Sign in to follow this  
Midlands Yellow

Christoph Zimmerman

What kind of quality do we assume that the Bundesliga 2 is the equivalent of? League one maybe? Happy to hear his career is doing well mind you. Very much a big succses story to go from the German 4th and 3rd divison to the Championship with us and to playing in the Prem too. Aways seemed a nice guy too.

14 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

What kind of quality do we assume that the Bundesliga 2 is the equivalent of? League one maybe? Happy to hear his career is doing well mind you. Very much a big succses story to go from the German 4th and 3rd divison to the Championship with us and to playing in the Prem too. Aways seemed a nice guy too.

Better than league one, not quite Championship level. 

• Like 1

Looks to have played in most of their games so seems to be back to decent fitness.

I'm not sure he was much behind Gibson in terms of capability tbh.

2 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

Looks to have played in most of their games so seems to be back to decent fitness.

I'm not sure he was much behind Gibson in terms of capability tbh.

You wouldn’t know which one cost £8m. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Zimmermann is also really smart, apparently. There's a YouTube series in which two of our players answer questions about their team-mates and they all instantly choose Zimbo as the most intelligent member of the squad.

If you haven't seen them, this series is great fun. A bit sad, though, because it does suggest there was once a togetherness among the squad that seemed to disappear last season with all the changes to personnel.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, canarybubbles said:

Zimmermann is also really smart, apparently. There's a YouTube series in which two of our players answer questions about their team-mates and they all instantly choose Zimbo as the most intelligent member of the squad.

If you haven't seen them, this series is great fun. A bit sad, though, because it does suggest there was once a togetherness among the squad that seemed to disappear last season with all the changes to personnel.

Yes Zimmermann’s intelligence was way above the average NCFC player 

Was it Wenger that asked Farke where he unearthed him from after a crazily good display against Arsenal ?

Zimbo was a quality defender at his best for us  with physicality, aggression and intelligence.  Not the best on the ball and never quite came back from that injury, but at certainly at least Championship quality and signed for peanuts.  I"m not sure that Hanley for example is much of an upgrade on peak Zimmerman and I suspect he'll make a decent coach if he wants to follow that path.

5 hours ago, daly said:

Wasn't he considering giving up football to become a teacher before Farke signed him ?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, daly said:

It is/was presumably that of a secondary school teacher, since that was the career route he was considering before the opportunity at Norwich came up. Teacher > footballer is hardly rocket science.

Edited by Nuff Said

5 hours ago, Nuff Said said:

It is/was presumably that of a secondary school teacher, since that was the career route he was considering before the opportunity at Norwich came up. Teacher > footballer is hardly rocket science.

Doesn't tell us too much to be fair, intelligence of teachers can vary wildly can't it, and some subjects are much harder than others. 

Alex Ferguson mentioned Brian McClair as being a brainiac. I vaguely recall Fergie ringing him as a phone-a-friend on Who Wants To Be a Millionaire. 

6 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Doesn't tell us too much to be fair, intelligence of teachers can vary wildly can't it, and some subjects are much harder than others. 

Yikes.

I would say secondary school is a bit different. You are working with teenagers, if you don't have cool, calm and your wits about you, you'll get torn to strips. You also tend to be teaching GCSE/A-Level level for a subject.

In my 15-16yrs working with teenagers, I have met some teachers that may not be the best teachers, don't think I can remember one that I would suggest is stupid though. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chicken said:

Yikes.

I would say secondary school is a bit different. You are working with teenagers, if you don't have cool, calm and your wits about you, you'll get torn to strips. You also tend to be teaching GCSE/A-Level level for a subject.

In my 15-16yrs working with teenagers, I have met some teachers that may not be the best teachers, don't think I can remember one that I would suggest is stupid though. 

I never used the word "stupid", that was introduced to the conversation by you.

But you have to be a STEM degree to teach science or mathematics, two of my three science teachers had a PhD. 

I would humbly suggest that some other topics have a lower barrier to entry, in the sense that the respective relevant degrees are less difficult to obtain. 

Let's face it, its much more difficult to recruit and retain a mathematics teacher than a PE teacher. It just is.

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

6 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Right, but you have to be a STEM degree to teach science or mathematics, two of my three science teachers had a PhD. 

I would humbly suggest that some other topics have a lower barrier to entry, in the sense that the respective relevant degrees are less difficult to obtain. 

Let's face it, its much more difficult to recruit and retain a mathematics teacher than a PE teacher.

Are we sure that he was going to be a PE teacher?

Anyway, PE isn't just running around on a dodgy grass pitch anymore. There is a sports science aspect to it.

That said, I happen to know people who have had reason to work for Zimbo in their day jobs and all have said he is intelligent, well grounded, realistic and at times, even expressed frustration at the attitude of some footballers to their profession and not fully being respectful of the blessing of a career it is.

Edit: Also, intelligence isn't measured by subjects, degrees or doctorates. I've known people with all, and people with none. Some with masters/phd's etc struggle in areas of life others don't. It's not enough to be great at a subject to be a teacher.

Difficulty is also hugely arguable. Certainly not difficult to apply to, if anything, STEM subjects are easier to get a place on degrees for because there is a need of more people to be pushing for careers in those areas. As you point out, this is why finding teachers with those degrees can be difficult to recruit. 

Edited by chicken

12 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

You do pick some odd battles. 

On 21/10/2022 at 18:47, daly said:

I don’t know much about the relative intelligence of the current squad, but I believe that when we had Lafferty he would have been hard pressed to win an IQ battle with an amoeba.