Sign in to follow this  
Robert N. LiM

How was Hayden yesterday?

Didn't see yesterday's game  - and haven't seen a thread on this, apologies if I've missed it - so thought I'd ask what people's first impressions of Isaac Hayden were.

I thought he looked good in his two sub appearances, so be interested to know what people made of his first start. 

I'm only replying Robert just to keep this up the topics list in the hope someone more observant than me responds.  I watched the match from about 20 minutes in.  To be honest, I didn't notice him much but I think that's the nature of a player in his position that they don't have to stand out.  I was at the Watford game and watched him very closely when he came on and he's certainly got the qualities that we miss - good defensive positioning, good tackling, able to do simple passing - but I'm not sure we should expect him to do anything more creative.  I did wonder whether our rather more chaotic defending in the second half might have something to do with him tiring but that's pure conjecture on my part.

3 hours ago, Dr Greenthumb said:

Looked ok. Can definitely tell he isn’t up to speed though and got a daft booking at the end of the first half 

To be fair, I think he thought the referee was whistling for half time.

6 hours ago, hogesar said:

To be fair, I think he thought the referee was whistling for half time.

Knowing how incapable that ref was, he probably did, but forgot 

• Haha 1

Some good tackles early on but I didn't notice him really get on the ball much. Understandably faded 2nd half.

Work in progress and will become an important player on time.

He looked commanding coming on against Watford, but didn't see that at weekend. 

Thought his positioning was really suspect at times as he was getting pulled into areas where there was already cover which created space where he should've been positioned..  But we do look disorganised to my eye, so it's no surprise.

There seems to be very little communication between players, no fluidity and as such i'm concerned he's one of those players that comes in and initially looks good, and then we watch as they decline into this mess.   Normann last season very much the same.

We need him to come in to that role and boss things early, by that I mean being vocal and instructing others to take control while he holds our structure and available to releive others. (oo-er!)

To explain; I don't feel there's a great deal of trust.

Dimi seeing yellow and being pulled off at the weekend for Springett is a prime example of that.  Defensive howlers like Gibson in midfield where players just walk back to the half way line with the look of "no surprise" on their faces.  Pukki constantly holding his hands out looking confused after making great runs.

I'm sure this is why you see so many players being pulled out of position, Hayden must not be allowed to fall in to that trap.

Edited by Google Bot

Michael Bailey has written a piece about him on the Athletic today

https://theathletic.com/3720565/2022/10/24/isaac-hayden-norwich-city-newcastle/?source=emp_shared_article

Basically he thinks he was really good in the 1st half but got tired and ineffective after half time

"The problem was, having not started a game since December 2021, Hayden understandably could not sustain his performance levels and Norwich lost their midfield protection as the game became more chaotic. He was withdrawn on 75 minutes at 2-2, but his game never really got going after the interval.

Before things unravelled however, there was a balance between Hayden and Nunez in midfield and a greater balance to Norwich generally"

• Thanks 1

Wow, he's a walking red card. Seriously doubt he'll make it to half time. If this is what we've been waiting for then I fear for the rest of the season.