Absolutely awful. 1st goal tonight? Couldn't even see him anywhere. Not good enough. Really shouldve got cover in that area.

1 hour ago, Ward 3 said:

Absolutely awful. 1st goal tonight? Couldn't even see him anywhere. Not good enough. Really shouldve got cover in that area.

A bit extreme there because he'd done well overall since he came back from that long lay-ff caused by a very bad injury,

His recovery has been a welcome surprise.

There's clearly a footballer there, previous Championship player of the month, rated at Leeds and Spam eventually paid a lot for him and gave him a long contract,

The criticism is valid regards some defensive shortcomings that he might possess; but that seems to be the case with so many full-backs in today's game, and even of those selected for England. As for City, perhaps we could label similar criticism against both Aarons and Gianoullis and may be all of our candidates for the position to a greater or lesser extent.

Interestingly, my commentary yesterday with McCarthy as pundit highlighted the Aarons/Sarr duel and mentioned that Aarons' need to go forward might give Sarr more freedom. Perhaps this was the case with Watford's second. Perhaps not.

The reason? They are now wing-backs and considered important cogs in any side's attacking prowess. That this should denigrate defensive performances is obvious.

A wing-back can never be a full-back in the traditional sense of that role, and Byram is no exception.

Edited by BroadstairsR

Someone who spent over a year injured with an injury that almost ended his career and is playing out of position and is normally just a backup might not be playing well? Say it anit so

Edited by cambridgeshire canary
  • Confused 1

He was rubbish including when he was switched to right back. No attacking threat at all. Not his fault though that he’s not a left back. I can’t stand watching him turn back inside every time: can’t wait for Dimi to be back. 

• Like 1

Byram wasn't awful last night. Look at how good Sarr was 1st half, he absolutely tore us apart.

What did he do second half? Diddly squat, because Byram had him tied up. But people don't notice that side of the game. 

• Like 2

All of a sudden our lb and RB positions which have over the last 5 - 10 years been fan favourites or just plain quality have suddenly both become crap.

Now either they have regressed as footballers or its the tactics.

Any coincidence that calamity Kenny looks the business at lb?

Smith's tactics whatever they are , slowly killing our players and identity.

I appreciate being at a game you sometimes get things wrong, but I thought being there last night in the first half Sarr tore Aaron’s apart. In the second half Byram went over to right back and Sarr didn’t get a kick. Like I say being there I may have got that totally wrong, so apologies if I did.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Well b back said:

I appreciate being at a game you sometimes get things wrong, but I thought being there last night in the first half Sarr tore Aaron’s apart. In the second half Byram went over to right back and Sarr didn’t get a kick. Like I say being there I may have got that totally wrong, so apologies if I did.

I think that is why they swapped. Max wasn't doing to good against Sarr.

35 minutes ago, Well b back said:

This is exactly what happened; however, people are being too simplistic. Because both goals came with space at the far post, in theory where Byram should have been, they think, "Oh, that's Byram's fault".

It's not the case, for the first goal Byram was sticking to his man after our set piece broke down and Watford started to counter. He looked to return to the left back position but as they sent numbers down the right, he had to stay there to mark Watford's number 14. It was a complete failure of the midfield to cover and then Dowell and Hanley failing to communicate that left the Watford player entirely and inexcusably unmarked in our own box.

The second goal was scored by Hanley's man. Byram stuck to his man, number 12. After Sarr had made Aarons and Dowell look silly, Hanley started ball-watching and was completely unaware as to where the man he was marking was. Again, it led to a player completely unmarked in the box.

Byram was not to blame for either goal. Hanley was probably the most culpable player for both of them.

• Like 1

We need to get real this is not a top 6 side at the moment whether things will change remains to be seen

Disgusting that a Premiership team last season has struggled against some of the poorest sides in this league 

11 hours ago, Deptford Yellow said:

He had a very good stint at left back in the prem keeping Jamal out of the team ….

Can’t help but wonder if he’s past his best now …..

One injury too many I'm afraid. Shame as he could clearly have had a long prem career with West Ham if his body held up.

Got a few years left playing for somebody, but don't think it's at this end of the Championship anymore.

2 hours ago, canarydan23 said:

This is exactly what happened; however, people are being too simplistic. Because both goals came with space at the far post, in theory where Byram should have been, they think, "Oh, that's Byram's fault".

It's not the case, for the first goal Byram was sticking to his man after our set piece broke down and Watford started to counter. He looked to return to the left back position but as they sent numbers down the right, he had to stay there to mark Watford's number 14. It was a complete failure of the midfield to cover and then Dowell and Hanley failing to communicate that left the Watford player entirely and inexcusably unmarked in our own box.

The second goal was scored by Hanley's man. Byram stuck to his man, number 12. After Sarr had made Aarons and Dowell look silly, Hanley started ball-watching and was completely unaware as to where the man he was marking was. Again, it led to a player completely unmarked in the box.

Byram was not to blame for either goal. Hanley was probably the most culpable player for both of them.

I fully agree with you, it appears that many people watch the game but see very little. 

• Like 1