cambridgeshire canary

***official lappinitup match thread V mad hatters***

3 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Well, might as well have been 80 minutes of added time nevermind 8 and you still feel we would not have scored

But we were 3rd in the league this afternoon.

1 minute ago, kick it off said:

Only silver lining is at least McLean is suspended for next 3 games

Ironically up to that point he was probably our best player on the pitch at LB!

• Like 3

Well on the plus side Webber is off soon, our average weekly player wages are almost 50 grand a week and we have an aging squad that are clearly just getting worse.. Wait, that's not a plus and it's quite a bad case of deja vu

4 minutes ago, GodlyOtsemobor said:

Smith out 

Shakey out 

Webber out 

Webber's missus out 

Webbers hiking gear out 

Mug of tea, spilt... Out 

Kenny's pointer finger out

Pukki's shooting radar out 

Kruls right hand out 

Chris Llewellyns left foot out 

Jens bertal askous forehead out

Fozzy Flick out 

Arturo lupolis loan contract out. 

But Cody and Becchio in, right?

5 minutes ago, canarycop said:

Smith gas to go. I haven't said this before but now it's gone too far. He hasn't got a clue. Who would replace him though

Easy to say but....dyche, parker, (I would want neither of them!!! Or get the bouncy cheque book out and try KK , someone like that

1 minute ago, Monty13 said:

I found it quite ironic that he was actually one of the few playing well and then he goes and does that, unforgivable from an experienced pro.

I agree, he had been one of the better of the bad bunch until that stupid incident 

In a U turn worthy of Truss I’m joining the Smith out movement. I’ve been backing him, making excuses for him, blaming injuries and bad refereeing to help swallow the lack of enjoyment I’ve had with him at the helm and I’m embarrassed at how much I wanted it to work, so much I realised what I thought was going to happen tonight did happen and I enjoyed around 30 seconds of the match I’ve paid a lot of season ticket money to see. 
There’s supporting your team and then there’s blindly supporting your team and I’ve been blinded by vague hope that it will ‘come good’. Dean Smith seems nice, so I’m not going to slag him off, but I’ve seen enough aggy players to tell that his man management is not great and his team selections equally bad. The style, well this is the worst of it all and when it comes to leaving yet another game feeling like I haven’t enjoyed it then something is wrong. 

No more excuses, Smith is not right. We need to cut losses and get rid. It’s been a full seasons worth of games and enjoying the wins is scant consolation for never enjoying the 90 minutes which got there. 

SMITH OUT. 

PS - I was right about Cantwell being a pile of turd so take some comfort from my radar there. 

Edited by SwearyCanary
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Worthy Nigelton said:

I genuinely think this is a lifeline.

He will still try and pick him 

• Haha 2

Just now, cambridgeshire canary said:

Yes, we were. Then we played awfuly tonight. Keep up.

Oh, OK, just an off night, nothing to see.

Russell martin doing well at Swansea again…….take him over smith and I’m not even joking.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, chicken said:

Makes you wonder if the ref is watching that closely he should have blown before the fist to the face really. No excuses though, this hasn't been good enough. 

No, like a couple of others have said, and I have said before, I think people have overestimated this squad. Smith may well not be up to getting more from them like Farke did, especially when trying to make us more robust, when we know some of those players aren't more robust already. 

The long term problem is that we have been one dimensional. That started with us playing 4-2-3-1 which worked incredibly well, and Farke's desire to dominate the ball rather than the game so to speak. The issue was always the case that we struggled physically, we struggled when we couldn't get the ball back and we struggled when we went behind. However it worked more often, at this level, than it didn't and I get that as you want to see "pure football" it "looks" better.

Lambert remains to be, for me, the best manager experience we have had since the good years under Worthington. There was a balance, we could grind out results, we had the nasty side to the game, Holt knew how to ruffle up defenders, Johnson knew how to bully midfields. We haven't had such a balance to both sides of the game since - Farke included.

We need more from this squad, it may well need a change if this continues, but I think what we are seeing is a squad that has players that were good two seasons ago but who may not be the players they were, or can't repeat the levels they gave then. Some, like Hernandez, haven't shown that form for longer. 

As I have said, people big this squad up to be the best in this league, I've never convinced that to be the case. We were certainly never going to manage the feat of finding top-spot-bounce-back so easily again. 

We have seen the standard of this league. Its poor. And we might not have as good a squad as we think. But we have 16 players all with EPL experience. And yet we cannot even pass to each other. Or cross a ball. We have a striker who is clearly not interested. These players should just be set up properly and told to go out and play the opposition off the park.

It all comes down to the coach. What went on before him is irrelevant. Our board thought Smith was better than DF. He obviously thought he was. Yet we get relegated and he has to bring in a set piece coach. Give me strength. Everybody wonders why Sarge is given the short straw up front. Why does Sinani start tonights game ahead of Todd?

And to see the absolute shocking attitude of players just playing into the hands of Luton, while the coach argues with the 4th official on the touchline sums it up. I hate the phrase he has lost the dressing room but he certainly cannot motivate this squad.

12 minutes ago, Michael Starr said:

Smith out. Smith out. Smith out. Smith out. Smith out. Smith out. Smith out. Smith out. Smith out. Smith out. Smith out. Smith out. Smith out. Smith out. Smith out. Smith out. Smith out. Smith out. Smith out. Smith out. Smith out. Smith out. Smith out. Smith out. Smith out. Smith out. Smith out. Smith out. Smith out. Smith out. Smith out. Smith out. Smith out. Smith out. Smith out. Smith out. Smith out. Smith out. Smith out. Smith out. Smith out. Smith out. Smith out. Smith out. Smith out. Smith out. Smith out. Smith out. Smith out. Smith out. Smith out. Smith out. Smith out. Smith out. Smith out. Smith out. Smith out. Smith out. Smith out. Smith out. Smith out. Smith out. Smith out. Smith out. Smith out. Smith out. Smith out. Smith out. Smith out. Smith out. Smith out. Smith out. Smith out. Smith out. Smith out. Smith out. Smith out. Smith out. 

Unfortunately he won’t be going anywhere. Webber will not sack him as he did Farke to save his own a**e at this stage of the season!There is not a history of poor managers at NCFC being sacked, until it’s far too late. Ask Delia and MWJ!

1 minute ago, rock bus said:

Russell martin doing well at Swansea again…….take him over smith and I’m not even joking.

Would he want to downgrade his squad?

6 minutes ago, All the Germans said:

How exactly did it work out with someone else in charge?

A change was needed, to try and prevent us getting relegated. It didn’t work out… but it had to be tried. Farke was taking us down, and was past his sell by date. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, SwearyCanary said:

In a U turn worthy of Truss I’m joining the Smith out movement. I’ve been backing him, making excuses for him, blaming injuries and bad refereeing to help swallow the lack of enjoyment I’ve had with him at the helm and I’m embarrassed at how much I wanted it to work, so much I realised what I thought was going to happen tonight did happen and I enjoyed around 30 seconds of the match I’ve paid a lot of season ticket money to see. 
There’s supporting your team and then there’s blindly supporting your team and I’ve been blinded by vague hope that it will ‘come good’. Dean Smith seems nice, so I’m not going to slag him off, but I’ve seen enough aggy players to tell that his man management is not great and his team selections equally bad. The style, well this is the worst of it all and when it comes to leaving yet another game feeling like I haven’t enjoyed it then something is wrong. 

No more excuses, Smith is not right. We need to cut losses and get rid. It’s been a full seasons worth of games and enjoying the wins is scant consolation for never enjoying the 90 minutes which got there. 

SMITH OUT. 

PS - I was right about Cantwell being a pile of turd so take some comfort from my radar there. 

I’ll take Buh laughing at me with good grace. He has earned the right to mock 😂

1 minute ago, Creedence Clearwater Couto said:

The players have a lot to answer for.  

Pukki’s performances this season, and attitude (judging by his body language) is just not acceptable and something I’d never thought I’d say about a model pro. 

Smith is having to work with a demotivated squad with too much baggage from a couple of relegations. 

The last transfer window should have seen a big upheaval.. and we should’t have been spending huge money on the likes of Sara. Easy to say now, but why even take that risk. That £11 million could’ve bought have of Luton’s team tonight. 

Pukki is probably struggling for motivation, this was a risk when we did not let him go after all this years in Norwich. (we all can have motivation problems if we stay in the same job for many years)

My problem is that we have a manger that dont have a playing style that make it easy for the players to know what the other in the team are doing.

And he don't sign player for a style. It so much easier if you sign players for a stile like 4-3-3. 

And he don't know his best starting 11. 

Just now, Creedence Clearwater Couto said:

A change was needed, to try and prevent us getting relegated. It didn’t work out… but it had to be tried. Farke was taking us down, and was past his sell by date. 

So don't compound it. Get Smith out.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, rock bus said:

Me too. Has served his apprenticeship well, just as Delia wanted! Unfortunately cannot see Smith being relieved of his duties just yet!

As much as I don't like Smith and would never have employed him (and I repeat this a lot), making a change is only good if the change is for the better. I am not particularly knowledgeable about available managers, who would come here. Unless there is someone better to come in, sacking him doesn't help.

I would however wait for that good looking chap at Forest to get sacked and then get him.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Creedence Clearwater Couto said:

The players have a lot to answer for.  

Pukki’s performances this season, and attitude (judging by his body language) is just not acceptable and something I’d never thought I’d say about a model pro. 

Smith is having to work with a demotivated squad with too much baggage from a couple of relegations. 

The last transfer window should have seen a big upheaval.. and we should’t have been spending huge money on the likes of Sara. Easy to say now, but why even take that risk. That £11 million could’ve bought half of Luton’s team tonight. 

I think they're just not playing for him, he's lost the dressing room simple as that. When that happens there's only one outcome 

1 minute ago, Olano said:

Pukki is probably struggling for motivation, this was a risk when we did not let him go after all this years in Norwich. (we all can have motivation problems if we stay in the same job for many years)

My problem is that we have a manger that dont have a playing style that make it easy for the players to know what the other in the team are doing.

And he don't sign player for a style. It so much easier if you sign players for a stile like 4-3-3. 

And he don't know his best starting 11. 

I think Smiths ‘style’ or possibly lack of, is a bit of a red herring. 

The squad is overrated and not hungry. 

• Like 1

If Smith can’t get the squad of players which we have, playing better than we’ve watched all season, then he has to be sacked. Simple. Doesn’t his contract finish at the end of this season?

Edited by Top corner
  • Like 2

I'm not in the "Smith Out" wagon yet, but I do think he needs a fully fit Hayden and Sara together for a bit - as well as a fully fit left-back. I really do suspect Smith has asked for those two to be brought in as his primary weapons to make us more robust, and in those two providing a base, provides greater creativity as then you'd expect the likes of Giannoulis and Aarons in particular to be able to bomb on more. As those two should create space by stretching play, it should enable more creative players like Cantwell, Ramsay, Dowell or Sinani to be a more consistent threat. Otherwise, this is a side that missed Skipp and Buendia from the Championship-winning side last time, and they were probably our best two players! 

What is worrying me is a seeming inability to have a decent plan B in place. By all means play slowly in possession, but back it up with a change of pace, or faster interplay now and again. At the moment we're so one-paced in attack that teams can get back, park the bus and probably fit the immobiliser on before we shoot.

• Like 3