Google Bot

Isaac Hayden - First appearance

Couldn't see a topic based on Hayden, which is a shame as probably lost in the noise of the game.

Felt he looked pretty good, what was evident was his communication and desire to command players around him to pick up opposition players.  We've got no-one vocal who looks to lead in that way, so very promising to see that.

Also, he had to extend himself in a foot race second half, and didn't shy out of going to ground to make the tackle.  Was good to see after a long time out injured.  Certainly didn't strike me as being a crooked player, which is the concern.

Think he deserves a mention really. 👍

• Like 4

Well, it's finally happened. The saviour has finally turned out for the first team.

His performance was quite reserved, but that was  to be expected, but he showed enough to demonstrate the very best is yet to come, unless he breaks his big toe the first time he starts😉 

The Messiah has finally arrived! All our troubles will now be gone.

The proof is there - we have yet to concede a goal whilst Hayden is on the pitch…..

• Haha 2

Thought if you consider he hasn’t played football in nearly a year, and given the the standard of opposition, he looked class.

His tracking back and just general calmness on the ball was exactly what we have been crying out for.

• Like 3

As I said on another thread you can see that he is a long way from match fit, but can also see what he will bring in terms of calmness, organisation, physicality and just being in the right place to snuff things out. 

Pinged a couple of decent long passes as well which was nice.

Encouraging.

He looked good and it was the one encouraging thing the way he sat in the hole in front of the defence, covered back and generally organised things. He and Dimi will make a difference. But it’s damning that he’s the only player in the squad we have who can do that and he was injured when we brought him in. 

Encouraging start indeed.

Slightly concerning that even at 75% fit he's already our best midfielder.

It's really quite alarming now poor we are in that area. Hopefully Isaac can help organise that better.

How fickle we all are lol. I agree, great to see him on the field and looked very good. But ........Gibbs after one bad game is out now? Looked class a few times this season. I know he's young and will learn from players like Hayden. Let's not put all eggs in a Hayden shaped basket

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, RugbyCanary said:

How fickle we all are lol. I agree, great to see him on the field and looked very good. But ........Gibbs after one bad game is out now? Looked class a few times this season. I know he's young and will learn from players like Hayden. Let's not put all eggs in a Hayden shaped basket

Start them both as a 2 in a 4231 

Gibbs Hayden 

Nunez.               Pukki.           Hernandez 

Sargent 

• Like 4

He looked good and should have more to show when match fit but let's be honest, he came on when Watford were letting us have the ball and sitting in to protect the game. He is a player in a position we need but let's give him time before we all claim he's the next Kante. 

39 minutes ago, Hucks6 said:

McLean should be nowhere near this team drop him for Hayden

I do get the feeling that if we don't go up we wil lose a lot of players and that Pukki and McLean will be among them

McLean needs to be at LB, Byram needs to be rested.

That of course relies on Hayden not having an adverse reaction to his 45 mins yesterday. 

Pukki's best work was when he drifted out wide but through the middle Sargent is our main goal scoring threat.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Capt. Pants said:

McLean needs to be at LB, Byram needs to be rested.

That of course relies on Hayden not having an adverse reaction to his 45 mins yesterday. 

Pukki's best work was when he drifted out wide but through the middle Sargent is our main goal scoring threat.

Giannoulis needs to be back at LB. Byram and Nunez need time on the bench. Dowell is either a 10 or a 0.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

'His desire to command players around him'

You saying McLean doesn't do the same with his nonstop silent pointing?

McLean's is more retrospective blame - or at least highlighting where people need to be covering for him when he is caught wandering - than constructive advice ...

But that said, people should remember that Kenny wasn't signed as a defensive midfielder and really doesn't have the mentality or positional discipline for it.  We have just tried to shoehorn him in there in the absence of anyone else.  See also Sargent at wide right...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Capt. Pants said:

Pukki's best work was when wide but through the middle Sargent is our main goal scoring threat.

Been saying this for a while now ...

What is all this bigging up of Giannoulus.  Been unavailablre therfore is a  quality LB.  He certainly isn't ok at LWB maybe but poor defensively.  Possibly up to Byram at LB which is nothing special.  First Watford goal was scored where Byram should have been as was West Brom goal.  Need LB who can defend properly if back 4.  Looked like Omabamidele injured himself Gibson back in time for Burnley. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Barham Blitz said:

McLean's is more retrospective blame - or at least highlighting where people need to be covering for him when he is caught wandering - than constructive advice ...

But that said, people should remember that Kenny wasn't signed as a defensive midfielder and really doesn't have the mentality or positional discipline for it.  We have just tried to shoehorn him in there in the absence of anyone else.  See also Sargent at wide right...

And he rarely plays that role.

The starting line up was criticised for including McLean and Dowell. But it turned out the problem was Gibbs and Nunez.

Totally amazed that we brought on Hayden. I can't think of another city manager who would have done that without playing minutes for the U23s. Just shows what Smith actually thinks of the midfield options available to him.

Will we see him again on Tuesday? If so let's hope it's the first 45 minutes.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

And he rarely plays that role.

The starting line up was criticised for including McLean and Dowell. But it turned out the problem was Gibbs and Nunez.

Totally amazed that we brought on Hayden. I can't think of another city manager who would have done that without playing minutes for the U23s. Just shows what Smith actually thinks of the midfield options available to him.

Will we see him again on Tuesday? If so let's hope it's the first 45 minutes.

Yes, he has to start. To be honest, I thought when Dowell played central he looked good. Set up the goal and second half played a couple of passes through the defence which are what Teemu thrives on. The disallowed goal being a lovely move by all involved.

And Todd was unlucky wit ha sublime ball that was just intercepted. Its players like that with the vision which are needed. And dare I say, a midfield four and not three.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

I do get the feeling that if we don't go up we wil lose a lot of players and that Pukki and McLean will be among them

I'd be happy if we lose alot of players even if we do go up. What we have have already proven they aren't up to scratch in the top tier. 

The overhaul was due in the summer just gone. Cycles come and go in football and we're at the point in ours where we need real fresh blood. 

We should already have upgraded on a few of our players and to still be relying on temmu 4 years later is a travesty really.

Edited by GodlyOtsemobor

1 hour ago, GodlyOtsemobor said:

We should already have upgraded on a few of our players and to still be relying on temmu 4 years later is a travesty really.

But we're not relying on just Teemu are we? Josh has really stepped on this season and we've had goals from elsewhere too. The four years Teemu has been with us , he's been generally excellent, except when flogged out or like when he was carrying that toe injury. Josh does a lot of the hard running for him up front now. .... extending Teemus energy use in games.    

21 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

But we're not relying on just Teemu are we? Josh has really stepped on this season and we've had goals from elsewhere too. The four years Teemu has been with us , he's been generally excellent, except when flogged out or like when he was carrying that toe injury. Josh does a lot of the hard running for him up front now. .... extending Teemus energy use in games.    

Then we need to stop shoe horning pukki into the team to the detriment of Sarge

8 minutes ago, GodlyOtsemobor said:

Then we need to stop shoe horning pukki into the team to the detriment of Sarge

Not necessarily.... As a two, they're fine, Sarge on the left works too,on the right not so much. They'd also work as an interchangeable 1 - 1 , or sarge up top and Pukki at 10.  

I get the feeling you don't rate the Pukkster . 

• Like 2

Hayden Sara

Sinani Dowell Cantwell

Sargent

Would be what I go for on Tuesday. IMO our most 'effective' performances this year were when we had technical players supplying Sargent.

Dowell and Sinani get a bad rap from most but they have a habit of appearing in goalscoring moves. 

This and we clearly need a shakeup, I've been calling for it since Reading.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, GodlyOtsemobor said:

Start them both as a 2 in a 4231 

Gibbs Hayden 

Nunez.               Pukki.           Hernandez 

Sargent 

Nunez isn't a wide player. I'd have Cantwell left and Hernandez or Sinani right. Otherwise the same.

We really are lacking quality and competition in the wide areas while having a glut of 8s and 10s with just one 6 (who's only just getting fit).

34 minutes ago, Petriix said:

Nunez isn't a wide player. I'd have Cantwell left and Hernandez or Sinani right. Otherwise the same.

We really are lacking quality and competition in the wide areas while having a glut of 8s and 10s with just one 6 (who's only just getting fit).

I'd like to see Cantwell get a few games too. I don't think either of Onel or Sinani is the answer. There's a bit of a dilemma imo at the moment with starting both Pukki & Sargent. It's not really working. If we can call on both Gibbs & Hayden in the engine room now with Sara & McLean also available, that should (in theory) solidify the middle areas and better shield the exposed back 4. Hopefully Giannoulis can find some form too. The team should be better balanced, be quicker on the counter and press more effectively.

3 CBs seems unlikely so perhaps a 4-3-3 like:

Gibbs     Hayden     McLean

Dowell    Sargent     Cantwell

(Pukki, Nunez, Sara & Onel off the bench)

or a 4-2-3-1 (or 4-3-2-1 if Nunez drops deeper)

Gibbs     Hayden

Sargent     Nunez     Cantwell

Pukki

If the likes of Idah, Rowe & Lungi can regain fitness, this should give further options too. With games coming thick & fast, perhaps Sarge & Pukki should be rotated to keep them both fresh and on their toes? If we can get a bit of luck with injuries for a while, we should have a very strong bench which will certainly be worth a few points. Nothing like a few late equalisers & winners to galvanise the group and point the ship in the right direction!

13 hours ago, Capt. Pants said:

Encouraging start indeed.

Slightly concerning that even at 75% fit he's already our best midfielder.

It's really quite alarming now poor we are in that area. Hopefully Isaac can help organise that better.

Weren't you telling everyone he wouldn't bee seen until after the world cup?