Sign in to follow this  
lake district canary

Mclean's sending off

Apologies if this has been mentioned already, but why was it a sending off?  He was being grappled from behind and was just trying to get free from it as far as I could see. Yes a hand comes up, but it didn't look aggressive to me, just trying to get free from a defender who was actually fouling him in the penalty area. Argument for a penalty even?

Not sure he intended it but you can't put your hand in someone's face.

The ref was right on it, the fastest Red card I've ever seen.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, lake district canary said:

Apologies if this has been mentioned already, but why was it a sending off?  He was being grappled from behind and was just trying to get free from it as far as I could see. Yes a hand comes up, but it didn't look aggressive to me, just trying to get free from a defender who was actually fouling him in the penalty area. Argument for a penalty even?

The ball was in play, so technically yes, he could have given a penalty for the pulling and still sent McLean off for retaliation. Either way, though, McLean had to go. Swing your arm around at head height and you're asking to be sent off.

6 minutes ago, king canary said:

Because he whacks their guy in the face? It is a stonewall red card.

This. It was a red card. End of story. Kenny was in the wrong.

1 minute ago, Feedthewolf said:

The ball was in play, so technically yes, he could have given a penalty for the pulling and still sent McLean off for retaliation. Either way, though, McLean had to go. Swing your arm around at head height and you're asking to be sent off.

Watched this unfold in the first half. Kenny seems to be the main man for the new 'set play coach'. He's the one that attacks the ball. Their defenders were targeting him and Pukki. The ref intervened a couple of times before the ball was in play.  Pukki especially got frustrated by it all.

The 'set piece dark arts' cost us a goal against WBA and a red card last night. There's little consistency from refs but to be fair they'd need eyes in the back of their heads to see it all.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, nutty nigel said:

Watched this unfold in the first half. Kenny seems to be the main man for the new 'set play coach'. He's the one that attacks the ball. Their defenders were targeting him and Pukki. The ref intervened a couple of times before the ball was in play.  Pukki especially got frustrated by it all.

The 'set piece dark arts' cost us a goal against WBA and a red card last night. There's little consistency from refs but to be fair they'd need eyes in the back of their heads to see it all.

The set piece dark arts didn't cost us. Stupidity did.

I thought Kenny was one of our better performers last night, other than the incident aside. Wins more in the air at LB and can offer more than most of our other left backs. Whats quite clear to me is, Sinani and quite a few others just really arent capable of playing for a top two side in the championship, he blows too hot and cold. Players like him, Dowell and others should really be chomping at the bit to get on the pitch and impress. Im sure if Dowell started it would of helped link up play. We appear to still be struggling to find the right mix in midfield/attack.

Edited by jaberry2
  • Like 2

Modern game is a pantomime mixed with what can we get away with.

Reviewing the whole thing on var would turn football into American throw ball in regard to length so I'm not for that 

If a ref started carding all you would probably get to 90 mins with a five aside game remaining.

Still would like to see it 

1 minute ago, canarydan23 said:

The set piece dark arts didn't cost us. Stupidity did.

Chicken and egg really. Wolfie's penalty and red card seems about right to me.

Thanks for the replies. It looked to me something and nothing, Kenny just trying to pull away from being held and the arm came up as a result of that, not deliberate - and the defender going down like he'd been shot.

• Like 1

Why do referees hold up play to warn players about what is happening in the penalty area before corners. 

Let the corner be taken and if there is a foul penalise it.

Surely it is as simple as that?

• Like 1

It is an interesting scenario, the red card was correct because Kenny retaliated. However, he was retaliating to being fouled, which meant we should have also been awarded a penalty and their player booked for not attempting to play the ball.

• Like 1

I do think he was unlucky because it was not intentional but we haven't got a hope of getting it reversed because he flailed his arms and made contact.

What I do find irritating is that this was the culmination of the wrestling at corners that the referee had not managed to get a grip of throughout the game to that point. Whilst after the sending off he was red hot on it in the first half it happened 3 or 4 times and he did nothing. In fact on one occasion Pukki was just blatantly pushed to the floor right in front of the referee. Why is that not a penalty?

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, AJ said:

It is an interesting scenario, the red card was correct because Kenny retaliated. However, he was retaliating to being fouled, which meant we should have also been awarded a penalty and their player booked for not attempting to play the ball.

I cant see them challenging it, looks to obvious to me to backfire and be given a longer ban.

36 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Thanks for the replies. It looked to me something and nothing, Kenny just trying to pull away from being held and the arm came up as a result of that, not deliberate - and the defender going down like he'd been shot.

Watching it now and can't see how that's a natural movement of the left arm trying to get away from the player at all, the defender is all over Kenny's right hand side, so where does the need to swing his left arm round and behind his right shoulder come from? If McLean is trying to get away from him I could understand an accidental stray elbow from his right hand side as he tries to shake him off but that's not what happened. its a clear punch and a definite red. 

Smith was talking absolute nonsense in the post match interview with Goreham.

1 minute ago, Jim Smith said:

I do think he was unlucky because it was not intentional but we haven't got a hope of getting it reversed because he flailed his arms and made contact.

Not intentional?? I'm a bit concerned if he really lacks that much control over his limbs! 

It was a red and sums up why I wish he wasn't in the side- he really is headless in his reactions to what is going on around him.

As for set piece set up, it is also concerning we are still persevering with the near post flick on from Kenny. Any opposition coach worth their salt is now fully aware of it and sets up to ensure we are unsuccessful. So where is the Plan B, and C from our set piece coach? Same place as our Plan B and C in general play, up Smith's aŕse no doubt!

Edited by shefcanary

32 minutes ago, Yellow Wal said:

Why do referees hold up play to warn players about what is happening in the penalty area before corners. 

Let the corner be taken and if there is a foul penalise it.

Surely it is as simple as that?

Exactly this. It's ridiculous. The way the game is officiated is totally bonkers. Every single infringement should be penalised unless there is an advantage to be played. Let the players grapple and simply give a penalty. They were fouling multiple players at every corner and got away with it.

Regardless though, there is no excuse for raising your hand. It's moronic. Just let the defender hold you, fall over and complain to the ref after. McLean clearly lashed out, albeit not especially hard.

24 minutes ago, shefcanary said:

It was a red and sums up why I wish he wasn't in the side- he really is headless in his reactions to what is going on around him.

After reading this I've come to realise this happened after his little frustrated arms up to the crowd after being booed off at half time, had pointy Mcpointerson just lost his head completely, was feeling angered at all that was going on around him and just had a little swing!? 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, GodlyOtsemobor said:

After reading this I've come to realise this happened after his little frustrated arms up to the crowd after being booed off at half time, had pointy Mcpointerson just lost his head completely, was feeling angered at all that was going on around him and just had a little swing!? 

I forgot that incident, but underlines my feeling he is just reactive to things out of his control! He was revved up, but it's as much the management's fault as his own in not changing tactics and set piece routines. Everyone could see it wasn't working. 

36 minutes ago, Hank shoots Skyler said:

Not intentional?? I'm a bit concerned if he really lacks that much control over his limbs! 

Aaah - so he isnt constantly pointing out his team mates errors each game, he has an upper limb tourettes disorder.

I can see why the ref gave it;  for me the swing of the left arm was done with some pace & he caught their player in the face,  what i havent seen a view that tells us whether its a push (still red if in the face at that speed), a slap (as deano suggests) or a fisted punch.   I dont think we will succeed in overturning it and do think its the right decision to send him off.   It is also a poor reaction from one of the most senior players.      

3 hours ago, Feedthewolf said:

Exactly how I see it. Red card correct but should have been a penalty for the holding too. Stupid by McLean and not sure where Smith is coming from when he says he doesn't think it was a red, as clear as they come.

I guess it is a red card.  That said, one thing for sure is that their guy made the absolute most of it. You’d think a punch that all-but knocks someone out would result in some sort of mark on their face, but there was nothing.  I wondered if he even connected.

Footballers really are a bunch of total c-u-next-Tuesdays, and don’t realise they are actually ruining the game.

It was also 100% a penalty if you’re going to penalise Kenny for the retaliation 

Edited by Branston Pickle
  • Like 1

I'm 99% convinced that Kenny had no intention of connecting with the guy's face, he was trying to generate leverage with his arm to break free of the defenders clamp-like grip, which by the way IS a stonewall penalty.  

Bad refereeing, and bad luck on Kenny's part.  Sh1thousetry on defender's part.

You can't move around like a robot with your arms down your side when you're being grappled to that extent when trying to get free.  Anyone who's played contact sport within recent memory must know this?

It was a clear red card he swung his hand out and caught the defender in the face , no complaints about that however the defender was a joke they way he went down as if hit by a knockout punch .😬

50 minutes ago, Canary dwarf said:

Straight 3 match ban for Kenny which is a result 😄

No. He's our best left back by some distance. I want to like Dimi but he loses the ball far too often - much more than Kenny in that position.

• Like 1