essex canary

Another Championship Manager?

Do we want to recruit a manager from another Championship Club with Norwich connections?

If so wouldn't Mark Robins be a better bet than Russell Martin?

Unfortunately I wouldn't trust our higher ups to look that close to home for a manager, we'd end up with someone who has been managing in Gibraltar's 2nd division.

• Haha 1

There's no rush for Russell Martin. He's already walked out on MK Dons so needs to continue to build his ever growing reputation. NCFC would be a step backwards right now for him.

Absolutely no need for NCFC connections, probably even as a disadvantage as branded a 'yes' man.

Steven Schumacher is doing a great job at Plymouth so might be a consideration.

2 hours ago, Capt. Pants said:

There's no rush for Russell Martin. He's already walked out on MK Dons so needs to continue to build his ever growing reputation. NCFC would be a step backwards right now for him.

Absolutely no need for NCFC connections, probably even as a disadvantage as branded a 'yes' man.

NCFC connections might galvanise the fan base and heal the clear fractures that exist between the club and most supporters.

I'm not sure Martin achieves that though as there is a revisionist tendency among some to claim that he was dog**** for us. It's complete ****, he was a mainstay during our most successful period in years, but there you go.

Edited by canarydan23

Sun newspaper (yes I know) ran an exclusive saying we are lining up rus Martin.

I mean it's obvious lazy 1 + 1 journalism but we can hope 

2 hours ago, GodlyOtsemobor said:

Unfortunately I wouldn't trust our higher ups to look that close to home for a manager, we'd end up with someone who has been managing in Gibraltar's 2nd division.

The West Midlands isn't that far away.

I think Russ Martin should stay at Swansea for the foreseeable future and be a likely success....If he does come here and it all turns into rat-sh!t?....

2 hours ago, Capt. Pants said:

There’s no way NCFC are a step backwards for him from Swansea.

They’ve had 5 long years out of the PL now and that’s an age in football. 

At worst you could argue it’s a sideways move.

Football is fickle, managers and clubs only often align momentarily. I don’t know the guy, but if he does have a desire to manage us one day he’d be foolish not to jump if the situation arose imo.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Monty13 said:

There’s no way NCFC are a step backwards for him from Swansea.

They’ve had 5 long years out of the PL now and that’s an age in football. 

At worst you could argue it’s a sideways move.

Football is fickle, managers and clubs only often align momentarily. I don’t know the guy, but if he does have a desire to manage us one day he’d be foolish not to jump if the situation arose imo.

Oh dear!

Last time I checked Swansea had SEVEN (yes that's SEVEN) seasons in the PL between 2011/2012 and 2018/2019. They haver just won SEVEN of their last nine and are sitting fourth in the league. Oh and they play far better football (in my humble opinion) than us. 

R Martin will NOT return as manager here anytime soon.  

3 minutes ago, yellowrider120 said:

Oh dear!

Last time I checked Swansea had SEVEN (yes that's SEVEN) seasons in the PL between 2011/2012 and 2018/2019. They haver just won SEVEN of their last nine and are sitting fourth in the league. Oh and they play far better football (in my humble opinion) than us. 

R Martin will NOT return as manager here anytime soon.  

They were relegated in 2018. They were in the Champ in 2018/2019 season.

5th season in the Championship failing to challenge for automatic promotion in the last 4. A 15th place finish last year. Where have we been in that time?

They are on a great run, so?

He may well feel he has enough to get them up, but right now Swansea are not a better positioned club than us other than very recent form.

As I said if he genuinely wants to manage this club and the option came up it would be strange not to take it unless he doesn’t really want to.

Swansea have been cutting their budgets year on year in the Championship. They're doing well but we're absolutely a 'bigger' job right now. Maybe he would prefer to stay and see that job through but I'd imagine we'd be pretty a pretty tempting.

21 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

I think he's straight, but never hurts to ask.

What's his sexuality got to do with him managing Norwich City?

1 hour ago, Monty13 said:

They were relegated in 2018. They were in the Champ in 2018/2019 season.

5th season in the Championship failing to challenge for automatic promotion in the last 4. A 15th place finish last year. Where have we been in that time?

They are on a great run, so?

He may well feel he has enough to get them up, but right now Swansea are not a better positioned club than us other than very recent form.

As I said if he genuinely wants to manage this club and the option came up it would be strange not to take it unless he doesn’t really want to.

Yes - my mistake about 2018/19 but the seven successive seasons is fact. Agreed, if you look at last four seasons, we have been  ahead in terms of league status. My fear is that under Smith we are in danger of treading water at best. RM has Swans on an upward curve. Smith doesn't here. 

46 minutes ago, kinggoblin said:

Wayne Rooney is back in the country 😉

All joking aside and I’m not saying I’d want him, but he did a good job at Derby in difficult circumstances. 

2 hours ago, KeiranShikari said:

Swansea have been cutting their budgets year on year in the Championship. They're doing well but we're absolutely a 'bigger' job right now. Maybe he would prefer to stay and see that job through but I'd imagine we'd be pretty a pretty tempting.

To be fair, when you are relegated and don't bounce back up, that's what you have to do. Is there a suggestion they are having to do that more than in line with parachute payments or are they operating to a similar model to us but with a lower annual turnover? 

7 minutes ago, chicken said:

To be fair, when you are relegated and don't bounce back up, that's what you have to do. Is there a suggestion they are having to do that more than in line with parachute payments or are they operating to a similar model to us but with a lower annual turnover? 

I think so, although because they were in the Premier League for longer their wages had inflated even further. Ayew was on 80k p/w for 2 Championship seasons.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheDarkKnight said:

Trying to think of a Scottish manager. Apart from Steve Clarke (who is probably done with club management), there is no budding Sir Alex Ferguson's.

Billy Reid might be worth a punt.

He was the Hamilton manager for 8 years. They played some really good stuff. He actually rejected an approach by Swansea to stay with Hamilton.

Eventually, he joined Graham Potter at Östersund as his assistant manager. Before following Potter to Swansea (coincidently).

He's now Potter's number 2 at Chelsea. 

Reid might be reluctant to leave Chelsea, but in a year or two, who knows.

It's no surprise that Reid and Potter connect so well, as their footballing principles are the same.

Russell Martin played 29 times for Scotland.

• Like 1

All Hypothetical Smith won’t be going anywhere unless he gets pissed off by all the rightly negative comments coming his way

i want the very best manager in the world who 

Wants to come here / we can afford 

And that is what Webber should be doing not just look at Ex players like Marin and Robins

2 hours ago, yellowrider120 said:

Yes - my mistake about 2018/19 but the seven successive seasons is fact. Agreed, if you look at last four seasons, we have been  ahead in terms of league status. My fear is that under Smith we are in danger of treading water at best. RM has Swans on an upward curve. Smith doesn't here. 

Plenty of managers move on to opportunities when they are in better current league positions. It’s happened this year, we’ve even had someone drop a division. It’s all about the opportunity and whether they want it.

5 hours ago, Dame to Blame said:

We have a manager 

Actually we don't, we have a Sporting Director and a Head Coach both of whom should have sacked at the end of last season (if not earlier).

The fact that they are both still here and both still failing is IMO bringing into question whether we do simply need a new Head Coach or whether the Sporting Director experiment has ultimately failed and we need to get rid of both and revert back to the more traditional (in this country) model of just having a manager.