Just now, TheGunnShow said:

Exactly, it's basically the halo effect. I think some of us are panicking slightly and forgetting that it's usually very difficult to get back out of the Championship the season after being relegated into it. The fact that Farke did it so stylishly means many are using a far higher baseline than usual, and are agitated that we're not reaching such exceptional standards this time around.

That season had no resemblance to championship football.

Just now, nutty nigel said:

That season had no resemblance to championship football.

Do you think the lack of crowds made it easier for the lads then?

1 minute ago, TheGunnShow said:

I think it 100% helps explain our insanely good away record. 

Luton are a good side in really good form,  no team has scored first more often and that tonight could bring out the moans in the crowd. Add in a strong city luton connection (Morris, Lansbury starting, Jerome on the bench, Chapple on the scouting team) and a team that defends well by playing attacking football it should be a good game.

Agree that we need to be better in midfield than on sat,  both in the efforts to defend but especially on getting the ball to either sargeant or pukki who are making some great runs to little avail.  And the CBs really need to up their game after 5 goals let in in 2 games with far too many down to them rather than the full back of cm - they have been extremely lucky to escape criticism so far.  If we do apply and focus then we have a great chance show what a team we could become.

Score first and focus - can we do that?  COYY

• Like 1

Bad opening results, then an excellent run of wins but not convincing by any stretch of the imagination, now back to a mini-run of points being dropped.

I'm wavering with Smithball. It's hardly something to get thrilled about, after all.

We can turn it on, but spasmodically, so a bad showing tonight might well be a dose of dross too far.

Tonight's fixture has assumed added importance for me because of that. Lose and we are on a discernable slide.

I will not give a lacklustre, seemingly only half clued-up manager the benefit of the doubt much longer, despite a lofty league position. A position that many think is false in any case.

A few more bad results and even Wee Alex will have done no worse ... and he was soon on his bike.

Edited by BroadstairsR

2 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Not even in our leauge one season? Christ, were 3rd!

Yes we are indeed. But I have yet to be excited by a match at Carrow Road and it's been even worse away. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

I think lack of passionate supporters takes an enormous amount of pressure off players. Especially away from home. I remember us getting well beaten at Luton that season and there were only a few thousand (Luton finished 12th). But we also struggled to beat Sheff Wed at home with just a few thousand in the ground (Weds finished bottom).

Honestly, I'll think they'll do us, comfortably. I'm going 3-1 to Luton.

They are incredibly well drilled and playing good football with confidence. We'll come out of it with the lions share of the possession, and win on xG, and they'll punish us for sloppy mistakes and our general lethargy with goals on the counter offensive or from deep crosses to the back post.

I wouldn't bet £10 on us winning if I'd just found £200 on the floor (that analogy doesn't completely work, as I'd hand £200 in if I found that, could be somebodies rent money, but I can't think of a better one right now).

2 hours ago, Rottingdean canary said:

I predict Carlton Morris will be more of a threat than Jerome 

We're brilliant at helping goal shy strikers find their shooting boots though aren't we, along come Norwch.

1 hour ago, hogesar said:

Take it we're talking about Farke's last Championship season here, and not this season?

11th in the away table this season, grim.

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

2 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

God forbid we lose and slip into 4th or 5th in the table.

I mean, we're only not 5th on goal difference.

4 points above 11th with a run of Luton, Sheffield United and Burnley isn't a great place to find ourselves a quarter of the way through the season really is it.

2 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

We're 11th in the away table mate, not what I'd call "insanely good".

You are getting xG mixed up with reality again.

911227324_awaytable.PNG.8c81fa79af1fbed2cee35cfef47296d7.PNG

Hoggy was referring to the promotion season not this one.

The reverse argument is of course an empty FCR wasn't exactly a fortress. It was the same for all teams.

We basiccally outclassed every team outside the top 6, home or away.

For some reason we're not doing that this season.

2-1 Luton. We'll go 1-0 up from a Cantwell belter. They'll equalise in the 79th minute. We'll go hell for leather to win but they'll nick it in injury time with a header from Jerome.

We did out class them in empty stadiums where pure ability trumped all. Of course the opposite was true in the PL as both we and Sheff Utd found out. Games were like training games behind closed doors. Passionate support brings pressure, whether that be through spurring on or expectation. I can understand fans who just watch on tv not understanding that. But to go to games and not understand seems weird to me. Surely it's why we're there. Piped crowd noise can I suppose replicate spectators but has no chance of coming close to passionate supporters.

It's not the same for all it vastly favours the better teams.

2 hours ago, hogesar said:

Or spending peanuts the season before and then receiving a nice parachute payment? 

53 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Take it we're talking about Farke's last Championship season here, and not this season?

11th in the away table this season, grim.

Yes, Farke's last Championship season, when there were no fans. 

11 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Or spending peanuts the season before and then receiving a nice parachute payment? 

I'm not sure that helped the Championship season performance more, as had we spent more money on proven prem players but still gone down and kept them, it could have been even better. who knows.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

Hoggy was referring to the promotion season not this one.

The reverse argument is of course an empty FCR wasn't exactly a fortress. It was the same for all teams.

We basiccally outclassed every team outside the top 6, home or away.

For some reason we're not doing that this season.

Same for all teams, but certainly gave the better squads the advantage.

Equally, fans have made Carrow Road nothing like a fortress this season either! 🙂

Edited by hogesar
  • Like 1

Gonna be a 'Toight like a tiger' game.....2-2 full time schcore.....Pukster an' Sarge for us and Morris an' Camjam for them.....

Goldmember GIF | Gfycat

Tough game tonight. Norwich will have to raise the game throughout the team to come back with 3 points. People will be out for Dean if we lose tonight for sure unless he starts finding his feet quickly. 

So many midweek games coming up, my son and I have taken the difficult decision not to travel down from Birmingham, so consequently rest assured we will win somewhere between 6 and 10 nil.

I suspected Norwich wouldn't beat Watford because we were (and barring a miracle, still are) on a downward trajectory. Most of us can see the team is less-than-buoyant - and lots of things need to change. I predict another defeat simply because the other team are likely to be better organised with more motivation. Norwich 0-2 Luton. Hope I'm wrong!

4 minutes ago, Norfolk Mustard said:

I suspected Norwich wouldn't beat Watford because we were (and barring a miracle, still are) on a downward trajectory. Most of us can see the team is less-than-buoyant - and lots of things need to change. I predict another defeat simply because the other team are likely to be better organised with more motivation. Norwich 0-2 Luton. Hope I'm wrong!

Cover the pain factor and back Luton @10/3. 

9 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Indeed

Plenty of money can be made with a few of the predictions on here. As you say Luton 100/30. You can also get 10/1 Luton to score 3 goals or more ( plenty going for that ). Go a step further Luton to score 4 33/1.

4 hours ago, ZLF said:

Luton are a good side in really good form,  no team has scored first more often and that tonight could bring out the moans in the crowd. Add in a strong city luton connection (Morris, Lansbury starting, Jerome on the bench, Chapple on the scouting team) and a team that defends well by playing attacking football it should be a good game.

Agree that we need to be better in midfield than on sat,  both in the efforts to defend but especially on getting the ball to either sargeant or pukki who are making some great runs to little avail.  And the CBs really need to up their game after 5 goals let in in 2 games with far too many down to them rather than the full back of cm - they have been extremely lucky to escape criticism so far.  If we do apply and focus then we have a great chance show what a team we could become.

Score first and focus - can we do that?  COYY

Is Phil Chappell still with Luton worked for me when a schoolboy 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Good advice for those who are sure. Those who aren't quite sure could cover the draw and still  make shed loads.

You know it makes sense...