Sign in to follow this  
KeiranShikari

A really good breakdown from Michael Bailey

11 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

Absolutely not Jimbo. The split first occurred when Russ was right back and half the fans wanted Spillane at right back. Later came the right back / centre back split. Some players seem destined to split the fans so Lakey has a valid point, Russ as manager probably would split the fans.

I think any new manager would split fans if they come in on a downward trajectory. Lambert came when we were rock bottom so he could do no wrong. Farke came after a failure to be promoted so didn't have to meet such high expectations at the outset.

If Smith falls to get us promoted then his successor will get a much easier ride if he fails, just as Farke did succeeding Neil.

14 hours ago, Ian said:

It all started when Hanley booted Sharp on the floor for no apparent reason, up until that point we had kept the crowd pretty quiet.

The ref had a hand in that. Sharp was effectively sitting on the ball (well, his body was on it) and appealing for a foul, the ref said to play on... you can't play on with the ball in that position as there is no safe way for an opposition player to play it and you equally can't expect them to just let an oppo player get up to then play the ball. I have seen this given as obstruction before. Hanley should have been more intelligent about it but the ref really didn't handle the game well at all yesterday.

So far as I am aware, if you raise a hand to another players face it's a straight red. Sharp shoved Gianoulis with two hands. That's a straight red. Not to mention other penalty appeals in the 1st and 2nd half.

That's not why we lost the lead, but if you want to start pointing the finger at what became a scrappy, bitter game, then the ref gets the blame for that IMHO. You would have thought after their previous fixture, refs may have been a bit more prepared for their utterly crappy antics. 

Edited by chicken
Only missed out words that make a huge difference.

8 hours ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

I think any new manager would split fans if they come in on a downward trajectory. Lambert came when we were rock bottom so he could do no wrong. Farke came after a failure to be promoted so didn't have to meet such high expectations at the outset.

If Smith falls to get us promoted then his successor will get a much easier ride if he fails, just as Farke did succeeding Neil.

I'm not sure it's so easy with Russ. He has said publicly on a number of occasions that the targeting of some very negative and nasty attention in his time here was difficult for him to take. He felt it disrespectful and unfair considering the loyalty he gave to the club and the fact that for several seasons he was superb for us, 'the Norfolk Cafu'.

The issue I can see is that the same people would come back to criticise him again and at that point, he might just feel the same. I'm not sure he would want this job - yet. He's doing well with Swansea, at the moment they are in as strong a position as us and he has them playing the way he wants them to play. Who knows where he could be come the end of the season. Even if they are in the play-offs with a shout of promotion, teams in the prem will be watching him.

He's building his reputation as a manager, and coming back to an old club, especially one in our current predicament, could be a gamble. A lot of emotion involved and perhaps he just doesn't need it? Could be the difference between making it as a decent top championship/lower premier league manager and a bang average championship manager who dips to league one to bring a club back up. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, chicken said:

That's not why we lost

We didn't actually lose, though it really felt like it.

5 minutes ago, Petriix said:

We didn't actually lose, though it really felt like it.

😅

Ahem... brain fart moment... "that's not why we lost the lead". That'll teach me for posting before my morning coffee.

9 hours ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

I always think this is the main issue with Smith. Following the most popular manager for at least a good decade was going to be a massive ask in itself.

He’s then asked to bake a cake in the PL with the same **** ingredients and no money to go shopping and the result is unsurprisingly failure.

Another painful relegation and this time a manager in charge with no previous credit in the bank.

We needed to massively over perform this year, during a relegation hangover, much needed transition of key personnel and a change of style.

Smith took on a total poisoned chalice, he still took it on, his choice. The chances of him being successful here seemed and continue to seem low for me, regardless of the legitimate concerns around his actual ability.

3 minutes ago, Monty13 said:

I always think this is the main issue with Smith. Following the most popular manager for at least a good decade was going to be a massive ask in itself.

He’s then asked to bake a cake in the PL with the same **** ingredients and no money to go shopping and the result is unsurprisingly failure.

Another painful relegation and this time a manager in charge with no previous credit in the bank.

We needed to massively over perform this year, during a relegation hangover, much needed transition of key personnel and a change of style.

Smith took on a total poisoned chalice, he still took it on, his choice. The chances of him being successful here seemed and continue to seem low for me, regardless of the legitimate concerns around his actual ability.

Without this one sentence this was a good post. 

There is no legitimate concern about his ability; he is the most accomplished manager we've ever had in my time following the club. What there is, is unfair grievances against him based on everything else you've pointed out. 

Edited by littleyellowbirdie
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

Without this one sentence this was a good post. 

There is no legitimate concern about his ability; he is the most accomplished manager we've ever had in my time following the club. What there is, is unfair grievances against him based on everything else you've pointed out. 

Everyone is free to have concerns that he hasn’t done enough to address. That doesn’t make him a bad manager, no manager is faultless.  However his job is to address them on the pitch through results and performances. 

The weight of concern may be unfair, that doesn’t mean where the concern is coming from is completely misplaced.

I’d also suggest the fact the vast majority of ire is being placed at the managers door is the other unfair element.

• Like 1