Sign in to follow this  
TeemuVanBasten

Would you accept Neil Adams on an interim basis?

As Sporting Director until the end of the season.

Let him pick the next manager, do a small amount of business in January to plug obvious gaps in the squad (couple of loans perhaps?)

Then perhaps look at whether he gets these things right? Clause in contract saying that he can't appoint himself as manager of course, which is what Mark Bowen did at Reading! 

I just can't quite shake off the feeling that Webber shouldn't be picking the next manager and shouldn't be leading us into another transfer window. He's performed poorly for 2 years and has got more wrong than he's got right in that period, he's also made it very clear that he's bored of his job.

I don't rate Dean Smith at all, but also don't want him to be used as the fall guy to mask our deeper issues either.

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

1 minute ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Let him pick the next manager, do a small amount of business in January to plug obvious gaps in the squad (couple of loans perhaps?)

Then perhaps look at whether he gets these things right? 

I just can't quite shake off the feeling that Webber shouldn't be picking the next manager and shouldn't be leading us into another transfer window. He's performed poorly for 2 years and has got more wrong than he's got right in that period, he's also made it very clear that he's bored of his job.

I don't rate Dean Smith at all, but also don't want him to be used as the fall guy to mask our deeper issues either.

Only if Smith and Jones called it quits too. 

Edited by Midlands Yellow

1 minute ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Only with Bryan Gunn as his number 2, both have unfinished business in the dugout. 

I'm talking as Sporting Director here, not manager.

Thing is, Delia & Co know who Webber's real managerial targets were and why we ended up with Smith..   He didn't go to Dubai for a laugh, put it that way.

If I had to bet on who could twist the owners arm to fund a better coach and provide them with a spending budget that they require my money would be on Webber's ability for that, way above Adams in fact.   

But then there's a part of me thinking that the club could do with a Neil Adams and Russ Martin combination to take over and lift our hearts again.  I think Adams would play a safety card like that, as you can't really lose with the supporters.

I just don't know if that would be a step forward, or stupid sympathy.  Logic says that Adams should keep doing the role he's doing as he's perfectly placed to aid Webber's successor which is equally as important.... Rather than being thrown to the lions.

Edited by Google Bot

1 hour ago, Google Bot said:

But then there's a part of me thinking that the club could do with a Neil Adams and Russ Martin combination to take over and lift our hearts again.

I would throw Mark Robins name into the mix for the feel good factor, bit of a cult hero and tends to have nice words about us.

Craig Bellamy as the wildcard, if Neil Adams wasn't one of those involved in locking Bellamy in a coach toilet for hours to shut him up that time, former team mates of course.

And then there is.... Gary O'Neil, the Norfolk Butcher. Still only interim manager at Bournemouth, I'm sure he'd want to talk to us even if it were just to try and force Bournemouth into making a decision on whether to make him permanent or not. 

Just now, TeemuVanBasten said:

I would throw Mark Robins name into the mix for the feel good factor, bit of a cult hero and tends to have nice words about us.

Craig Bellamy as the wildcard, if Neil Adams wasn't one of those involved in locking Bellamy in a coach toilet for hours to shut him up that time, former team mates of course.

And then there is.... Gary O'Neil, the Norfolk Butcher. Still only interim manager at Bournemouth, I'm sure he'd want to talk to us even if it were just to try and force Bournemouth into making a decision on whether to make him permanent or not. 

You **** the bed last time I bought this up but I do genuinely remember an incident with Robins and Deehan when Robins was a player here which might have burnt a bridge in Delia's eyes, although I think it allegedly predated her involvement in the club.

Still, I'd love to see Robins here, been an advocate for him for a while.

1 hour ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Then perhaps look at whether he gets these things right? Clause in contract saying that he can't appoint himself as manager of course, which is what Mark Bowen did at Reading! 

Agree with all of that and definitely don't want Webber to oversee the appointment of another manager - get rid of Webber and DS, and see what Neil comes up with - after all if there is any truth in anything Webber says about his role and the continuity it is supposed to bring to the football side of the club then he and Neil already have a list of potential replacements as Head Coach.

Mind you, that is what we were led to believe previously but then when he sacked Farke it very quickly became clear that he hadn't got a scooby about who he wanted to bring in and ended up making a very poor and panicky appointment.

31 minutes ago, essex canary said:

Happy with Adams providing Martin isn't part of the deal.

I felt the same until I saw Swansea's style of play, now I'm undecided.

I wonder what the scenario would have been if our Stu had actually got the job at Stamford Bridge?....Would Neil Adams be temporarily shooed into Stu's old role as DofF with a view to a permanent appointment as our DofF... Probably...whilst we have the current NCFC Board set up.....Although I think the Baseball Boys would view it differently....

31 minutes ago, Yellow Wal said:

The idea is starting to grow on me, but maybe that's because as my low opinion of Smith's ability shrinks ever lower, the alternatives start to look more appealing. 

I don’t think it’s a case of ‘accepting’ it or not - I think it’s fairly clear that Adams has been positioned to be ready to take the role either on a transitional, temporary basis; or a successional, permanent one. The only question is ‘when’. 

48 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

You **** the bed last time I bought this up but I do genuinely remember an incident with Robins and Deehan when Robins was a player here which might have burnt a bridge in Delia's eyes

I've got a feeling this might have another poster, as I've never read/seen anything about that incident.

Robins did leave just before Delia got involved though I think.

Yes. I would have Neil as interim Sporting director and / or interim manager.

He is an honourable man and a better manager than Dean.

#WebberOut #SmithOut (either)

I thought he’s more or less being trained to step in, to be fair, he’s been involved with Webber so it should the way we go. None of us know just how well he could do the job, if Webber decides to go we could do worse!

And would he go to Russell as a replacement? The new Norwich project.

2 hours ago, Yellow Wal said:

I feel the same. Swansea are also starting to actually win games now as well. 

I think with him it would be a long-term project. A bit like when Farke came, we'd have to accept a season of adapting to his style before we start to see success 

Having said that I think now Swansea are starting to win he wouldn't come to us anyway even if we asked

2 minutes ago, Chichcan said:

I feel the same. Swansea are also starting to actually win games now as well. 

I think with him it would be a long-term project. A bit like when Farke came, we'd have to accept a season of adapting to his style before we start to see success 

Having said that I think now Swansea are starting to win he wouldn't come to us anyway even if we asked

We summon he comes.

For all his faults I'd rather Webber stays. The club is in enough turmoil at the moment and getting rid/losing Webber would only add to it.

If we don't start winning matches again soon then Smith has to go; I don't see Adams having the courage or nouse to do that, and recruit a satisfactory replacement. Webber is also integral to the relationship with the US investors, which is the vital bigger picture here.

Being rejected by Chelsea and minor crisis we are in at the moment lessens Webber's 'stock'. He has a lot to regain and prove now. Hopefully he will stay on.

Zoe as the new Sporting Director would be interesting. She has got good integrity and is apparently pretty excellent with contracts / paperwork and dealing with people. She's also probably been the one grounding Webber's ego, at least at the beginning.

Edited by Michael Starr

7 minutes ago, Michael Starr said:

Zoe as the new Sporting Director would be interesting. She has got good integrity and is apparently pretty excellent with contracts / paperwork and dealing with people. She's also probably been the one grounding Webber's ego, at least at the beginning.

Honestly not the daftest shout I've ever heard

6 hours ago, canarydan23 said:

The idea is starting to grow on me, but maybe that's because as my low opinion of Smith's ability shrinks ever lower, the alternatives start to look more appealing. 

It's the footballing equivalent of a 'dry spell'.

Things that normally wouldn't normally interest one start to titilate....