Sign in to follow this  
cambridgeshire canary

So our current average weekly player wage is £45,000..

More than doubled in a decade. Should we really be too surprised however given the current state of football compared to then and now? And anyone else getting the feeling that should we not go up this season we are going to see quite a lot of players leaving and presumably others getting wage cuts? For example it sure seems like a long time ago we signed Pukki and rumours were we were paying him between 5 and 10 grand a week..

FfRzf-9XwAEWlKE?format=png&name=medium

Edited by cambridgeshire canary

I believe the average Premier League wage is around 65 grand a week so that doesn't surprise me at all. Imagine our average was boosted quite significantly by the loanees, even nobodies at United will be earning 70+ grand a week and I'd assume Normann was out in Russia for the money.

I do seem to remember Webber mentioning that Emi Buendia's wage would have only gone from 15 to 30 last season. In the grand scheme of things maybe we should have just thrown the loanee money at Emi for another year.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, KeiranShikari said:

I believe the average Premier League wage is around 65 grand a week so that doesn't surprise me at all. Imagine our average was boosted quite significantly by the loanees, even nobodies at United will be earning 70+ grand a week and I'd assume Normann was out in Russia for the money.

I do seem to remember Webber mentioning that Emi Buendia's wage would have only gone from 15 to 30 last season. In the grand scheme of things maybe we should have just thrown the loanee money at Emi for another year.

Much as I do wish we woud have just paid Emi whatever he wanted to keep him for another year if what Webber said was true and Emi did indeed barge into his office and told him to his face he wanted to leave at the next transfer window or he would never play for us again I do feel the 'emi situation' was rather out of our control

What's most staggering is the inflation from the 19/20 figure. Not far off a 50% increase for the accumulation of just 1 point more. Bonkers.

Just now, Petriix said:

What's most staggering is the inflation from the 19/20 figure. Not far off a 50% increase for the accumulation of just 1 point more. Bonkers.

It is incredible but it makes sense. We didn't sign players first time around so it was mostly just the wage rises. A lot of our squad were young too so wouldn't have been on the gigabux yet.

4 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Much as I do wish we woud have just paid Emi whatever he wanted to keep him for another year if what Webber said was true and Emi did indeed barge into his office and told him to his face he wanted to leave at the next transfer window or he would never play for us again I do feel the 'emi situation' was rather out of our control

There's some truth to this but I wonder if he'd have been so against another year if we were going to pay him what other clubs in the league would.

Obviously then there are other things that come with smashing a wage structure but you know, it is what it is. 

14 minutes ago,  Petriix said: 

It is incredible but it makes sense. We didn't sign players first time around so it was mostly just the wage rises. A lot of our squad were young too so wouldn't have been on the gigabux yet.

The staggering thing is in that time there were no fans in the ground for 1 and a half seasons.

I don't pay the closest eye to the financial side but I do believe 'Covid black hole' was something like £35m. Presumably most of the Godfrey and Lewis money went into that.

Whilst there are big numbers on last year's sheet I don't think we're anywhere close to scary red lines. Then again, I don't pay the closest eye to the financial side. Maybe we're about to implode financially and we'll be being battered by the likes of Lincoln in a couple of years.

• Like 1

I assume 20 and 22 are EPL averages so no point comparing with other years. The hike in 22 compared to 20 obviously reflects the contracts we had to offer to get better quality, so not necessarily like for like. 

Being a yo-yo club there will obviously be a lot of noise in our numbers vs an established EPL or non promotion EFL club.

42 minutes ago, Petriix said:

There was a few contract renewals ahead of that season though if I remember rightly

We must not criticise the little darlings.

Blimey some have heard boos.

Then they had to have a set piece coach because they don't know how to mark players (they are in the different strip lads) or where to stand when its our corner.

They couldn't afford to only get 80% wages during lockdown whereas minimum wage earners had to make do.

They won't play for us again unless we give in to demands and forget who gave them their start.

Then they play too much but want to speak to the boss when they are dropped for a few games.

All that and then they are made to work weekends.

Mind you, they do applaud the crowd after a match so quid pro quo.

18 minutes ago, AJ said:

There was a few contract renewals ahead of that season though if I remember rightly

There’s more than a few who will never again earn a weekly wage like Norwich pay them. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KeiranShikari said:

There's some truth to this but I wonder if he'd have been so against another year if we were going to pay him what other clubs in the league would.

Obviously then there are other things that come with smashing a wage structure but you know, it is what it is. 

We also have to assume that they didn't try that with him either, especially once it was clear we were going back up. 

16 hours ago, KeiranShikari said:

I wouldn't wonder too long about it. His stock was high, and whatever the money, he was still getting offers from clubs with better prospects of surviving rather than being relegated, which is at least as big a factor as the money. 

Edited by littleyellowbirdie

6 minutes ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

I wouldn't wonder too long about it. His stock was high, and whatever the money, he was still getting offers from clubs with better prospects of surviving rather than being relegated, which is at least as big a factor as the money. 

Im hoping we reported them for taping up too

8 minutes ago, aBee said:

£45k a week average sounds rather high

Have your accounts been published yet?

Edited by Badger
Corrected spelling - which changed the meaning completely - our to your!

It won’t be the current average though will it? Relegation wage drops and the loanees going back will knock at least 10k off that.

This all demonstrates why Norwich are stuck in purgatory though. If they are serious about staying up then that figure needs to be more like £60k with Attanasio underwriting it if it goes **** up. It might even do the club good to not just go straight back up and have a proper rebuild a la Bournemouth.

• Like 2

From the Kieran Maguire thread:

"Biggest cost for a club is wages. Norwich did invest in players and overall increase to £118m a record for club and higher than Leeds, Brighton, Fulham etc the previous season."

Last year we had loads of our message board posters confidently informing us that the reason that we were failing was because we paid a pittance in wages.

42 minutes ago, Badger said:

From the Kieran Maguire thread:

"Biggest cost for a club is wages. Norwich did invest in players and overall increase to £118m a record for club and higher than Leeds, Brighton, Fulham etc the previous season."

Last year we had loads of our message board posters confidently informing us that the reason that we were failing was because we paid a pittance in wages.

Have you got the 21/22 graph Badger? 

1 hour ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Have you got the 21/22 graph Badger? 

No - it won't be available yet. Many clubs report using the standard financial year. I think that we are (one of?) the first to report.

20 minutes ago, Badger said:

No - it won't be available yet. Many clubs report using the standard financial year. I think that we are (one of?) the first to report.

What sort of excuse is that Badge. Just use xa and make something up that shows we're going to hell in a handcart. 🙃

36 minutes ago, Badger said:

Are you attending the match tonight? And are you confident? 

On the £45,000pw average wage, this should be considered a guestimate. What Kieran does is take total staff costs (i.e. for us, inclusive of loan fees, social security etc.), this is £118m for the year. He divides this by 52 weeks to give a weekly cost - £2.27m per week. He finally divides by a factor of c.49.7 - this gives an average pw salary of c.£45,000. The 49.7 factor is a rough figure he's come up with to convert a total staff cost for a whole football club into an approximate wage for the first team squad. From what Kieran has said, it is quite accurate for a lot of clubs but can be a bit high or low for clubs which have different staff structures, number of support staff etc.

The contingent transfer payments at c.£73m are the highest in club history. Contingent signing-on fees at £6.4m are only slightly higher than the average over the last 10 years of c.£5.5m. This reflects a few things: a general trend in football to transfers having more contingent elements (promotions, appearances etc.); signing younger players with more potential upside and a greater possibility of 'stretch' performance targets; paying money (i.e. transfers) for players compared to signing free agents; and Norwich actively seeking lower initial fees at the expense of higher contingent fees. For what it's worth, the signings of Sara, Nunez and Ramsey come with contingent payments of £4.5m depending on performance.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Badger said:

Have your accounts been published yet?

Not as far as I’m aware but from all the reports I’ve seen our top paid player last season barring Eriksen was Ajer on £35k a week. Toney and Raya on a bit less. Eriksen was on about £60k and was offered around £100k to sign a 3 year deal but obviously Man U blew that away. 

Our DoF said our PL wage bill would be likely to be a bit lower than our last Championship one including promotion bonuses and we were budgeting on finishing 20th (cf Forest this season, LOL). 

3 hours ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Are you attending the match tonight? And are you confident? 

Yes and Yes! 😃

2 hours ago, cornish sam said:

I think this is the one that is most surprising to me:

Good spot!

Am I right in interpreting this as "If certain conditions are met, we will have to pay an additional £73 million for the players that we have bought?" Presumably payment for staying up.

7 minutes ago, aBee said:

Not as far as I’m aware but from all the reports I’ve seen our top paid player last season barring Eriksen was Ajer on £35k a week. Toney and Raya on a bit less. Eriksen was on about £60k and was offered around £100k to sign a 3 year deal but obviously Man U blew that away. 

Our DoF said our PL wage bill would be likely to be a bit lower than our last Championship one including promotion bonuses and we were budgeting on finishing 20th (cf Forest this season, LOL). 

I was pretty certain that your wage budget would be lower than ours, but had trouble convincing some on here that we weren't lowest paying team in the PL. It will be interesting to see if you manage to keep it down - it sort of creeps up as you sign more players directly into the club whilst it's in the premier league.

1 hour ago, MrBunce said:

On the £45,000pw average wage, this should be considered a guestimate. What Kieran does is take total staff costs (i.e. for us, inclusive of loan fees, social security etc.), this is £118m for the year. He divides this by 52 weeks to give a weekly cost - £2.27m per week. He finally divides by a factor of c.49.7 - this gives an average pw salary of c.£45,000. The 49.7 factor is a rough figure he's come up with to convert a total staff cost for a whole football club into an approximate wage for the first team squad. From what Kieran has said, it is quite accurate for a lot of clubs but can be a bit high or low for clubs which have different staff structures, number of support staff etc.

The contingent transfer payments at c.£73m are the highest in club history. Contingent signing-on fees at £6.4m are only slightly higher than the average over the last 10 years of c.£5.5m. This reflects a few things: a general trend in football to transfers having more contingent elements (promotions, appearances etc.); signing younger players with more potential upside and a greater possibility of 'stretch' performance targets; paying money (i.e. transfers) for players compared to signing free agents; and Norwich actively seeking lower initial fees at the expense of higher contingent fees. For what it's worth, the signings of Sara, Nunez and Ramsey come with contingent payments of £4.5m depending on performance.

A point to note here is that if we get promoted, much of that £73m I assume crystallises in promotion bonuses and further payments to South America! That is nearly three quarters of the first years EPL TV money is already accounted for! How do you build a team for the challenge ahead on what is left! As I said in the accounts thread, these accounts demonstrate the club has next to no financial freedom if we get promoted to really set up for the challenge ahead. The latest accounts are a really depressing read if you are like me, someone who wants us to compete properly in the EPL.

3 minutes ago, Badger said:

Good spot!

Am I right in interpreting this as "If certain conditions are met, we will have to pay an additional £73 million for the players that we have bought?" Presumably payment for staying up.

Yeah I was wondering how much of that £73m would include fees we'd have had to pay for Normann and Kabak, along with various bonuses on other signings. £73m is a lot though!