Canary Jedi

Reasons for Smith to stay

38 minutes ago, Inch High aka Inchy.. said:

Yes, I've never said any different. Farkes sacking was needed but the knee jerk appointment of Smith was a bad decision. 

I don't know why you think I was in love with Farke? His time had come and he was rightly sacked. I've never said otherwise.

Fair enough

Genuinely, I feel a bit meh about him, I don’t really understand what he is trying to achieve, or how he is approaching it, he has been given a full preseason to prepare and recruit the squad, and I really disliked the fact that John Terry came to visit, I really do not want that man involved at our club.

On balance I wouldn’t pull the trigger yet, if we sack managers too quickly the good quality managers will think twice about joining, we are right in the pack for promotion so sacking him would appear unfair at this exact point, changing managers is not a guarantee of success, a new manager would come in and face Burnley and Sheffield Utd so might as well let DS try to turn the results around in those two games, (we would feel better if we won both of those games), temporary managers only unsettle the performances reducing the chances of going up, and finally for the real nightmare scenario to happen and we end up getting relegated, we would need a lot of instability and injuries.  The club can control both of those, but the first one is easier to avoid, and not sacking DS would ensure stability.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, By Hook or Ian crook said:

Did you not hear his interview after the game last night saying sometimes you have to give credit to the opposition? 

That's different to saying about how they have more quality week in week out before the game has even kicked off.

19 hours ago, Inch High aka Inchy.. said:

This early on? He should have gone at the end of last season after proving he's a failure.

Another great example of the application of different definitions in different circumstances used by the boo boys: Past success getting AV promoted and keeping them up in the premier league doesn't make him a proven premier league calibre manager who can get a team promoted, but not keeping a squad up that was already well on course for relegation before he arrived is 'proof' he's a failure.

Reasons to stay. 

• All of his analyses of what hasn't worked this season is largely consistent with the analyses of his less superficial critics. This shows he does understand what's wrong and is invested in making it work. 
  • We are scoring under him. Other than last game and the first game of the season, we have scored at least once in every one of our games, and our actual goals scored are towards the best in the league. 
  • In spite of three losses on the trot, we remain three points from the top of the table. 
  • Managerial change is what you do when you're desperately flailing about in a crisis. There is no crisis outside the heads of the handful of drama queens looking to whip one up. 
  • We have a large load of injuries in the squad that are setting us back and should be considered when weighing up the recent lacklustre displays against earlier successes in the season and our overall position in touch of the top spots in the league. 
Edited by littleyellowbirdie

7 hours ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

Another great example of the application of different definitions in different circumstances used by the boo boys: Past success getting AV promoted and keeping them up in the premier league doesn't make him a proven premier league calibre manager who can get a team promoted, but not keeping a squad up that was already well on course for relegation before he arrived is 'proof' he's a failure.

Reasons to stay. 

• All of his analyses of what hasn't worked this season is largely consistent with the analyses of his less superficial critics. This shows he does understand what's wrong and is invested in making it work. 
  • We are scoring under him. Other than last game and the first game of the season, we have scored at least once in every one of our games, and our actual goals scored are towards the best in the league. 
  • In spite of three losses on the trot, we remain three points from the top of the table. 
  • Managerial change is what you do when you're desperately flailing about in a crisis. There is no crisis outside the heads of the handful of drama queens looking to whip one up. 
  • We have a large load of injuries in the squad that are setting us back and should be considered when weighing up the recent lacklustre displays against earlier successes in the season and our overall position in touch of the top spots in the league. 

If I Yawn, Does That Mean I Am Tired? - Somnowell

• Haha 2

I love that lyb’s first defence is essentially ‘Smith accurately spots which of his terrible decisions or tactics was the reason we lost’. 

On 19/10/2022 at 09:25, Canary Jedi said:

To be objective, what would be the reasons for Smith to stay? I can’t think of any good ones. 

Apparently shakespeares sister wants him to STAY. 

There’s one for the teenagers.💃🕺😁.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 19/10/2022 at 19:31, Inch High aka Inchy.. said:

Yes, I've never said any different. Farkes sacking was needed but the knee jerk appointment of Smith was a bad decision. 

I don't know why you think I was in love with Farke? His time had come and he was rightly sacked. I've never said otherwise.

It wasn't knee-jerk. Candidates were looked at; Dean Smith's resumé is actually a perfect fit for our aspirations. It should be pointed out that the prodigal son, Emi Buendia, did leave Norwich to join Smith at Aston Villa, which suggests Emi was sold on whatever Smith had to say to him. The problem is we have Grass is Always Greener syndrome. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

It wasn't knee-jerk. Candidates were looked at; Dean Smith's resumé is actually a perfect fit for our aspirations. It should be pointed out that the prodigal son, Emi Buendia, did leave Norwich to join Smith at Aston Villa, which suggests Emi was sold on whatever Smith had to say to him. The problem is we have Grass is Always Greener syndrome. 

How is appointment ring a manager that wasn’t even available when we sacked ours and only became a candidate when the first choice (also cack) turned us down NOT knee jerk? 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, SwearyCanary said:

How is appointment ring a manager that wasn’t even available when we sacked ours and only became a candidate when the first choice (also cack) turned us down NOT knee jerk? 

Because a knee-jerk reaction is an automatic involuntary process; Smith was one of a number of people that the club talked to. In my book, a manager of Smith's credentials becoming available at that moment is serendipity.

And yeah, the first choice turned us down, afraid of a relegation on his CV; Smith was up for having a go at a next door to impossible task.

4 minutes ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

Because a knee-jerk reaction is an automatic involuntary process; Smith was one of a number of people that the club talked to. In my book, a manager of Smith's credentials becoming available at that moment is serendipity.

And yeah, the first choice turned us down, afraid of a relegation on his CV; Smith was up for having a go at a next door to impossible task.

Does it look like he had a good go? Not from the football I watched him oversee it didn’t. I saw a man content to consolidate and take a squad he felt were capable of instant success the following year when his stock was low to try and bounce back in the eyes of the game. 

9 minutes ago, SwearyCanary said:

Does it look like he had a good go? Not from the football I watched him oversee it didn’t. I saw a man content to consolidate and take a squad he felt were capable of instant success the following year when his stock was low to try and bounce back in the eyes of the game. 

He did better than Farke did with the same squad. Not by much, but it was better and it was also a hopeless task in my view. Do you seriously believe someone else would have kept us up? Would Farke have? I doubt it.

5 hours ago, SwearyCanary said:

I love that lyb’s first defence is essentially ‘Smith accurately spots which of his terrible decisions or tactics was the reason we lost’. 

Well actually, yeah. The only way you can get real world data about player performance in a football game is by trying stuff. It's by experimenting that you'll get the most possible information about what works and what doesn't to formulate the most effective approaches.

27 minutes ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

He did better than Farke did with the same squad. Not by much, but it was better and it was also a hopeless task in my view. Do you seriously believe someone else would have kept us up? Would Farke have? I doubt it.

No, you don’t seem to read my posts. I said Farke out was correct but Smith in was not. I didn’t congratulate him on his ever so slightly less terrible record though so I’ll make sure to do that when I next see him 

2 minutes ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

Well actually, yeah. The only way you can get real world data about player performance in a football game is by trying stuff. It's by experimenting that you'll get the most possible information about what works and what doesn't.

Would be a decent argument if he actually enacted change once he identified the issues 

• Like 1

Just now, SwearyCanary said:

No, you don’t seem to read my posts. I said Farke out was correct but Smith in was not. I didn’t congratulate him on his ever so slightly less terrible record though so I’ll make sure to do that when I next see him 

So who do you believe would have kept us up then?

5 minutes ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

Choice is rather limited by injuries of late.

Nice excuse for him. Should be worth a good few more games that one