Sign in to follow this  
Petriix

I've seen enough, Dean Smith has to go

In the year he's been in charge the club has gone backwards. There's only so long you can keep trying the same thing and expecting a different outcome before you have to accept the madness for what it is. Time is up for Mr Smith while there's still time to salvage something from the season.

The defensive frailties stem from the same flawed midfield system we've been trying to play for the last 14 months. The lack of creativity and inability to break teams down come from the same issue: a lack of positional discipline. The midfield are (quite literally) all over the place. 

Responsibility absolutely has to lie with the manager. If he can't organise and motivate the players after a year, it's increasingly fanciful to imagine that he'll turn it around.

It's time to bring in some fresh ideas. Give us something to support. Enough is enough. 

• Like 7

Given the state of the accounts and our wage bill, we need a real change at the ownership level before the end of the season, otherwise it could be a sticky financial time again! Webber will sneak off before then and we’ll be back to where we were when he came in complained of the state of our club!

There's nothing on show that makes me think he should stay. Hasn't been good enough all season and are now getting the results our performances deserve.

How many times do we have to see Sargent played on the wing when Pukki is clearly so out of form. For that alone I don't think Smith should stay.

1 minute ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

We're last seasons WBA...start well and then fall away to mid table.

Dean Smith is the Steve Bruce

Smith is sh*t, but come on, he isn't Steve Bruce sh*t.

• Haha 1

Agreed. It's become more of a tactical issue now rather than a player issue. He keeps persisting in playing key players out of position. Tonight it was McLean at LB and both Sarg and Dowell on the wings (albeit Dowell got injured before even kicking a ball, that's how useless he's become). He's somehow turned Aarons and Byram into defenders who can't defend. The team can't string more than one pass to each other. Krul is a shell of his former self. Pukki likewise. This fraud is stubbornly sticking to his style of play when the players are not capable of shaping it. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Michael Starr said:

Agreed. It's become more of a tactical issue now rather than a player issue. He keeps persisting in playing key players out of position. Tonight it was McLean at LB and both Sarg and Dowell on the wings (albeit Dowell got injured before even kicking a ball, that's how useless he's become). He's somehow turned Aarons and Byram into defenders who can't defend. The team can't string more than one pass to each other. Krul is a shell of his former self. Pukki likewise. This fraud is stubbornly sticking to his style of play when the players are not capable of shaping it. 

The reason the fullbacks 'can't defend' is they're left totally exposed by the flawed midfield.

I'll either rubberstamp this or not in the morning once I've calmed down a bit, but everything about tonight's match made me feel Smith's time is up.

He's not even dividing the fanbase, he's just making it fatalistic and uninterested. Time to get shot now and hire someone who can inject some excitement, discipline and passion into our football.

Hell, one of those three would be an improvement.

Edited by Feedthewolf
  • Like 9

1 minute ago, Feedthewolf said:

I'll either rubberstamp this or not in the morning once I've calmed down a bit, but everything about tonight's match made me feel Smith's time is up.

He's not even dividing the fanbase, he's just making it fatalistic and uninterested. Time to get shot now and hire someone who can inject some excitement, discipline and passion into our football.

There you have it, one of the forums more sensible poster is calling for change. That makes his position totally untenable now. 

Smith balling at the 4th official for the final 20 minutes like a child lost it for me. Show some discipline. Some focus and maybe, if he does need to ball, aim it at the 11, sorry 10, players on the pitch in yellow.

The problem for him is going to be the fact he doesn't have any credit in the bank. Some fans weren't happy even during the unbeaten run so as soon as we lose a few the pressure is on.

Our best period of play ironically came before they scored and then the red card makes it very difficult.

I have absolutely no idea how Sinani gets in the starting eleven of this squad.

He was bought in to keep us in the premier league - for that abject failure alone, he should have been dismissed. 
This season we should have been the championship’s Man City, but unfortunately are the championship’s Leicester City 🤨☹️

8 minutes ago, Ken Hairy said:

There you have it, one of the forums more sensible poster is calling for change. That makes his position totally untenable now. 

Surely you mean 'two'... 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, hogesar said:

The problem for him is going to be the fact he doesn't have any credit in the bank. Some fans weren't happy even during the unbeaten run so as soon as we lose a few the pressure is on.

Our best period of play ironically came before they scored and then the red card makes it very difficult.

I have absolutely no idea how Sinani gets in the starting eleven of this squad.

I agree with this. However it is slightly harsh on Sinani as he can be very good, the problem is that it is far, far too infrequent and when he isn't good, it's like playing with 10 men. I don't get Cantwell, he's OK but certainly no better than Sinani or Dowell.

11 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

As Ken said above, if FTW is saying this kind of thing, you know something IS seriously going awry. Tonight was so abject but so entirely predictable. Another season is being thrown away unless action is taken NOW.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, All the Germans said:

Knowing us, that's what we'll get to replace Smith.

1 minute ago, TESCO said:

Knowing us, that's what we'll get to replace Smith.

Don't even joke about it 😂

6 minutes ago, All the Germans said:

I agree with this. However it is slightly harsh on Sinani as he can be very good, the problem is that it is far, far too infrequent and when he isn't good, it's like playing with 10 men. I don't get Cantwell, he's OK but certainly no better than Sinani or Dowell.

The problem is that all of Sinani, Dowell, Cantwell, Nunez, Ramsey and possibly Sara want to play in the same role behind the striker.

None of them are wide midfielders. Yet our manager wants to play 4-3-3 and our idiot sporting director has loaned out all our genuine wingers apart from Onel who we know is hit and miss. So we end up with midfielders out wide who check inside all the time or a striker playing there. 

6 minutes ago, All the Germans said:

I prefer Cantwell to Sinani but that could just be energy levels. I've also not been present for one of Sinanis decent displays.

Overall, the last 3 games have seen us regress rather than progress,  the first 20 minutes vs Preston aside.

During the unbeaten run we generally looked better defensively and didn't make anywhere near as many individual mistakes. And the mistakes aren't coming as a consequence of us playing more expansive, free flowing football. It's a concern.

Blaming the officials now, what a load of ****e.  Ref hasn't been coaching us so poorly for the past year you turd.

We can't even pass to one another, is probably the bigger issue to raise - is it not?!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, hogesar said:

It's a concern.

Well, that's wrapped up the understatement of the year award.

It's a shame no one let you know it was a concern before tonight.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, Jim Smith said:

The problem is that all of Sinani, Dowell, Cantwell, Nunez, Ramsey and possibly Sara want to play in the same role behind the striker.

None of them are wide midfielders. Yet our manager wants to play 4-3-3 and our idiot sporting director has loaned out all our genuine wingers apart from Onel who we know is hit and miss. So we end up with midfielders out wide who check inside all the time or a striker playing there. 

I'd hold Cantwell as the exception: he was instrumental in both our previous Championship titles, largely operating on the left.

The 4-3-3 is a system employed by the biggest clubs, usually against lesser opponents, so as to be able to play more of their world class attackers at the same time. We don't have the quality to get away with it, even at this level. 

Dean Smith has always played his attacking midfielders too high. We need to be far more compact and much harder to break down. The huge spaces we leave are a direct result of the flawed tactics. It's compounded by not even playing wide midfielders in the wide midfield roles.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, All the Germans said:

I’d argue even Steve Bruce could manage at least one performance of quality from our squad. Which would be one more than we’ve seen from smith so far. 

I agree with the original post by the way. The Farke situation was more nuanced and I reluctantly concluded we needed to make a change. This is more obvious to me as I don't think there is a single player who is currently playing at the level they are capable of and I don't think the team has played really well in a single game. We are regressing badly and can't even do the basics. 

• Like 1

To describe how demoralised people are,   It looked to us like Gibson got the red card and everyone was bemoaning saying what a liability he is... Then some were saying Ramsey was the one walking, and people saying he's Smith's Villa love child... and then when it was clear it McLean there was just this air of "Oh bloody typical".

Honestly, I can only think of a few players who would've got sympathy if they got a red, Sarge being one, and probably Cameron Jerome the other!! lol 🙂

14 minutes ago, hogesar said:

I prefer Cantwell to Sinani but that could just be energy levels. I've also not been present for one of Sinanis decent displays.

Overall, the last 3 games have seen us regress rather than progress,  the first 20 minutes vs Preston aside.

During the unbeaten run we generally looked better defensively and didn't make anywhere near as many individual mistakes. And the mistakes aren't coming as a consequence of us playing more expansive, free flowing football. It's a concern.

We have in our squad the exact same back 5 that won the league at a canter 2 seasons ago under Farke and finished the entire season only conceding 36 goals. we’ve let in 16 already this season and we are a quarter of the way through. Regardless of if you feel we looked better or not statistically we are worse with the same and the only thing that’s changed is the manager and the coaching. 

Smith has to go now for the sake of the club so we can get someone in like Scott Parker or Carlos Corberan. People who want to play football the right way. 

• Like 1