KeiranShikari

Football Manager 2023

3 hours ago, By Hook or Ian crook said:

I used to do the same with Cambridge but they have come on a bit now. 

1 hour ago, Nexus_Canary said:

Funny you should say that they were my old go to team, I had them winning Europe back in something like 99/00 or even earlier.

But yeh they are too good now, same as king's Lynn...

I'm actually quite excited about a Welsh/English/Irish/Scottish unemployed start and trying to push up the league's until I can make the prem.

So I will probably go with that, might even put England back In the EU.

I always go for an LLM save, and I had a really enjoyable one with Cambridge on FM20 during the first lockdown. League Two to Premier League champions in 12 seasons.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, By Hook or Ian crook said:

I find the interface of the newer games to be a bit too complicated now. It’s difficult with the generic answers to man management questions that I feel should either be more nuanced or disposed of. 

Yeh some of the questions are stupid as well like in FM22.

Journo: "Do you think player X is integral to your style of play"

Me:  "Err hes on trial"

Journo : "Player X is a real locker room leader will you be looking to making him a central part of your plans"

Me: "Errr... I put him on the unwanted list and hes up for a free....."

The main thing I'd like them to add to the game is more control over ground improvements. Anyone remember premier manager from the early 90s? I loved the fact I could click on the stadium page and upgrade the floodlights, add a scoreboard, convert terraces to seats. Stuff like that. And also choose which sponsors you wanted round the ground.

Yes I know. Its not strictly in the managers remit and the games are getting overcomplicated as it is. It would still be less frustrating than asking the board every summer for ground improvements and get told money isn't available. 

I also like that you had to start in the conference and work your way up. Something I still generally do on football manager to this day, as a few of you do judging by this thread! I usually start as Barnet as a mate's a fan and I can pester him for info! 

Started the zero badges Sunday league unemploymed challenge. (Now know what it feels like to be a Liverpool fan)

Went with all British and Irish leagues loaded at all tiers and offered a job 2 days in at a Welsh team in the 2nd tier. Triflin or something. 2 guys hogging 800 of the 1.9 wage both too good to be offloaded as well. No right back but a very good goalie. 

Let's kick off then 😁😁

On a side note we should try to keep a fm23 thread going In here.

9 minutes ago, Nexus_Canary said:

Started the zero badges Sunday league unemploymed challenge. (Now know what it feels like to be a Liverpool fan)

Went with all British and Irish leagues loaded at all tiers and offered a job 2 days in at a Welsh team in the 2nd tier. Triflin or something. 2 guys hogging 800 of the 1.9 wage both too good to be offloaded as well. No right back but a very good goalie. 

Let's kick off then 😁😁

On a side note we should try to keep a fm23 thread going In here.

Just a warning. it's not ideal to start a 'long term' save if you're on fm23. It's still in it's beta phase for a couple of weeks and some bugs won't be able to be fixed without starting a new save.

You might have mentioned sticking around on 22 though, I can't remember.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, KeiranShikari said:

Just a warning. it's not ideal to start a 'long term' save if you're on fm23. It's still in it's beta phase for a couple of weeks and some bugs won't be able to be fixed without starting a new save.

You might have mentioned sticking around on 22 though, I can't remember.

Yeh all good this is a trial game, but thanks for the heads up anyways 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, KeiranShikari said:

This is one of two reasons why I haven't actually bought the FM until a month or two after release for a few years now. The first big patch usually comes out three or four weeks after the official release, so I generally wait for that. 

The other reason is that I always like to reach a natural conclusion of my save from the previous version, although that seems to be happening right now anyway...

On 25/10/2022 at 20:27, By Hook or Ian crook said:

I find the interface of the newer games to be a bit too complicated now. It’s difficult with the generic answers to man management questions that I feel should either be more nuanced or disposed of. 

This, I miss the simplicity of just doing tactics, transfers and game management. Far too time consuming these days

• Like 1

On 25/10/2022 at 23:37, The Raptor said:

The main thing I'd like them to add to the game is more control over ground improvements. Anyone remember premier manager from the early 90s? I loved the fact I could click on the stadium page and upgrade the floodlights, add a scoreboard, convert terraces to seats. Stuff like that. And also choose which sponsors you wanted round the ground.

Yes I know. Its not strictly in the managers remit and the games are getting overcomplicated as it is. It would still be less frustrating than asking the board every summer for ground improvements and get told money isn't available. 

I also like that you had to start in the conference and work your way up. Something I still generally do on football manager to this day, as a few of you do judging by this thread! I usually start as Barnet as a mate's a fan and I can pester him for info! 

You could do all that in LMA manager too, quality game. 

LMA on the ps2 is what got me into management sims. I know SI are going for something different but some of the club development aspects in LMA were really cool.

Owch, 

So Championship manager 92/93 was what started this addiction.....

Obs CM transitioned into Football Manager, but I did play a bit of the original Football Manager on the ZX Spectrum circa 1980 something. 

12 hours ago, Nexus_Canary said:

Owch, 

Obs CM transitioned into Football Manager, but I did play a bit of the original Football Manager on the ZX Spectrum circa 1980 something. 

Do you remember a game called On The Bench on the Spectrum? And of course Tracksuit Manager. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Nexus_Canary said:

Owch, 

i remember a Game called Striker on Spectrum you started in 4th div 

all you had to do was score goals and then offers came in to work up leagues and abroad 

• Like 1

I remember both track suit manager and striker both of those were great, can't seem to remember tracksuit manager.

Lol Paul gascgoignes soccer was terrible. It would swap view when you moved in on the goal so one minute your running down then your running up 🤣

Furthest back I go with football games is Sega Soccer on the megadrive. The sound effects/soundtrack of that game will be burnt into my memory for the rest of time.

How have you all enjoyed the beta? I've really liked the changes they've made to the match engine,  It feels so much more intuitive. My only real complaint (other than set pieces are untouched yet again) is the amount of long shots that get attempted seems off. Hopefully that's something that will be tweaks.

Edited by KeiranShikari

I dont get the new game each time it comes out. I had 2010, 2016, 2020 and 2022. 

Wont be getting 2023 as plenty of life in the current game.

I conventionally dont like skins, but the Zealand skin is excellent, and I play with that. Also the Stadium, Face and Kit packs from FM base and Sortitout SI massively enhance the game if you dont do that.

And Zealand's AI NewGan Manager programme/facepack is simply unbelieveable

8 hours ago, KeiranShikari said:

Furthest back I go with football games is Sega Soccer on the megadrive. The sound effects/soundtrack of that game will be burnt into my memory for the rest of time.

How have you all enjoyed the beta? I've really liked the changes they've made to the match engine,  It feels so much more intuitive. My only real complaint (other than set pieces are untouched yet again) is the amount of long shots that get attempted seems off. Hopefully that's something that will be tweaks.

My first footballing game loves were 'European Club Soccer' - not a great game but great feel (music etc) and Sensible Soccer. To this day the best (if not realistic) gameplay of any football game I have ever played. Oh the hours spent editing teams... Totally get your point about the music being burnt into your soul

On 29/10/2022 at 00:11, Nexus_Canary said:

Owch, 

My ex GF's little brother introduced me to it when I was 18. Championship Manager 2 and then Championship Manager 3 - and the addiction began

Im playing as Sevilla on FM22 at the moment. My First XI, B, C and U19 sides are almost exclusively Wonderkids. Im still a bit behind Barcelona and Real Madrid's level, cant quite seem to crack that yet, but maybe when my youth policy starts to pay dividends  🙂  I took the Sevilla job after a successful stint at Cesena.

I have so many team fondnesses following saves. Yet strangely some teams you can never gain affection for. I had stints managing Millwall, Birmingham and Aston Villa in a different save and it didnt stop me disliking them.

One of my favourite saves has been Bilbao - I greatly admire their policies and it's a challenging game.

One of my favourite games ever was in CM3 when Crystal Palace were bankrupt. You couldnt reject a transfer bid for any of your players or set what they were worth so the constricts made the game a real challenge

1 minute ago, The Great Mass Debater said:

I dont get the new game each time it comes out. I had 2010, 2016, 2020 and 2022. 

Wont be getting 2023 as plenty of life in the current game.

I conventionally dont like skins, but the Zealand skin is excellent, and I play with that. Also the Stadium, Face and Kit packs from FM base and Sortitout SI massively enhance the game if you dont do that.

And Zealand's AI NewGan Manager programme/facepack is simply unbelieveable

I'm the same- the changes from year to year are often so minimal that I often skip a year or two and based on the general reactions to this version I think I'll stick to 22 for now. 

My biggest soft spot for a managerial game goes to Ultimate Soccer Manager 98-99, I loved that you could adjust everything all the way down to the price of hot dogs! 

It also had voiced commentating during the match which would shout out some players names during the game, even some Norwich players were in there, its how Fuglestad has been burned into my memory after all these years.

ultimate-soccer-manager-98-99_2 (1).jpg

3 minutes ago, king canary said:

I'm the same- the changes from year to year are often so minimal that I often skip a year or two and based on the general reactions to this version I think I'll stick to 22 for now. 

Imagine a lot will be in that boat this year, especially if they're enjoying a save in 22. For me the match engine update is worth it alone but in true SI fashion the rest of the new features are very much half baked. 

5 hours ago, robertociNCFC said:

My biggest soft spot for a managerial game goes to Ultimate Soccer Manager 98-99, I loved that you could adjust everything all the way down to the price of hot dogs! 

It also had voiced commentating during the match which would shout out some players names during the game, even some Norwich players were in there, its how Fuglestad has been burned into my memory after all these years.

ultimate-soccer-manager-98-99_2 (1).jpg

That looks so cool! They should bring it back as a mobile phone app. I had an app called something like Retro Football which was very reminiscent of old Championship Manager

5 hours ago, KeiranShikari said:

Imagine a lot will be in that boat this year, especially if they're enjoying a save in 22. For me the match engine update is worth it alone but in true SI fashion the rest of the new features are very much half baked. 

Match engine has never been right. Even now your players make inexplicable mistakes leading to goals you dont see the opposition make and worldies only ever seem to get scored against you, never for you.

My players with 20 for long shots seem never to shoot from distance or score. Apart from one player https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ahmed_Barusso on a previous version who spanked it in all the time. Think I got him on a free as well. Into the hall of legends son alongside Tonton Zola Moukoko and Cherno Samba!

Just now, The Great Mass Debater said:

Into the hall of legends son alongside Tonton Zola Moukoko and Cherno Samba!

That is high praise indeed! I'll check him out.

52 minutes ago, The Raptor said:

That is high praise indeed! I'll check him out.

If you want a good striker on FM22, in my current save I've had perhaps the best striker I've ever had. Scored 30+ goals a season in Serie C (or whatever the equivalent is called now), Serie B and a decent return in Serie A. Bit like Holty's record

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/mattia-bortolussi/profil/spieler/269870