Parma Ham's gone mouldy

Teemu’s first goal 👌

The genius of Pukki’s first goal has been totally overlooked and marking it down as ‘a howler’ totally misrepresents the superb psychological and technical skill that Pukki used.

If you watch the micro-movements carefully, having harried the initial ball in to the defender, Pukki pressures Egan and shuts down any other reasonable option with his angle of approach. 

It is worth nothing that there is ‘not much to see here’ up to this point, so Pukki is already making more effort and chasing chickens that others wouldn’t bother with. 

As the ball goes back to Davies (there is not too much wrong with it), because he has ‘ ‘shepherded’ Egan, he accelerates before Egan even makes the pass. 

Teemi then exaggerates his wide right angle into Davies, telegraphing him that he has to open out to the right side of the field. He makes quite an ‘acty’ point of this to catch Davies’ eye. 

Still nothing is obviously critical. Pukki is clever though, because he has caught Davies’ eye the goalkeeper (rightly in the circumstances!) pushes his first touch further away to the right and a little squarer.

Pukki is then absolute genius on two counts. He fractionally ‘brake tests’ to ensure that Davies does believe he can take the long kick successfully, then - and this takes real top level striking quality - he does not ‘throw himself’ at the ball or make a typical challenge or tackle. 

If you look closely, he retains his balance, body shape and form and stretches out his right leg whilst - absolutely crucially - offering what I would call ‘a soft ankle’ so that any ricochet ‘cushions into it’ (like dampeners) instead of coming off hard as a ball typically would in a classic tackle. 

I appreciate that this will be too much detail for some, though for those that are interested - and before anyone rushes into talking about Teemu as anything another than a supremely gifted striker with a fantastic record-breaking quality - this is an indication of the quality of striker that we have been privileged to have watched these past few years.

Nobody in Finland would be remotely surprised of course. 

It is not ‘a howler’. I would argue that it is barely a mistake from  anyone. It is actually nuanced top level genius. Bravo Teemu 👌

Parma 

Edited by Parma Ham's gone mouldy
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 5

Both our goals yesterday came from rather hopeful long balls forward from Aarons. In both cases they led to goals because of the work rate, determination and craftiness of Pukki. 

Some of our resident 'experts' will be along soon to whinge that "we don't have a Plan B". 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

Both our goals yesterday came from rather hopeful long balls forward from Aarons. In both cases they led to goals because of the work rate, determination and craftiness of Pukki. 

Some of our resident 'experts' will be along soon to whinge that "we don't have a Plan B". 

And both goals came with a large slice of luck.

The closing down and threatening, both real and acted ,of keepers is something that an awful lot of strikers just don't get. The subtle changes of direction and pace are critical, Pukki is a master at it, and has been for years. 

I have watched coaches trying to convey this key point to strikers, including Adam Idah  when he was a kid, he was not bad at it then, coming in from the right of a three where he often played. I suppose the step up in level of keepers has to be matched and bettered by the strikers technique and guile.  Watch and learn , Josh and Adam.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Parma Ham's gone mouldy said:

It is not ‘a howler’. I would argue that it is barely a mistake from  anyone. It is actually nuanced top level genius.

These things are not mutually exclusive. The 'nuanced top level genius' was only possible because of the mistake the keeper made. He could, and should, have made such a piece of skill impossible to pull off.

Sargent is just as good as Pukki at it, Sargent has come close numerous times. Where Pukki has the advantage is he technical nous and movement. Where Josh has the advantage, is his now greater speed and maintained acceleration. 

2 hours ago, Parma Ham's gone mouldy said:

The genius of Pukki’s first goal haas been totally overlooked and marking it down as ‘a howler’ totally misrepresents the superb psychological and technical skill that Pukki used.

If you watch the micro-movements carefully, having harried the initial ball in to the defender, Pukki pressures Egan and shuts down any other reasonable option with his angle of approach. 

It is worth nothing that there is ‘not much to see here’ up to this point, so Pukki is already making more effort and chasing chickens that others wouldn’t bother with. 

As the ball goes back to Davies (there is not too much wrong with it), because he has ‘ ‘shepherded’ Egan, he accelerates before Egan even makes the pass. 

Teemi then exaggerates his wide right angle into Davies, telegraphing him that he has to open out to the right side of the field. He makes quite an ‘acty’ point of this to catch Davies’ eye. 

Still nothing is obviously critical. Pukki is clever though, because he has caught Davies’ eye the goalkeeper (rightly in the circumstances!) pushes his first touch further away to the right and a little squarer.

Pukki is then absolute genius on two counts. He fractionally ‘brake tests’ to ensure that Davies does believe he can take the long kick successfully, then - and this takes real top level striking quality - he does not ‘throw himself’ at the ball or make a typical challenge or tackle. 

If you look closely, he retains his balance, body shape and form and stretches out his right leg whilst - absolutely crucially - offering what I would call ‘a soft ankle’ so that any ricochet ‘cushions into it’ (like dampeners) instead of coming off hard as a ball typically would in a classic tackle. 

I appreciate that this will be too much detail for some, though for those that are interested - and before anyone rushes into talking about Teemu as anything another than a supremely gifted striker with a fantastic record-breaking quality - this is an indication of the quality of striker that we have been privileged to have watched these past few years.

It is not ‘a howler’. I would argue that it is barely a mistake from  anyone. It is actually nuanced top level genius. Bravo Teemu 👌

Parma 

Love that analysis… reckon he just closed the keeper down though 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Great post Parma. This is why Pukki has to play. Those who don't see this now will miss it when he's gone. Hopefully Josh is watching and learning.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, CDMullins said:

And both goals came with a large slice of luck.

Of course - when Norwich score a goal which doesn't fit your agenda it's because we were lucky............................

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

Of course - when Norwich score a goal which doesn't fit your agenda it's because we were lucky............................

Watch out for Seedy's pineapple 🍍

1 hour ago, keelansgrandad said:

I think TIC applies to this post

No. I was a striker.

More than half of the managers I had wouldn’t have seen it either. 

We are very lucky to have Pukki.

Actually he is almost all we have. Underrate him at your peril. 

Parma 

post script: we couldn’t afford to buy a striker half as good as Pukki I’m afraid. 

Edited by Parma Ham's gone mouldy
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Parma Ham's gone mouldy said:

No. I was a striker.

More than half of the managers I had wouldn’t have seen it either. 

We are very lucky to have Pukki.

Actually he is almost all we have. Underrate him at your peril. 

Parma 

post script: we couldn’t afford to buy a striker half as good as Pukki I’m afraid. 

Well its militants like you then that has got this country in this mess not that nice man Boris

• Haha 2

Sorry Parma can’t agree with this one…

How many other strikers close intelligently?

How many other times does Pukki close like that on a keeper yet he still clears the ball easily? Quite a lot I’d say. 

It was not some exceptional run that gave the keeper little chance to do anything other than kick in to Pukki, Davies had time, space and a pretty comfortable back pass to control and clear. Had he done the very easy role he was given with the clearance correctly then we would not be discussing Pukki’s run.

Perhaps if Pukki’s running often gifted him chances like this against keepers then I’d say fair enough he’s clearly doing something different. But to be honest I’d probably put Sargent ahead of Pukki on pressing in moments like those, he gave a couple of opposing keepers real trouble earlier in the season when playing as the number 9 (Sunderland and maybe Millwall or Huddersfield).

For me absolutely nothing more than a howler by the keeperl!

He created his own "luck" with a very clever piece of play.

That is Teemu Pukki. Different class.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, GJP said:

That is Teemu Pukki. Different class.

Yep. He is on another level and boy will we miss him when he's gone. As irreplaceable, perhaps moreso than Emi.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Bovril said:

Sargent is just as good as Pukki at it, Sargent has come close numerous times. Where Pukki has the advantage is he technical nous and movement. Where Josh has the advantage, is his now greater speed and maintained acceleration. 

Sargent has come on leaps and bounds, and deserves enormous credit for that. But no way his thinking is yet anywhere near Pukki's level. When Sargent has only one option and has to react quickly on instinct, he's been really good this season. But when there are several options his thinking is still too slow and he's nowhere near Teemu in his vision of the whole pitch and what is happening on it. 

2 hours ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

Are you suggesting they weren't?

Lets be right, 

Any half intelligent footballer does this,

Changes body shape, slows down/speeds up to make the opposition think they are/aren't going to challenge for the ball or to force them a certain way 

It was Teemu's lucky day.

6 hours ago, Parma Ham's gone mouldy said:

Watching this again on the highlights is very enjoyable. Such a clever footballer, one of the best we've ever had. Absolutely bizarre he's not playing in the PL. We're so lucky to have him.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, CDMullins said:

yes, but

1 hour ago, GJP said:

5 minutes ago, Robert N. LiM said:

yes, but

You think their keepers never had a striker approach him like that before?

1 hour ago, CDMullins said:

Lets be right, 

Any half intelligent footballer does this,

Changes body shape, slows down/speeds up to make the opposition think they are/aren't going to challenge for the ball or to force them a certain way 

There aren't many half intelligent footballers. And there are very, very few with Teemu's full intelligence.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, hogesar said:

Yep. He is on another level and boy will we miss him when he's gone. As irreplaceable, perhaps moreso than Emi.

On par, and what a partnership they were. 

9 hours ago, Parma Ham's gone mouldy said:

The genius of Pukki’s first goal haas been totally overlooked and marking it down as ‘a howler’ totally misrepresents the superb psychological and technical skill that Pukki used.

Parma 

It is not a howler’. I would argue that it is barely a mistake from  anyone. It is actually nuanced top level genius. Bravo Teemu .

It's a howler by there reserve goalkeeper who's played two games this season.

Pukki is a master of his trade   . This was a howler no ifs no buts.

Edited by Mengo
  • Like 2