KeiranShikari

Football Manager 2023

6 hours ago, robertociNCFC said:

My biggest soft spot for a managerial game goes to Ultimate Soccer Manager 98-99, I loved that you could adjust everything all the way down to the price of hot dogs! 

It also had voiced commentating during the match which would shout out some players names during the game, even some Norwich players were in there, its how Fuglestad has been burned into my memory after all these years.

ultimate-soccer-manager-98-99_2 (1).jpg

If I remember correctly you could do thinks like offer bribes and bungs to other teams and players in this game. It was bat****.

On 25/10/2022 at 23:37, The Raptor said:

The main thing I'd like them to add to the game is more control over ground improvements. Anyone remember premier manager from the early 90s? I loved the fact I could click on the stadium page and upgrade the floodlights, add a scoreboard, convert terraces to seats. Stuff like that. And also choose which sponsors you wanted round the ground.

Yes I know. Its not strictly in the managers remit and the games are getting overcomplicated as it is. It would still be less frustrating than asking the board every summer for ground improvements and get told money isn't available. 

I also like that you had to start in the conference and work your way up. Something I still generally do on football manager to this day, as a few of you do judging by this thread! I usually start as Barnet as a mate's a fan and I can pester him for info! 

The guys who make FM are very keen that it is a simulation as much as possible so no interest in adding stuff like this that no manager would ever have input into. 

I do think there is a gap in the market for some competition though- FM has gone a bit stale as they know they can release an update every year and get 1m+ sales without anyone cutting into their turf.

6 hours ago, KeiranShikari said:

vOInf9T.jpg

Did any of you have this?

I have the 2004/2005 season version of it somewhere!!! 

Remember selling Greeno for a decent fee and brought in Crespo for very little 🤣 ......

Oh and somehow managed to get Alan Shearer in on loan, still shipped loads of goals with Danny Ward in goal 🤣

Edited by GodlyOtsemobor

1 hour ago, king canary said:

The guys who make FM are very keen that it is a simulation as much as possible so no interest in adding stuff like this that no manager would ever have input into. 

I do think there is a gap in the market for some competition though- FM has gone a bit stale as they know they can release an update every year and get 1m+ sales without anyone cutting into their turf.

Thats a shame, maybe they should diversify their brand, ie have a version independent from the main game where you can do this

8 hours ago, KeiranShikari said:

vOInf9T.jpg

Did any of you have this?

I was buzzing to get this when it came out in late 2003. Think I got it near to release.

It was f***king awful. I played it pretty much straight away and genuinely think that was the only time I ever fired it up.

This was out around the time of CM 03/04 which was brilliant, and the era of CM/FM games in the early to mid 2000s which were tonnes better than now. I find the FM games totally overwhelming these days, there's just too much going on, overcrowded interfaces etc. Has it got a decent 3D match engine yet?

Anyone playing football manager 21 ?

at the start Youssoufa Moukoko is playing for Dortmund's  under 18's 

you can get him on a free when his contract expires and he is a monster in front of goal ! 

in fact he is one of the games best strikers 

3 hours ago, The Great Mass Debater said:

I have a young Swedish right winger at the moment https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/roony-bardghji/profil/spieler/792331

Id love for his info to say 'Could be the new Kennedy Bakircioglü'

Had him on FM22 and he was indeed a superstar in the making on there. Luckily he was still at Copenhagen five years into my save, so I was able to pick him up for about £15m, which was a bargain price as he'd already developed into a top player.

3 hours ago, The Great Mass Debater said:

Thats a shame, maybe they should diversify their brand, ie have a version independent from the main game where you can do this

They kind of tried it a few years ago- there was a version of the game that was stripped back and you could 'buy' certain boosts and things during the game. Nobody seemed to like it.

I think they've got a very solid business mode where everybody knows what they're going to get from their game. I'd imagine if there was a big enough market for a more arcadey style football management game someone would have filled that void. 

2 hours ago, norfolkngood said:

Anyone playing football manager 21 ?

at the start Youssoufa Moukoko is playing for Dortmund's  under 18's 

you can get him on a free when his contract expires and he is a monster in front of goal ! 

in fact he is one of the games best strikers 

Ah Tonton Zola's son...

8 hours ago, The Great Mass Debater said:

Match engine has never been right. Even now your players make inexplicable mistakes leading to goals you dont see the opposition make and worldies only ever seem to get scored against you, never for you.

My players with 20 for long shots seem never to shoot from distance or score. Apart from one player https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ahmed_Barusso on a previous version who spanked it in all the time. Think I got him on a free as well. Into the hall of legends son alongside Tonton Zola Moukoko and Cherno Samba!

I honestly think this year's match engine is a big improvement. 

They've changed mentality significantly meaning that most formations and styles are more viable than ever. Some people managed it but I've never enjoyed using lower blocks in FM. This year first thing I did was a mid block/low line defensive mentality tactic and it worked well. In the past defensive styles felt like they just caused the opponent to have wave after wave of attack.  Now it feels like a 'risk' slider with attacks happening even on 'very defensive'. 

Whilst I agree that the long shots aren't right at the moment I haven't noticed it being in favour of the AI. I've seen a lot of people complaining about balls over the top too which I think is actually pretty easy to combat. It's anecdotal as it's based on 1 season but I think the importance of decision making has been boosted this year.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, king canary said:

They kind of tried it a few years ago- there was a version of the game that was stripped back and you could 'buy' certain boosts and things during the game. Nobody seemed to like it.

I think they've got a very solid business mode where everybody knows what they're going to get from their game. I'd imagine if there was a big enough market for a more arcadey style football management game someone would have filled that void. 

FM Touch. It was actually pretty fun if you wanted a quick game or more of a 'DoF' type role, because you could skip the matches (which I did).

I only ever had one go of it on FM21, the final FM with it in, and I started it around June because I wanted a quick game before the next FM was released. I thoroughly enjoyed the faster 'pick up and play' element for a nice change to the real thing.

9 hours ago, KeiranShikari said:

They've changed mentality significantly meaning that most formations and styles are more viable than ever. Some people managed it but I've never enjoyed using lower blocks in FM. This year first thing I did was a mid block/low line defensive mentality tactic and it worked well. In the past defensive styles felt like they just caused the opponent to have wave after wave of attack.  Now it feels like a 'risk' slider with attacks happening even on 'very defensive'. 

Whilst I agree that the long shots aren't right at the moment I haven't noticed it being in favour of the AI. I've seen a lot of people complaining about balls over the top too which I think is actually pretty easy to combat. It's anecdotal as it's based on 1 season but I think the importance of decision making has been boosted this year.

I think your right a deep line in previous FM was suicidal even with 11 men behind the ball. (Someone tell Deano this 😉)

Seems that you can now park the bus more successfully.

Loving the midfield especially at lower levels it's a total mess like school boy football.

I've had a lot of success playing a ball winning terrier to pressure players with 2 more mids to mop up.

I was able to combat the balls over the top with tall defenders (again lower league I ensure my defenders are 6'3 minimum ) and one set in extreme circumstances to sweep.

A good sweeper keeper (not at lower levels 😂) also solves this.

Loving the fan feedback and the game seems to run smarter and faster.

Also don't forget the change to substitute rules as well.

Can't remember which version it was but one of the ones in the late 90s / early 2000s ('98 or 2001 maybe) was my favourite.  Always picked a lower league or non-league team to start - and my first two signings were always Geoff Pitcher from Kingstonians and Gez Murphy from I think Telford.  They'd stay with me through to European glory.  The cheat code was playing anyone between the lines - and I think at one point I invented the double pivot (the Uruguayan league was an absolute goldmine for CDMs who could pass whilst being a bit nasty) and the false nine years before Guardiola had even dreamed it.

I only managed Norwich once when we'd slipped down to the bottom division in about 2025.  Promoted a youth team striker into the reserves who had bang average stats aside from movement and decision making but who just kept scoring so I gave him a chance in the first team at the end of a season at the age of 18 and he still kept scoring.  Went on to score more than 35 goals a season for his entire 500 goal one club career until he retired - barely able to move but still finding the net - but weirdly never played for England.  So if anyone called Russell Sutton appears in the U23 team anytime soon he might be one to keep an eye on ...

I daren't play it again - it just ate my life even before the complications that the later versions have added.  I was averaging about four hours sleep a night for about 18 months at one point.  It used to have this stat about how long you had played that particular game and frankly it got intervention level scary ...

Edited by Barham Blitz

With the amount of fun I'm having with this edition of the match engine I think it's safe to say I'm going to be playing a lot more this season than I have  in recent years. 

9 hours ago, Nexus_Canary said:

Took the job at Swansea uni 😂

Amateur team in Welsh lower leagues. 🤣

Started in Wales myself with Caernarfon, the lowest rep Canaries playable in the game. I have a defender with 17 jumping reach named Gruff John Williams so I already like this team a lot.

• Like 1

On 04/11/2022 at 23:31, KeiranShikari said:

Good to hear.

I'm deep in a save in 22 so won't update for awhile, if at all but can relate to you about the low blocks. Felt if I ever dropped my line of engagement below high it just lead to wave after wave of attacks.

Not sure I’ve mentioned this before but I remember playing Championship Manager 2 as Wigan with the 3 Amigos-Martinez, Seba and Diaz.

Anyway, it was very easy to hack into the commentary-easy for us even with no technical skills-so we would have text like “Martinez tw@ts the ball over the bar” or “Martinez hits a shot right out of the ground”. All very schoolboy-ish, although I was over 30 at the time 😳

18 minutes ago, Mr Angry said:

Not sure I’ve mentioned this before but I remember playing Championship Manager 2 as Wigan with the 3 Amigos-Martinez, Seba and Diaz.

Anyway, it was very easy to hack into the commentary-easy for us even with no technical skills-so we would have text like “Martinez tw@ts the ball over the bar” or “Martinez hits a shot right out of the ground”. All very schoolboy-ish, although I was over 30 at the time 😳

Hi that's brilliant.

Can you remember the old days of - "d1cks goes in hard on butt" 

"D1cks shoots, seaman spills in the area"

Glorious commentary 

Edited by Nexus_Canary
  • Haha 1

I've just got a copy of football manager touch for the switch. It's supposedly a more basic version of the full game. I think you can get it on phones as well. Expect a review early next week. I'm not daring to play it till Saturday as I have stuff I need to do!

20 hours ago, Nexus_Canary said:

Took the job at Swansea uni 😂

Amateur team in Welsh lower leagues. 🤣

Oh god I did that one year with Cardiff Uni did ok for a couple of years then realised they could never become even semi pro, taking a team of amateurs into Europe is...an experience 😂

Edited by robertociNCFC

Might have to take the plunge as my latest FM20 save isn’t going too well. Is the National North and South still the lowest level available in England without a custom database?

Just now, Mr Angry said:

Might have to take the plunge as my latest FM20 save isn’t going too well. Is the National North and South still the lowest level available in England without a custom database?

It is, yeah.

43 minutes ago, robertociNCFC said:

Oh god I did that one year with Cardiff Uni did ok for a couple of years then realised they could never become even semi pro, taking a team of amateurs into Europe is...an experience 😂

Yeh I plan on getting them up into the Welsh prem then moving onto Scotland. Once I've worked up one or two Scottish tiers not interested in prem I'm going to look for a tasty job in the English bs north / south and then make the push for the prem.

Want to mess about in Wales / Scotland for roughly 3-6 seasons before cracking England.

Also allows a few newgens to come in and some rises and falls within the English leagues.

Started unemployed  zero badges and xp as well so thanks to whoever suggested that in here. 

Edited by Nexus_Canary

13 minutes ago, Mr Angry said:

Give it a month tops and Dan will add leagues 7-8.

He made it down to 14 tier in fm22

It was time to quit when I put a suit on for the fa cup final and had started shaking hands with the door handle after matches.

• Like 1