cambridgeshire canary

***official lappinitup match thread V mad hatters***

14 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

Lambert wasn't great before us Chicken. But we took a punt rather than opt for the failures of old. We did the same punt with DF but returned to the tried and failed.

All managers are a punt. And if anything, we have a history of that don't we, at least since Mike Walker was appointed, like Lambert, from Colchester after a season or so in management.

We had some that bucked the trend, for better or worse, but largely, when you look at the managers they were punts. Megson, Deehan, Worthington, Grant, Gunn, Lambert, Adams, Neil, Farke were all punts. Even O'Neill when appointed hadn't managed at a club of our stature before. Walker's return was a bit odd and hard to know how to judge, he wasn't brilliantly experienced before us...

Then you have those more versed, Rioch, Hamilton, Roeder and Hughton... three of those are instantly forgettable. I have a lot of time for what Rioch tried to do with us, and he was clearly passionate about trying to get us somewhere even on limited resources. None of them could touch what Worthington, Lambert and Farke achieved though, even if with more finances to play with.

Such is the way of sport / football. 

28 minutes ago, Indy said:

Nor will the money coming in Chicken, or revenue will be around 70 million this year and the wage bill will be as high% as last year. We don’t have many saleable assets left!

We have parachute payments though, and we have several players out of contract. We won't be sleep walking into anything.

See, this is where I draw the line. By all means, get frustrated with performances on the pitch etc, but don't take that on to other subjects and try to taint them with the same frustrations.

Take the advice / understanding from those who actually have a decent understanding of all things finances on the accounts thread and read what they have said. They tend to be spot on more often than not, and with all respect, I trust in them more at this time.

2 minutes ago, chicken said:

I trust in them more at this time.

You've also trusted Smith. So that kinda calls your judgement into question.

54 minutes ago, All the Germans said:

He didn't have to go. I can blame the current situation on his sacking. I don't particularly blame the fans as there was no particular pressure for his sacking (however they deserve this for their shortsightedness), I do however blame the man who sacked the best manager we have ever had.

First of all, there was a lot of pressure at the time for the club / Webber to sack Farke. In fact there were people saying that the previous premier league campaign shouldn't be considered a "free hit" - especially the last ten games where whilst it was still an impossible task, better results could at least have made a game of it. Criticism for not resting Pukki and playing him through a broken toe whilst Drmic appeared to offer an unorthodox option that hade worked in the cup run.

The calls for him to go started as early as after the 4th/5th results last season.

Several posters are right in saying that we were going down with him, we were on track to get a worse total than his first season. Despite what some try to claim, he is very much part of the recruitment process and has a say on who is signed. Some of that blame has to be put on him too. Whether he or Webber got the actual targets they wanted or not is a different issue. 

So then you come to this crux of this argument, Farke should have been kept because if we accepted after ten games (when the decision was made) that we were going to go down, we should have just taken last season on the chin with the idea that he would steer us back up this season.

Whilst I wasn't calling for his sacking, I understood why it was the only choice available to try and illicit change. There is no guarantee that Farke could get us to bounce back again, and if he did? Would we go with the same philosophy again? 10games in, 3-5pts? Oh well, at least we look good in the championship... 

12 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

You've also trusted Smith. So that kinda calls your judgement into question.

Thankfully, they have been posting on this board a lot longer than Smith has been our manager. No ones judgement is perfect, and I am happy to say that when it comes to our club, I prefer to try and be optimistic and give time. Interestingly though, I don't then gloat or try to proclaim I am right because I know how quickly things can fall apart for different reasons.

People wanted him sacked before the start of the season, after the defeat to Celtic, who some people felt we should just breeze past for some reason. Then took the result the following day to be another bad omen despite the uniqueness of it.

Those people have been continuing on all season, changing the goalposts, changing their reasoning. During the 9 game unbeaten run it was because they didn't "feel it" from Smith, they loved Farke, or that something didn't "feel right", as time went on and Smith himself criticised some performances for still not offering the full ability of the squad, that became the new argument as we weren't "dominating" teams... despite none of them bar one or two really dominating us either.

As I said, stopped clocks are always right twice a day (the old fashuned ones wiv 'ands). That's not aimed at some of the infrequent posters who have popped up more recently. Just the ones who are now hopping up and down saying they're right because he drank tea out of a mug or something.

Trust is also a weird thing so many people get so very wrong, a bit like respect.

Trust/respect is earned, so we are told. It's not though. That is truly a myth. Nor are either permanent and can be eroded. If a person gives someone no respect, no trust, IMHO, it says more about them than it does the person they give nothing to.