KeiranShikari

Football Manager 2023

Beta came out the other day. Anyone playing it?

I found the 'Smith has departed Norwich City' message when I took over pretty cathartic. 

• Haha 1

Looks like fun, I still love the rags to riches. I can never really get into over seas leagues either. All about Lowestoft Town 🙂

CANARIES AROUND THE WORLD

STVV is not the only team in the world known as the Canaries. We now know that 24 other clubs have the same nickname. The list of Canaries:

1.Norwich City FC, England

Norwich City FC was founded in 1902. The home of the Canaries is Carrow Road. The club is currently in the English Championship. In their history, they were allowed to fire the League Cup twice. Well-known Belgian ex-players are Vadis Odjidja-Ofoe and Ritchie De Laet.

Jesus. thats a couple of names who dont sit in our record books! Still remember De Laets giving away a peno on his debut which could only be described as a muai thai elbow strike 😄
And Odjida-Ofoe was god awful

I'm enjoying an Fm22 save so wont be getting Fm23 yet. 

I'm not Norwich in my save.

I did a year at QPR, took them to 3rd but then my chairman slashed my wage budget at the end of the season. 

I avoided the sell off by moving to Stoke, then won the league with them, pinched a couple from QPR after moving. 

Now need to try and establish Stoke in the top tier. 

I couldn't get into fm22. I got bogged down playing In tier 12 in the end but found that low level players will join. I had a team of beasts at about level 8 but it became a slog, amateur contracts etc.

Spend a season being shrewd gaining a huge 3k I'm the bank only to have my chairman spam 1k offering my **** man a training certificate. Dude must have been with his daughter as he was on an amateur contract. Grrrrr

Purposefully stepped away from FM until that ll update so will prob play late November.

Think the guy who does the updates is called Dan and he's pretty on it in the modding community 

Edited by Nexus_Canary

I've played a little bit of the beta so far as Norwich but don't really get started until the full release which is when I'll start my unemployment challenge (in game not in real life 😁) with zero badges or experience, I do it every year and it's the only save I do, super rewarding.

I'm still on FM 21. Started at kings Lynn. Got them up into league 2 - moved to Plymouth, got them to the championship, took over a relegated Newcastle... Now sit 5th in my 3rd year back in the premier league, think I've taken them as far as I can now though. 

Edited by GodlyOtsemobor

That reminds me. I need to start a new game with the lower leagues. Last time I only managed to get Ipswich relegated to the conference as that was the lowest I'd set it. To get them in a lower league than Lowestoft would be hilarious 

11 minutes ago, Nexus_Canary said:

Lowestoft are in tier 8 there is a league update that takes it all the way down to 14.

Wow I didn't realise it went that low!

Gotta make Mulbarton a league club now. As for Ipswich. I'll probably get to keano 100 taking them that low

1 hour ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

Playing it - hardly seems different to the last one. So if you are thinking about it - I would stick 

Only big upgrade I've noticed is the ability to play a more defensive brand of football. I also quite like how the midfields are much more chaotic, feels more like football than ice hockey. 

Scouting seems like a sideways step. Squad planner is cool but it's only replacing the need to have an excel document open.

7 minutes ago, The Raptor said:

Wow I didn't realise it went that low!

Gotta make Mulbarton a league club now. As for Ipswich. I'll probably get to keano 100 taking them that low

There is a guy called Dan, easily found if you put Dan's lower league into Google who makes the updates.

I have played as Waveny but it can go lower. I had a great season as the UEA but then realised the have a promotion threshold 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Nexus_Canary said:

There is a guy called Dan, easily found if you put Dan's lower league into Google who makes the updates.

I have played as Waveny but it can go lower. I had a great season as the UEA but then realised the have a promotion threshold 

Is my assumption correct that Brexit has made those type of saves significantly harder?

7 minutes ago, KeiranShikari said:

Is my assumption correct that Brexit has made those type of saves significantly harder?

Well so many free players out there it's not that bad, you just have to be super careful signing players I had to save scum as I offered a contract to a Dutch lad, it charged me 20k just to offer a contact before a work permit was even considered. When my entire balance is 1k it's a game breaker.

Anyone else think that Todd's picture in game makes him look like a convict / drug addict.

That little ratty beard really does not go with the lank looking hair 

On 22/10/2022 at 22:08, KeiranShikari said:

That's fair.

For my main game I'm going to be doing a 'journeyman' where I only take clubs nicknamed 'the canaries' or something along those lines. Plenty to choose from. 

https://www.stvv.com/en/news/first-team/canaries-around-the-world

We must have a summer football tournament from that list for the Canary Cup! 

If you ever need pointers or help worth checking out the youtuber - Zeeland. For a yank he really gets football and understands FM. Plus he plays as very random teams rather than big boys making him pretty interesting 

On 23/10/2022 at 16:05, KeiranShikari said:

Only big upgrade I've noticed is the ability to play a more defensive brand of football. I also quite like how the midfields are much more chaotic, feels more like football than ice hockey. 

Scouting seems like a sideways step. Squad planner is cool but it's only replacing the need to have an excel document open.

I like the fan breakdown so you can see percentage of fans like hardcore fans / fairweather / corporate etc.

Will be nice to see that change and adapt as you grow 

On 23/10/2022 at 12:44, robertociNCFC said:

I've played a little bit of the beta so far as Norwich but don't really get started until the full release which is when I'll start my unemployment challenge (in game not in real life 😁) with zero badges or experience, I do it every year and it's the only save I do, super rewarding.

How long does it normally take to get your first job?

That sounds good, bit jaded with Lowestoft 

54 minutes ago, Nexus_Canary said:

How long does it normally take to get your first job?

That sounds good, bit jaded with Lowestoft 

Not very long as I have every Country and League loaded, this year I started in the Welsh 2nd Division which was quite a challenge!

You won't need to add databases, the devs know it's a save that people like so even if it's a little unrealistic for a man with no badges or experience to get a job as a football manager you can. Will likely be at a 0.5 star rep club in Malaysia or something.

Those sort of saves are always fun. I like seeing how many languages I can have my guy pick up fully knowing the irony in the amount of time I spent playing that I could speak some of those languages in real life.

I don't really like starting near the top so when I  do fancy doing a Norwich save I tend to self impose a transfer ban and only focus on youth development.

I found out about the lower league database by accident when I was Googling a real player who is the son of a friend of ours.

Someone did a blog about his save as Keymer and Hassocks-they were the only playable team in Level 23.

I played 12 seasons and got them to the Southern Combination League Division 2, which is Level 11. This was the level at which you have to give players contracts though and I couldn’t afford a whole squad-or even a team-so I gave it up.

1 hour ago, By Hook or Ian crook said:

I used to do the same with Cambridge but they have come on a bit now. 

Funny you should say that they were my old go to team, I had them winning Europe back in something like 99/00 or even earlier.

But yeh they are too good now, same as king's Lynn...

I'm actually quite excited about a Welsh/English/Irish/Scottish unemployed start and trying to push up the league's until I can make the prem.

So I will probably go with that, might even put England back In the EU.

On 23/10/2022 at 14:07, GodlyOtsemobor said:

I'm still on FM 21. Started at kings Lynn. Got them up into league 2 - moved to Plymouth, got them to the championship, took over a relegated Newcastle... Now sit 5th in my 3rd year back in the premier league, think I've taken them as far as I can now though. 

Update! I've left Newcastle after a downward slide into 6th, I am now in charge of 7th place Spurs 🤣 but we will finish top 4!!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nexus_Canary said:

Funny you should say that they were my old go to team, I had them winning Europe back in something like 99/00 or even earlier.

But yeh they are too good now, same as king's Lynn...

I'm actually quite excited about a Welsh/English/Irish/Scottish unemployed start and trying to push up the league's until I can make the prem.

So I will probably go with that, might even put England back In the EU.

I find the interface of the newer games to be a bit too complicated now. It’s difficult with the generic answers to man management questions that I feel should either be more nuanced or disposed of.