit showed foresight. Nunez for 4 million isn’t crud.

You dismiss two promotions and two years of Premiership money as nothing but when he took over we were just as likely to go the other way.

I don’t see how anyone can’t see his tenure here as more positive than negative to be honest. He’s made mistakes but when you make so many decisions, they aren’t always going to work out.

With many, once expectations go up, the successes that caused expectations to go up in the first place cease to be considered successes. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, corbs said:

I was interested to hear Bellamy talking about the close knit genuine family vibe at Burnley. Even allowing for an element of honeymoon period etc it did make me wonder whether the culture at Carrow road in any way matches up. Work culture to some extent comes from the top. Has Webber helped instil a happy comraderie at our club or has he hired and fired, crashed and burned, leaving dissatisfaction in his wake.

I understand that the Webbers combined have taken morale at the Club to new depths - no surprise results are a struggle currently.

• Like 2

Webber has had success.

2 championships in 3 seasons isn't easy and he built both squads.

He has also failed in Recruitment in the prem and there's an argument that we are now no better than when he joined' although we do have more saleable assets

But it's worth remembering Webber got rid of players and Farke who also won 2 championships with no loyalty so as soon as they hit a bad run of form. He shouldn't be immune to that ruthlessness 

33 minutes ago, glory.win or die. said:

He shouldn't be immune to that ruthlessness 

Exactly, live by the sword etc. I feel for our owners who were often criticised for being to soft, to loyal and promoting from inside. In bringing in Webber they broke this tradition. In many ways, Attanasio etc, they have responded to outside pressure and the shifting times. 

Something as a bit of an aside that I really feel like Webber should be cracking down on and discouraging if we ever want to be a PL team is that I've heard some things recently and seen some thing that suggest that a lot of our players erm, really like a post game pi55 up to put it mildly. I don't post rumors on here but I have a pretty strong reason to believe that this is actually true but I won't go into too much detail. 

You can talk all you want about ability and tactics but the mental side of the game is huge and we often seem to switch off and lack concentration. Remember what happened when Wenger took over Arsenal and forced them to become more dedicated and professional and pretty much teetotal. I'm sure we're not that bad by the standard of other Championship and FL teams but PL teams which is where we want to be are extremely dedicated and ultra professional and that could be an area that Webber should crack down on because it could make a difference and explain some of our more baffling performances. This happened during the Farke era as well so it's not a Smith thing. We're not a team of alchies but they do like a night out and when talking about marginal gains and all that I feel like our Sporting Director should really get a lid on all of that. 

Edited by Christoph Stiepermann

13 hours ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Have you met him or would love to meet him? 

Neither of those things.

I haven't met him, and would rather I didn't.

6 hours ago, canarybubbles said:

Granted. But the key question isn't what he has achieved, but whether he is now an asset or a liability for the club. IMO, he's become a liability and needs replacing. 

Sure, everyone has a 'use by date'. I personally see the foresight of the investment in South American scouting BEFORE Brexit rules kicked in as proof he still is an asset to the club. My observation from interviews is the American investor is quite impressed with him and Webber is the best person to gain the learnings from the Brewers data techniques, he has previously sought similar learnings from F1 teams for example.

5 hours ago, Davidlingfield said:

I understand that the Webbers combined have taken morale at the Club to new depths - no surprise results are a struggle currently.

I don't agree with that statement. Morale was far lower on relegation post Hughton and also when we were in league one prior to that. 

I'm not particularly anti-Webber - considering the financial limitations that we work within the two promotions and the work around the infrastructure have been very good.  I can see what he was trying to do last season but the recruitment - which it has to be said most here were pretty excited by at the time - has been the issue, but I can at least understand the thinking behind it even if I wouldn't have personally gone for that approach.

My issue with him is in his refusal to hold his hands up and admit that mistakes were made.  If he came out and said why the style of play was changed and why Gilmour and Normann were signed but that it didn't quite work out I'd have a lot more sympathy for or at least empathy with him. Rashica and Tzolis are more understandable as they are still our players and may yet have a role to play or at least resale value to maintain. Even the 90% comment would be more understandable in a work life balance if he didn't come across in such an arrogant way.

He just comes across as unlikeable and happy to take the plaudits but less keen on admitting responsibility when things go wrong.  I don't expect guaranteed Premiership football every year.  It will always be a struggle on our budget.  But I liked the identity and the style and the sense of doing things differently that we had in Farke's pomp and I really don't think that we have that same sense of a plan since - and I am adamant that this was imposed or at least prompted from above - Webber interfered in the team structure at the beginning of last season.

• Like 1

The reality is that he's done pretty well, but not great. McNally was more successful by some distance and after all of the comments about McNally's legacy, it is quite ironic how Webber has financed his own legacy on the back of McNally's shrewd youth purchases.

If he walked tomorrow I'd be totally fine with it. Having said that, you can do a lot worse than Webber (see Moxey).

I believe the club dont care what the fans say or want- just completely ignore and stay hidden from the fans but yet keeping the need for fans to continue their support. the club seems to be in complete shambles , even Smith seems to show his arrogance to the fans