TeemuVanBasten

Should we sack Dean Smith in the Morning? (POLL)

Should we sack Dean Smith in the Morning?  

157 members have voted

1. 1. Should we sack Dean Smith in the Morning?

• Yes
    • No

1 minute ago, By Hook or Ian crook said:

If he’s not got a list of candidates he wants to replace him already then he’s not doing his job properly anyway he should be thinking 3 moves ahead all the time. Providing those moves are up bloody mountains in transfer windows. 

I'm sure he will have such a list. Approaching out-of-work managers for an informal chat would be fine, not suggesting he should be 'tapping up' managers still in a job while we still have someone in post.

Just now, Feedthewolf said:

I'm sure he will have such a list. Approaching out-of-work managers for an informal chat would be fine, not suggesting he should be 'tapping up' managers still in a job while we still have someone in post.

Interestingly enough I’ve always felt bad when I changed hairdressers too as that always feels like cheating on the last one the first few times. 

• Haha 1

Just now, ricardo said:

These things eventually take care of themselves.

What were your thoughts on tonight, Ricardo? Did it feel to you like a manager who's reached the end of his rope? You're generally the best barometer of this topic... 🙂

I vote NO as there is no replacement lined up yet

The world cup break will change it to a YES

I was in favour of keeping him, honestly thought that putting a run of results together would result in more confidence within the players and better performances as a result.

I then sat through tonight’s game on Sky and have never seen such a turgid performance. He just isn’t getting it right and with the squad we have at this level there’s no excuse. 

9 hours ago, By Hook or Ian crook said:

Interestingly enough I’ve always felt bad when I changed hairdressers too as that always feels like cheating on the last one the first few times. 

😄😄😄 I know someone who was continuously unhappy with his haircut but still went back to the same barber because they lived on the same street and he couldn't handle the ' guilt' of ' leaving ' him. 

Roight, sleep. Fish. Eat repeat.

Edited by wcorkcanary

19 minutes ago, Pyro Pete said:

Webber won't sack him while we're still in the mix at the top.

Lose to Sheff Utd and Burnley and we'll probably be out of the playoff places.

Then Webber will have a decision to make.

Judging by Webber's recent comments I'd be surprised if he sacks him even after those two likely defeats. Smith will still be here by the world cup unless we literally keep losing every game, which we won't. 

4 minutes ago, By Hook or Ian crook said:

It feels very much like Smith is to Farke what Hughton was to Lambert. At least Hughton made us defensively sound though throughly boring. 

This, this and absolutely this!! 

This is now the best way to describe the smith era! 

9 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

What were your thoughts on tonight, Ricardo? Did it feel to you like a manager who's reached the end of his rope? You're generally the best barometer of this topic... 🙂

I didnt feel that the crowd has fully turned yet. When it does, you will know.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Its 36-6 in favour of sacking him thus far.

And 1 of those against was Corky who thinks we should sack him on Thursday rather than Wednesday.

Against sacking him gaining some momentum now... growing at a faster rate than pro-sacking.

45-12

I will just check TWTD though, make sure binners aren't trying to swing the vote. 

• Haha 2

26 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

The Dunston Hall thing actually turned out to be untrue.

They did meet, but it was in Dubai.

Webber flew to Dubai to try to convince Lampard to join us as manager.

More money down the drain to get another waster

23 minutes ago, mrD66M said:

I vote NO as there is no replacement lined up yet

The world cup break will change it to a YES

Southgate fan, eh? 🙂

26 minutes ago, By Hook or Ian crook said:

It feels very much like Smith is to Farke what Hughton was to Lambert. At least Hughton made us defensively sound though throughly boring. 

Have to say I agree with this. I think anyone following Farke had an impossible job. Personally I voted no to sacking him now. I think he should get until the break, with a chance to have an almost fully fit squad. I don't agree that the season is anywhere near over if we lost another couple; there's still plenty of time to make it a success.

However, the ice is getting thinner and the next two games are toughies. We'll see what they are made of.

5 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

You've been living amongst those highly superstitious Irish folk for too long 🤣

Aunt Polly said it was so.

We can vote all we like on here but the key question is whether Webber is ready to sack him. I doubt it, since sacking Smith, unlike sacking Farke, would be tantamount to Webber admitting he screwed up big time. 

If those of us on here and elsewhere on social media are representative of the fan base, I think it's only a matter of time, so I agree with whoever said that we should bow to the inevitable and do it now. I don't think we will, though.

I found Ricardo's comment that he didn't think the fans had completely turned yet but were on their way a very interesting one. He's a shrewd cookie and he's been around a long time (sorry Ricardo!).

It would be nice to have a new manager in at the start of the WC break (that sounds like a toilet break?) so that he has a few weeks with most of the squad. But then there's the question of who Webber chooses next. The fact that we would have got Lampard before Smith even came into consideration is deeply troubling. It has echoes of scouring the whole of Europe but ended up offering the job to a guy on the basis of his big name.

Sadly, I think we can wipe off this season because things aren't going to happen quickly enough, or perhaps effectively enough, to turn us around.

Assuming Webber has an alternative (or two) in mind. 

Last time it was clear that when he sacked Farke his route was unclear .... unless the rumours regarding Lampard are to be believed.

Then Smith was sacked by Villa   .... we know the rest.

Who will actually make this decision these days though? The old couple, Webber, emergency board meeting?

Quite frankly, if it's just a want away chancer like Webber, then the support deserves better.

Farke seems to have been sacked under the most unsavoury circumstances. Quite shameful, actually, imo. DF had contributed so much to our club and brought so much pleasure. Smith's contribution has virtually been a big fat zero.

It would make my day if the pair of them were to be given the push this am. Big money being paid for a virtual demolition job. 

5 minutes ago, BroadstairsR said:

Assuming Webber has an alternative (or two) in mind. 

Last time it was clear that when he sacked Farke his route was unclear .... unless the rumours regarding Lampard are to be believed.

Then Smith was sacked by Villa   .... we know the rest.

Who will actually make this decision these days though? The old couple, Webber, emergency board meeting?

Quite frankly, if it's just a want away chancer like Webber, then the support deserves better.

Farke seems to have been sacked under the most unsavoury circumstances. Quite shameful, actually, imo. DF had contributed so much to our club and brought so much pleasure. Smith's contribution has virtually been a big fat zero.

It would make my day if the pair of them were to be given the push this am. Big money being paid for a virtual demolition job. 

If Smith and Webber walk surely the old couple need to too? Our boardroom is a very strange one to say the least. 

Edited by Midlands Yellow

As others have said, no point sacking him unless there is a replacement lined up.

I'd also wait until the Sheff Utd (a) and Burnley (a) games have passed, give the new manager a home game to start with, Stoke (h), to get the highest chance of a 'bounce'. 

Or get rid now, then go managerless for those two above games. 

Keep sacking and hiring managers but never change those in control. Club is rotten from top to bottom, no passion or fight and ultimately no hope that it'll get better.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours later and still no mug been put into the cardboard box of doom... I can only hope the club are waiting until 9am to announce the sacking. 

8 hours ago, ricardo said:

I didnt feel that the crowd has fully turned yet. When it does, you will know.

It shouldn't have to wait for that though.

Just for once, the club needs to act before it gets to that. Like when Mcnally removed Adams and brought in Neil. 

34 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

It shouldn't have to wait for that though.

Just for once, the club needs to act before it gets to that. Like when Mcnally removed Adams and brought in Neil. 

Or when Webber removed Farke and brought in Smith...?

Before we sack Smith we need to sack Webber.

Smith is Webber's appointment. He was appointed to keep us in the Premiership, he failed. It proved the point that the squad Webber had assembled wasn't up to the task of staying in the Premiership. Indeed it wasn't Farke who was the problem, it was in fact Webber and his squad. 

Smith's appointment was as a result of Webber throwing Farke under the bus to save himself. 

If we sack Smith, Webber will stay and continue to steer the ship.

Instead we should keep Smith short term and fire Webber with a view to reviewing the Manager's suitability once a new sporting Director is appointed. 

In all probability we need both a new Sporting Director and a new Manager. There is no point hiring a new manager if the root cause of our problems is still in situ. Webber. No one is indispensable.

A new sporting Director would have the remit to get us into the Premiership and keep us there. Events have been more than sufficient to expose what our limitations are and we need to inject new blood into these senior roles.

The fact that Webber is climbing mountains and interviewing for other jobs shows us that he has run out of road. It would be best for both him and for the club if he moved on. This sort of attitude by the leadership of the footballing side sets a very bad example to all who work in that area. His treatment of Farke, his appointment of Smith, the failure to remain in the Premiership the example he has set of late. It is reflected in the attitudes and performances on the pitch. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Badger said:

Or when Webber removed Farke and brought in Smith...?

Shhh, it's anti-webber, anti-club, anti-delia-in-particular from Jim right now, leave him to it 😉