canarybubbles

Does Emi have regrets?

Obviously not financially, but his time at Villa is hardly turning into a glorious success, and I sometimes wonder if he ever thinks he made the wrong decision by leaving here. If he reproduced his 20/21 form, perhaps he could have kept us up. For certain, everything would have been different - probably no Gilmour for a start - and Emi might have set himself up for a move to a far better club than Villa, who look at best like surviving.

EMI really struggled at times, we often saw him as close to a liability due to his temperament. I was a huge fan, but I chuckle at the revisionist view that he was some maestro, likewise The over blown comments on Skipp, both subs in the premiership. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

44 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Might regret joining Villa, but won't regret leaving Norwich.

Exactly what I was going to say. 

Arsenal and Atletico Madrid were sniffing around; had he waited and rejected Villa, they may have made a bid close to what Villa did.

From our point of view, we may not have received a bid as lucrative as the one we did receive, though. 

1 hour ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Might regret joining Villa, but won't regret leaving Norwich.

This.

Going as early as he did in the window, we didn't maximise our £ and he didn't find a better option.

Just now, cambridgeshire canary said:

And to think Mings is an England regular..

I go all England and I have to contest that, he’s not even in the squad.

1 minute ago, Pyro Pete said:

Bit like Ben Godfrey at Everton.

Better salary. Marginally better side.

Just battling relegation, with a bit more chance of staying up.

10 hours ago, corbs said:

EMI really struggled at times, we often saw him as close to a liability due to his temperament. I was a huge fan, but I chuckle at the revisionist view that he was some maestro, likewise The over blown comments on Skipp, both subs in the premiership. 

IMO, 'maestro' is not too strong a word for his overall performance in 20/21.

He seems to have been wasted completely at Villa. Let's see if his new manager can get a better tune out of him.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, corbs said:

Sorry but that's nonsense. Emi was here for 92 Championship games. 

He didn't start 13 of those games and we gained 11 points in those games. That's close to relegation form. 

In the 79 games he did start we gained a 46 game season equivalent of more than 110 points. A championship record. And you think he was a liability! 

• Like 8

I doubt he regrets leaving Norwich but pretty sure he regrets going to Villa.

Is he still featuring in the Argentina squad? If not,he may also regret fact he has missed out on a World Cup place….might be an argument he might have had better chance if he was outstanding player with us and guiding us back to the premier league rather than bench warming at Villa?

13 hours ago, corbs said:

hahahahahhahaa

WAIT... HAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA

You clueless idiot.

• Sad 1

13 hours ago, canarybubbles said:

Obviously not financially, but his time at Villa is hardly turning into a glorious success, and I sometimes wonder if he ever thinks he made the wrong decision by leaving here. If he reproduced his 20/21 form, perhaps he could have kept us up. For certain, everything would have been different - probably no Gilmour for a start - and Emi might have set himself up for a move to a far better club than Villa, who look at best like surviving.

I highly doubt it.

2 hours ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Sorry but that's nonsense. Emi was here for 92 Championship games. 

He didn't start 13 of those games and we gained 11 points in those games. That's close to relegation form. 

In the 79 games he did start we gained a 46 game season equivalent of more than 110 points. A championship record. And you think he was a liability! 

Well, if those stats are correct then Smith can't be doing that badly bearing in mind he's had to build a team without Buendia in the Champs...

As for Emi, it looked a good move at the time considering some of the other players brought in. Bailey was a proven Bundesliga performer, Coutinho was proven in the Premier League...I can definitely see why Villa fans think Gerrard's underachieving.

Edited by TheGunnShow

13 hours ago, corbs said:

This is poppyc*ck.

Emi remains the probably the most talented individual player I can remember at the club. A genuine ability to make things happen, often from nothing. Sure his temperament caught him out on occasion but he always played on the edge, the upside of which MORE than made up for the blips. 

Skipp was brilliant for us, provided a balance to the midfield we’ve not had since. He was the midfield signing we should have really pushed for last season. 

What roles/status they hold at their current clubs is a complete irrelevance to me. 

Edited by mrdi
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

He is still in the prem and being well rewarded,  cant see that will regret having left us.

As for form,  he is a player who needs  to play every week,  he is relatively slow to get to match speed - took 3-4 games each seasn with us,  and thrives on the challenge of starting non stop - as such the in out nature of villa has hampered him and any world cup ambitions. 

As for Gerrard - he simply couldnt match the hyperbole - managerially out of his depth,  and mirroring Lampard

If I were him, and watched Leon Bailey start ahead of me, regardless of money I'd not be a happy chap. His situation does provide a bit of perspective on our own signings that haven't settled and not looked good value against the money spent. Emi didn't get near the ball last night, I think I saw him touch it once in around 15-20 mins. Jogging aimlessly side to side. We know how good he can be, but in a team that was struggling, as Villa were last night, it was seemingly impossible for him to get involved. You could level at him, based upon last night, that he looked disinterested and not up to it - if you knew no different of course - which most Villa supporters won't. It's the same reason we had the guy on here defending Tzolis. In all likelihood he probably needs to move clubs again.

54 minutes ago, The Great Mass Debater said:

On Gerrard and Lampard, I still to this day do not understand why big clubs continue to think top player = top manager

Gerrard showed some promise at Rangers. I think the Villa job is really a poisoned chalice, shows how good Martin O'Neill was as a manager really, arguably the last manager to succeed there.

Admittedly he benefitted massively from Celtic losing their way after Rodgers walked out, but he was instrumental in changing the culture at Rangers & forcing the board into training ground improvements.

Lampard, on the other hand, just seems to get jobs on the back of being Harry Redknapp's nephew and allegedly having a high IQ, don't understand what the fuss is about with him at all. He does seem to have made Everton hard to beat though, so maybe he'll make it... who knows.

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

55 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Gerrard showed some promise at Rangers. I think the Villa job is really a poisoned chalice, shows how good Martin O'Neill was as a manager really, arguably the last manager to succeed there.

Admittedly he benefitted massively from Celtic losing their way after Rodgers walked out, but he was instrumental in changing the culture at Rangers & forcing the board into training ground improvements.

Lampard, on the other hand, just seems to get jobs on the back of being Harry Redknapp's nephew and allegedly having a high IQ, don't understand what the fuss is about with him at all. He does seem to have made Everton hard to beat though, so maybe he'll make it... who knows.

Come on, 

Frank has surpassed what Harry achieved in this game