Sign in to follow this  
Myra Hawtree

Farke's First Season

2 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

If Farke does well at Borussia Munchengladbah, his next stop will be a Man City or other top club.

Could be Dortmund again, but for the first team instead of the second. My point was that with the different structure, a return of Farke might not be a bad thing as it doesn't necessarily have to be manager, and it was said in that Athletic interview some years ago that being a DoF was initially his aim.

8 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Yes, and even though we have slightly different views on that time the re-writing is amazing.

There's so many people who said they could see what Farke was trying to do. Yet when I explained what I thought he was trying to do back then, I was called a happy clapper 🙂

Such was the displeasure towards Farke's first season, Webber came out and told fans to support another club 🙂

For me, the second half of the season at home was greatly improved and the football was pretty good. However, plenty at the time refused to acknowledge that as they'd already made up their mind.

Have you ever considered that you are just a happy clapper 😂 every club has a mix of type of fans, as documented very well in the welcome to Wrexham show. There’s no harm in supporting the team no matter what, I think we all do that just we disagree philosophically over what the best thing to do would be. 

1 minute ago, By Hook or Ian crook said:

Have you ever considered that you are just a happy clapper 😂 every club has a mix of type of fans, as documented very well in the welcome to Wrexham show. There’s no harm in supporting the team no matter what, I think we all do that just we disagree philosophically over what the best thing to do would be. 

Yes 🙂  But I was vocal on not wanting Farke sacked, I was delighted for Hughton to be sacked, as for Dean Smith all i've said to date is I don't know how good he's going to be for us but deserves time. Unfortunately the team performances are going backwards so that time is likely to be drastically reduced. 

What we shouldn't do is rewrite history though. I defended Farke in the first season and got abuse for it. I defended Vrancic when he first played and got abuse for it. Whereas for example Sinani, I see an absolute nothing player. It ain't all happy clappin' it's just seeing what you see.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Yes 🙂  But I was vocal on not wanting Farke sacked, I was delighted for Hughton to be sacked, as for Dean Smith all i've said to date is I don't know how good he's going to be for us but deserves time. Unfortunately the team performances are going backwards so that time is likely to be drastically reduced. 

What we shouldn't do is rewrite history though. I defended Farke in the first season and got abuse for it. I defended Vrancic when he first played and got abuse for it. Whereas for example Sinani, I see an absolute nothing player. It ain't all happy clappin' it's just seeing what you see.

We all see things differently and that should be a good thing in my book. Too often we are told that differences in life these days mean we can’t be friends or have common goals, I blame the political situation for that but tolerance of other peoples options no matter if agreed or not should be encouraged right now. 

4 minutes ago, By Hook or Ian crook said:

We all see things differently and that should be a good thing in my book. Too often we are told that differences in life these days mean we can’t be friends or have common goals, I blame the political situation for that but tolerance of other peoples options no matter if agreed or not should be encouraged right now. 

I concur, which is why I made a point of noting the abuse I got for defending Farke in the first place. Of course, that proved to be the right call anyway. I wanted Alex Neil to get more time too though, and perhaps that wouldn't have worked out so well (although in saying that, his career hasn't been bad after us). 🙂

24 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Totally agree, I accepted Farke had to go, I wouldn’t have sacked him after starting to get some results, his first season here was a pig, he did come with a set plan and I think most of us could see what it was. He got the time he deserved. Smith has been here nearly a year soon, and the reality is we’re not seeing much improvement in players, system of performance, yes credit for stringing a run of wins lest month, but the fragility of this squad and coaches is very noticeable.

36 minutes ago, Indy said:

Totally agree, I accepted Farke had to go, I wouldn’t have sacked him after starting to get some results, his first season here was a pig, he did come with a set plan and I think most of us could see what it was. He got the time he deserved. Smith has been here nearly a year soon, and the reality is we’re not seeing much improvement in players, system of performance, yes credit for stringing a run of wins lest month, but the fragility of this squad and coaches is very noticeable.

Yeah, the main problem for me is the last few performances bar a 20 minute spell against Preston have actually gone backwards from where we were during the unbeaten run. That's the biggest concern I have, as we weren't at great performance levels beforehand (I don't think they were as bad as some made out but still). 

• Like 1

If you have been around this place for long enough you will see different posters have different tolerance. So obviously the same posters are first or last to want sackings. Just like different fans go to games for different reasons. But ultimately they are all the same family and you can see this at it's best on Rays Funds where the differences are forgotten with our team of PUPs united as one.

Edited by nutty nigel
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Indy said:

That’s funny, with Buendia Smith only lasted 11 games! Maybe Farke actually got more out of the players than we give him credit for, Buendia under Smith & Gerrard hasn’t developed nor really held his place, Pukki under Smith looks a shadow and the rest look pretty ordinary too, Aarons etc.

Maybe Farke did struggle in his second premier campaign, he made a change in his tactics which didn’t work and he was sacked, but lose 5 on the bounce at the level and I can’t remember Farke losing five in a row at this level with a far worse squad! Pressure on the next two games on Smith!

That was in the premier league. 

Farke struggled in both his premier league campaigns. 

I enjoyed Farke’s first season, ups and downs, good and bad, a proper season, one could see evolution. Some special moments, Klose v Gippeswyk 

36 minutes ago, non-scoring strikers said:

That was in the premier league. 

Farke struggled in both his premier league campaigns. 

Really can I suggest you look further up this thread!

wheres my rebate gone? 

•  
  • Members
  • 173 posts
   9 hours ago,  A Load of Squit said: 

None of them.

Hang on, I thought this was the case, Looks like Farke then!

Buendía created 29 chances for his teammates. This is the most chances created by a player in a single month in the Premier League since the stat began to be recorded in 2003–04.

Edited by Indy

13 hours ago, Indy said:

Really can I suggest you look further up this thread!

wheres my rebate gone? 

•  
  • Members
  • 173 posts
   9 hours ago,  A Load of Squit said: 

None of them.

Hang on, I thought this was the case, Looks like Farke then!

Buendía created 29 chances for his teammates. This is the most chances created by a player in a single month in the Premier League since the stat began to be recorded in 2003–04.

Wow, a whole month, pity we didn't fit all 38 games into that one month we'd be Champions League regulars.

35 minutes ago, A Load of Squit said:

Wow, a whole month, pity we didn't fit all 38 games into that one month we'd be Champions League regulars.

No but there’s a fair chance Farke might be managing in European cup competition next year! Smith will likely be unemployed!

But this backs up the Farke got more out of Buendia than either Gerrard or Smith.

1 minute ago, Indy said:

No but there’s a fair chance Farke might be managing in European cup competition next year! Smith will likely be unemployed!

But this backs up the Farke got more out of Buendia than either Gerrard or Smith.

No, it shows that you've selected one months worth of data to try and prove a point. Stop being so desperate.

4 minutes ago, A Load of Squit said:

No, it shows that you've selected one months worth of data to try and prove a point. Stop being so desperate.

No it proves that Farke had Buendia, got him playing at a level which sold him for close to £40 million and the rest have failed with him, but your too blinkered to see that. Regardless of which division Buendia played better under Farke than he has under Gerrard or Smith.

6 minutes ago, Indy said:

No it proves that Farke had Buendia, got him playing at a level which sold him for close to £40 million and the rest have failed with him, but your too blinkered to see that. Regardless of which division Buendia played better under Farke than he has under Gerrard or Smith.

Farke was forced to play Buendia, the other two had a choice.

The only division Buendia has played for all three managers in the Premier League, he struggled for all 3 managers in the Premier League.

Once again your desperation has made you introduce a metric that doesn't make sense, comparing performances between the Championship and the Premier League is like comparing apples and oranges.  

I've noted recently that there is a similarity, in particular in how we set the team out.

Farke initially played a 4-1-4-1 with Harrison Reed as the cm. A lot of matches were a bit of a slog- with the occasional battering- and it wasn't until Farke seemingly realised you can't surrender the centre mid like that in England that we got any traction. 

I feel Smith is currently in the same sort of space. The 4-3-3 doesn't end up much different to 4-1-4-1 as Gibbs aside there are no defensively disciplined players in the midfield (and even he doesn't think of himself as defensive). Games become a roulette of we-attack, you-attack which is a shootout at best, and I think whether or not Smith gets us going depends on finding a way to control matches. A lot of our players will look considerably better if they aren't forced into playing a ding-dong running race battle.

12 minutes ago, A Load of Squit said:

Farke was forced to play Buendia, the other two had a choice.

The only division Buendia has played for all three managers in the Premier League, he struggled for all 3 managers in the Premier League.

Once again your desperation has made you introduce a metric that doesn't make sense, comparing performances between the Championship and the Premier League is like comparing apples and oranges.  

Yes he struggled so much he was bought for £38 million……by Smith.

I can’t be arsed to keep it going you’re opinion is yours and that’s great👍

5 minutes ago, Mason 47 said:

I've noted recently that there is a similarity, in particular in how we set the team out.

Farke initially played a 4-1-4-1 with Harrison Reed as the cm. A lot of matches were a bit of a slog- with the occasional battering- and it wasn't until Farke seemingly realised you can't surrender the centre mid like that in England that we got any traction. 

I feel Smith is currently in the same sort of space. The 4-3-3 doesn't end up much different to 4-1-4-1 as Gibbs aside there are no defensively disciplined players in the midfield (and even he doesn't think of himself as defensive). Games become a roulette of we-attack, you-attack which is a shootout at best, and I think whether or not Smith gets us going depends on finding a way to control matches. A lot of our players will look considerably better if they aren't forced into playing a ding-dong running race battle.

One other thing no one has mentioned, Farke came from Germany, had no experience in the league, Smith has played and managed at this level, his previous experience should have helped with this season campaign. Comparison is just not fair considering how much more Farke had to deal with to Smith.

Given the circumstances I would certainly expect not to lose more than three on the bounce at this level, even with injuries in one area we still have a big squad with experience.

It took a bit of time to adjust to Farke as he was very different from what we're used to, was insistent we'd play football in a set way and system. But we had Maddison to keep us afloat and it was a bit of a journey. But by Christmas he'd won most of us over and we had some very good games in amongst some poor ones but there was some positive signs, enough to get behind the team and manager. 

I can't see Smith doing the same. 

On 21/10/2022 at 08:05, Indy said:

That’s funny, with Buendia Smith only lasted 11 games! Maybe Farke actually got more out of the players than we give him credit for, Buendia under Smith & Gerrard hasn’t developed nor really held his place, Pukki under Smith looks a shadow and the rest look pretty ordinary 

To be fair to Buendia, he’s won over the Villa fans, that’s for sure.

Watkins (even zings) is a similar player to Pukki and given a run of games together, perhaps 10 or more, pretty sure Watkins and / or Ings would start to be prolific.

Villa have failed to find a system that suits Buendia, i.e., where he can find the spaces between opponents midfield and defence and at the same time his teammates find him with the ball.     In fact, they have also failed to find any cohesive approach to the game and have found themselves going long ball more often.

In fact, they have also failed to find any cohesive approach to the game and I found themselves going along more often. Strangely, they have followed a very similar path to us.

• Like 1

On 20/10/2022 at 23:02, Pyro Pete said:

It was dull. Not dire.

The squad was still in transition. Pukki and Emi had yet to arrive. Youngsters like Lewis, Aarons and Godfrey were still emerging.

Stiepermann played left back!

Couldn’t you say something broadly similar about now?

Hayden yet to arrive (in a football sense) Sara, Nunez and Gibbs still emerging, transition season and left back crisis.

I understand the frustration with Smith, the footballs not good enough, and I also don’t necessarily believe that just because I think he should have time it will work out.

However I think people are looking back on Farkes first season with their rose tinted hindsight glasses. I feel like I remember plenty of voices on here who wanted rid.

Edited by Monty13