Imo it would be a marauding, physical pacy three. We don't have a Sarr, but we do have Sargent and Idah who should be good at that combined with Pukki. So - 

Sargent Pukki Idah

Who we put behind those three is a big question, but who else would be better in the front three? Hernandez can be great out wide but anyone else?  Or are we still limited in the right kind of players for the system we want to play? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

All time - Gordon Sutton Eadie

Current - Onel Sargent Todd (The problem is it does not have a left footer, the right winger is not direct enough, and more importantly our best player is not in the side)

Edited by Newtopia

I don't get that at all LDC. Three in the middle isn't working at the moment. The service Teemu has been getting is not what he thrives on. And Sarge is being wasted when he is obviously turning his game around and becoming our No 1 striker.

The way we linked for our disallowed goal on Saturday makes me want to see Sarge taking the middle and Teemu the channel runs.

I would like to see Onel-Hayden-Sara-Todd as a midfield four.

3 hours ago, lake district canary said:

Imo it would be a marauding, physical pacy three. We don't have a Sarr, but we do have Sargent and Idah who should be good at that combined with Pukki. So - 

Sargent Pukki Idah

Who we put behind those three is a big question, but who else would be better in the front three? Hernandez can be great out wide but anyone else?  Or are we still limited in the right kind of players for the system we want to play? 

All centre forwards! Your choice is even worse than Smith’s ffs! 

You really come out with some gems 🤣🤣🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Agreed. it works for the top teams and is en vogue at present, especially on the continent, but neither Man City OR Liverpool played 433 yesterday and I cant see us getting in the Europa League any time soon. You have to be adaptable these days, but for a start against most teams in this league, WE have to be the ones pushing and on the front foot, and 4231 suits us and our players more than 433 does.

Pains me to say it but I don't think the squad is structured to play 4-3-3. The lack of pace and wide players is causing the rather pedestrian performances.

Assuming everybody fit and on form I would suggest our best team would be:

Krul

Aarons  Hanley  Omobamideli  Giannoulis

Nunez  Hayden  Sara

Sargent    Pukki     Cantwell

• Like 2

I actually like the diamond formation any two of Idah, Pukki and Josh up top. Cantwell or Dowell or Ramsay at no 10. Nunez and Sara either side Hayden holding full backs pushing on.

7 hours ago, TheBaldOne66 said:

All centre forwards! Your choice is even worse than Smith’s ffs! 

You really come out with some gems 🤣🤣🤣

You can mock if you like, but you really don't have to look far to see how Sargent and Idah  have been utilised as wide players in their careers, Sargent at Werder before Norwich and idah at Norwich - indeed most of Idah's appearances have been as a sub out wide.  Just because you label them "centre forwards" doesn't mean they can't do anything else.

All time;

Bellamy, Sutton, Eadie

Now;

I don't know. Pukki and Sargent but none of the others really...

Edited by All the Germans

This / Doesn't / Work

We've not got the squad for it. Smith needs to see that and play something that does until we have the players for it. 

15 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Idah is not a winger. Would rather play him in a two up top with Pukki but sadly with Sargent stuck on the wings too seems this is never gonna happen

Idah  played on the right of a front three age 12-16 and quite often for Ireland under age teams.

Edited by wcorkcanary

6 hours ago, lake district canary said:

You can mock if you like, but you really don't have to look far to see how Sargent and Idah  have been utilised as wide players in their careers, Sargent at Werder before Norwich and idah at Norwich - indeed most of Idah's appearances have been as a sub out wide.  Just because you label them "centre forwards" doesn't mean they can't do anything else.

And have they been seen at their best?

No,

They've been round pegs in square holes because they've not been deemed good enough to be the No.9 and because we haven't had the personnel to play an effective wide game.

This has also been hindered by having no fit natural LB and the regression of Max.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, BroadstairsR said:

Sutton, Ekoku, Fox.

Damn, you beat me to it! Was there ever a better front 3? Remember how we demolished Everton 5-1 away … AWAY! And Ekoku scored FOUR goals! If only we could have kept that team 😭

2 hours ago, Canary Jedi said:

Damn, you beat me to it! Was there ever a better front 3? Remember how we demolished Everton 5-1 away … AWAY! And Ekoku scored FOUR goals! If only we could have kept that team 😭

My best memory of that forward line was when I went once to watch the team at White Hart Lane with a Spurs supporting friend. I never bet on football results, but he always did, and we therefore visited a bookie near the ground before the game.

Just for the crack (and full of Fuller's), I had £10 on City to win 3-1 without expecting a return. Result 1-3 and a massive payout.

Right until the last minute of the game, my friend was spurring his team on, even for one more home goal to make it more respectable (it was a bit of a siege) and I remember calling him a cnut, many times, for wishing my winnings away.

Our attack force was superb that (Boxing?) day.

Footnote: Foxy eventually ended up at Tottenham (£4m+, their second-highest outlay at the time) after a decent but short spell at Newcastle.

The same friend didn't rate him at all, "He can't put in a decent cross."

Eh?

(Keegan had previously described him as the best player in his position (winger) in the country.)

Horses for courses, I suppose.

Edited by BroadstairsR
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, lake district canary said:

Don't get me wrong, I can see the rationale behind what you're saying. But Sargent played through the middle is galaxies different to winger Sargent.

Not only does playing JS wide stunt his own productivity, it also affects Pukki as that inside-right space is where he often  looks for service.

By far our current, most effective set-up would be with legs in the middle, technical players ahead of them feeding one of our forwards.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Mason 47 said:

Don't get me wrong, I can see the rationale behind what you're saying. But Sargent played through the middle is galaxies different to winger Sargent.

Not only does playing JS wide stunt his own productivity, it also affects Pukki as that inside-right space is where he often  looks for service.

By far our current, most effective set-up would be with legs in the middle, technical players ahead of them feeding one of our forwards.

Josh is dangerous when he cuts in from the left wing and has already scored a few goals doing that. Unfortunately it's not enough to change or dominate a game and as you say results in near zero service to Pukki.

We could play Josh through the middle but he's likely to suffer the same lack of service plus you then lose the goal threat as mentioned above.

It all feels a bit of a mess at the moment and 14 games in you would have thought it would be much better by now.

20 hours ago, Newtopia said:

All time - Gordon Sutton Eadie

Current - Onel Sargent Todd (The problem is it does not have a left footer, the right winger is not direct enough, and more importantly our best player is not in the side)

anyone who thinks sargent over pukki needs their head testing

1 hour ago, Capt. Pants said:

Josh is dangerous when he cuts in from the left wing and has already scored a few goals doing that. Unfortunately it's not enough to change or dominate a game and as you say results in near zero service to Pukki.

We could play Josh through the middle but he's likely to suffer the same lack of service plus you then lose the goal threat as mentioned above.

I felt earlier in the season we looked better with more creators behind the striker.

Sargent is a goal threat yes but a creator he is not. For better or worse, he's a bit of a 'dead end' player (as in the ball ends up dead or turned over in some way more often than not) which means our not-very-defensive midfield and fullbacks spend more time doing what they aren't as good at.

For me it comes down to- would you rather have one goalscorer and a greater potential to create chances, or more goalscorers with a lesser potential to create? Personally, the former.

Lets go bold I say. 

Krul

Omobamidele  Hanley    Gibson

Aarons          Sara          Hayden         Hernandez/McLean

Nunez

Sargent     Pukki