Sign in to follow this  
cambridgeshire canary

So blunt fans say we are a disgusting, diving, cheating team

Sure seems to be what I'm seeing from Sheffield united fans across social media, talking about how they deserved a win 'due to how much of a pathetic diving team you are' etc etc

Now, I know they have been a tad obsessed with us since that one time we were late to kickoff so much so they sometimes still sing songs about it (very odd fansbase they have..) but would you agree with them that our "****housing" antics were out of line and pretty pathetic or is it all just a part of the game and had they been ahead their players would have been doing the same?

Refs need to get a grip of it, it’s embarrassing to see the antics of these overpaid prima donnas 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Ulfotto said:

Every team does it it’s just we are not very good at it.

Plus I think most fans are conflicted about whether this is a good or bad thing. I would probably say it depends what division we are in.

18 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Sure seems to be what I'm seeing from Sheffield united fans across social media, talking about how they deserved a win 'due to how much of a pathetic diving team you are' etc etc

Now, I know they have been a tad obsessed with us since that one time we were late to kickoff so much so they sometimes still sing songs about it (very odd fansbase they have..) but would you agree with them that our "****housing" antics were out of line and pretty pathetic or is it all just a part of the game and had they been ahead their players would have been doing the same?

Fair play to their fans fighting their own club's corner. I'm sure their players love it .

There certainly was a fair amount of rolling around, which helped arrive at the 7 minutes of stoppage time. Unfortunately the ref seemed eager to 'let the game flow' when we didn't make a meal out of the constant fouling so it's not really our fault.

It's also fair to say that we were lucky not to lose purely on the balance of actual chances, although we probably should have capitalised on some of the attacks when we were 3 v 3 and even 3 v 2. Even with the penalty our xG was under 1.5.

• Like 1

I didn’t see it.  But if we did what the Watford players started to do from the 55th min last weekend, I’d be mortified.

It’s become part of the game, like diving for a pen did - that’s been addressed in some ways, yellow card for a dive and I think we see less of it now. 

The pretending to be injured, waiting for the medical staff to get on the pitch, time to heal and use the medical sponge needs to stop, I never believe the correct time gets added on either at the end.  

last season I think Southampton had one player fall with a broken limb in the 60th min every game so their coach could have a mini team talk with the rest of the players.  Pathetic.

Ideas to stop it?  A team with a stretcher run on and get them off for treatment within 30secs? 

Edited by Danbury Yellow
  • Like 1

Sheff U players much worse for that. Constantly trying to win free kicks and get in the refs ear. Seemed like the main tactic as their set pieces were quite good. Billy Sharp the worst for it yet again. 

• Like 1

The game should be allowed to play on with physios on the pitch as in rugby. Pretty sure the physio would on become pretty redundant.

in fact there are a few things football could take from rugby.

3 minutes ago, Coneys Knee said:

The game should be allowed to play on with physios on the pitch as in rugby. Pretty sure the physio would on become pretty redundant.

in fact there are a few things football could take from rugby.

Good suggestion, they only stop that if a ruck starts to roll towards injured player!! 
And rugby stops the clock with no injury time, which I like too.  

Edited by Danbury Yellow

6 minutes ago, Danbury Yellow said:

I didn’t see it.  But if we did what the Watford players started to do from the 55th min last weekend, I’d be mortified.

It’s become part of the game, like diving for a pen did - that’s been addressed in some ways, yellow card for a dive and I think we see less of it now. 

The pretending to be injured, waiting for the medical staff to get on the pitch, time to heal and use the medical sponge needs to stop, I never believe the correct time gets added on either at the end.  

last season I think Southampton had one player fall with a broken limb in the 60th min every game so their coach could have a mini team talk with the rest of the players.  Pathetic.

Ideas to stop it?  A team with a stretcher run on and get them off for treatment within 30secs? 

More than 30 seconds on the ground and you have to sit out 5 minutes of the game as a precautionary measure. 

Can't say I blame them, it's very noticeable we've become a team of divers etc since November last year, Cantwells one yesterday was hilarious, Hanley goes down with a gust of wind which is embarrassing for a big man. 

Now we were far too honest in the past, but we're going too far the other way now and the big problem with it is we're no sodding good at it. 

I do not like the club we are becoming and I blame one man for that..... SMITH OUT! 

Edited by Ken Hairy

11 minutes ago, Danbury Yellow said:

Good suggestion, they only stop that if a ruck starts to roll towards injured player!! 

I also am a fan of how rugby stops the clock. Would also be fun knowing that if you could manage to keep the ball in play you could play on indefinitely (in theory) if you’re needing a goal.

Let's not fool ourselves. Some of our rolling about on the floor was quite embarrassing at times. We have way more quality in our team than to fall back on rolling around time wasting at such an early part of the game.

1 hour ago, Danbury Yellow said:

Straight yellow for any player who rolls around screaming and moaning only to then get up and is clearly fine and unharmed as soon as said players team gets the ball back.

Cantwell was involved in a coming together of bodies, then proceeded to throw himself head first Into the space in front of him and rather inexplicably, lay on the ground clutching his leg.

Embarrassing and shameful.

The most hilarious thing from yesterday's game was the Sheffield Utd players bawling in the refs face that they'd "won the ball" after one of their players eviscerated Hernandez and another one assaulted Gibbs in their box. Truly embarrassing. 

• Like 1

As bad as Todd was why isn't Dimi being singled out. He fell down screaming holding every bit of his anatomy in a foetal position and had  not been touched.

I agree we should be in the Ref's face and ear more often but cannot condone the diving.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

The most hilarious thing from yesterday's game was the Sheffield Utd players bawling in the refs face that they'd "won the ball" after one of their players eviscerated Hernandez and another one assaulted Gibbs in their box. Truly embarrassing. 

Yes, that really was quite astonishing - although I think they may possibly have been claiming the first one was outside the area? 

We were quite guilty of it yesterday sure, but McBurnie did exactly the same to get Dimi booked. And there was another situation in which I think Brewster sprayed a ball wide and got clipped, did the full on breakdance-esque foetal spin screaming in agony. Ref waved advantage and as soon as the ball was in a crossing position he sprung to his feet and arrowed for the back post.

Not sure what the solution but I don't agree with the idea it was just us. The difference was... we were winning.

The main problem was our shìthousery actually geed their crowd up, who until then were pretty quiet. Sharp used this to their advantage. As said on the main match thread, the 2nd half was the time to be boring, play percentages, bore their fans and play on their lack of confidence. A missed opportunity.