A Load of Squit

Chelsea talking to Webber

I just can’t see how Webber’s job is tenable anymore. He doesn’t want to be here. Time to look elsewhere and part company.

That said, I feel this is just paper talk and he has little chance of getting the job. A bit like Russell Martin to Brighton…

Exciting times. New owners soon Eg the Americans and a new direction. I can’t wait, because I find the present yo yo direction (and Smith).. rather boring.

30 minutes ago, yellow_belly said:

I just can’t see how Webber’s job is tenable anymore. He doesn’t want to be here. Time to look elsewhere and part company.

That said, I feel this is just paper talk and he has little chance of getting the job. A bit like Russell Martin to Brighton…

Exciting times. New owners soon Eg the Americans and a new direction. I can’t wait, because I find the present yo yo direction (and Smith).. rather boring.

He was always open that he had ambitions to move on up from when he first joined. I was surprised when he committed to a new three year contract in 2019.

Edited by littleyellowbirdie

45 minutes ago, canarycop said:

Wasn't Rob Newman at a City game a little while back. He could be a good appointment should Webber leave. Experience at West Ham and may be up for a new challenge as a Sporting Director as opposed to current head of recruitment role.

This is confusing, posters saying Adams (who has been working with Webber) is inexperienced but Newman is OK even though he's currently never been a SD.

• Like 1

Just catching up after a night out watching Roxy Music over in Manchester, so was caught out by this news. My thoughts below.

I can't see Webber being that content at being one of 3 in charge of team affairs.He strikes me as being someone who sees themselves as top dog. Much will depend on what Chelsea have promised the other two post holders. Would they welcome playing 2nd fiddle to Webber? 

I'm also still trying to figure out what this means for his ascent on Everest. Could he sign up to take on the role at Chelsea only after that project is complete? I can't see that myself.

As far as succession is concerned, the climbing project was always going to allow the club to test aspects of this (is there a true internal candidate for the role?). 

Key to the future is Attanasio and his team's view on things. Do they have expertise of football recruitment in their portfolio that they can recommend. Or is their view that all you need is a good recruiter who uses the skill base reporting to him (an analytical and data driven approach is what we are told has been their approach, very similar by all accounts to Webber's)? I can see a non-football appointment being made to replace Webber should he leave, possibly from over the pond!

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Bonzo said:

Sam Jeffrey's job is responsible for all revenue generating areas of the club i.e. ticket sales, sponsorship and the commercial operations related to the ground. The Sporting Director is responsible for budgeting and planning for all player related commercial activities such as negotiation of player contracts signing players and so on (spending the money or most of it).

The Sporting Director is also a pretty big beast in the context of his or her responsibility in facing off to the owners and Directors of the business. It is a board level position. The daily activities will entail commercially related discussions with Board members. This person needs to be on a par with a commercially astute Board member in order to have any credibility in the role. 

Previously you stated that Adams had 'no commercial experience at the level required' but he's been working with Webber who presumably does.

Are you saying that when these aspects of the role have taken place he's not been involved? I've not been there when they've been doing their jobs but I'd be surprised if Adams wasn't involved. How many transfers/transfer windows do you have to be involved in to understand 'budgeting and planning for all player related commercial activities such as negotiation of player contracts signing players and so on'?

Do they make Adams leave the room 'cos big numbers confuse him?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, shefcanary said:

Just catching up after a night out watching Roxy Music over in Manchester, so was caught out by this news. My thoughts below.

I can't see Webber being that content at being one of 3 in charge of team affairs.He strikes me as being someone who sees themselves as top dog. Much will depend on what Chelsea have promised the other two post holders. Would they welcome playing 2nd fiddle to Webber? 

I'm also still trying to figure out what this means for his ascent on Everest. Could he sign up to take on the role at Chelsea only after that project is complete? I can't see that myself.

As far as succession is concerned, the climbing project was always going to allow the club to test aspects of this (is there a true internal candidate for the role?). 

Key to the future is Attanasio and his team's view on things. Do they have expertise of football recruitment in their portfolio that they can recommend. Or is their view that all you need is a good recruiter who uses the skill base reporting to him (an analytical and data driven approach is what we are told has been their approach, very similar by all accounts to Webber's)? I can see a non-football appointment being made to replace Webber should he leave, possibly from over the pond!

I just don't see what Attanasio brings to the table. We are already using the data driven approach which in any case is flawed because it does not pick up the intangible skills such as vision and awareness. Also, Attanasio by all accounts is not going to throw hundreds of millions at it, so where is the value that he adds? The club has not changed in the slightest and no glass ceiling will be broken through until such time as the club realises that unless it starts to pay players upwards of £100,000 per week the EPL is realistically out of reach. End of.

Webber would be out of his depth at Chelsea and would be a classic case of somebody being promoted beyond their capability. I can't believe they would even consider him. There is no way they would stand for his current attitude, where our board in effect sanction his obnoxious and hostile attitude towards fans and local media, while supporting his 'personal journey'. Maybe he wasn't breast fed enough as a child - who knows?

Many would argue he has gone as far as he can here and if Chelsea really wanted him, he would go with my best wishes. However, he is certainly somebody I would not miss for one split second which is a shame as originally he started out so well but self importance got the better of him, though the majority shareholders - not for the first time - allowed that to happen. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, komakino said:

Webber would be out of his depth at Chelsea and would be a classic case of somebody being promoted beyond their capability. I can't believe they would even consider him. There is no way they would stand for his current attitude, where our board in effect sanction his obnoxious and hostile attitude towards fans and local media, while supporting his 'personal journey'. Maybe he wasn't breast fed enough as a child - who knows?

Many would argue he has gone as far as he can here and if Chelsea really wanted him, he would go with my best wishes. However, he is certainly somebody I would not miss for one split second which is a shame as originally he started out so well but self importance got the better of him, though the majority shareholders - not for the first time - allowed that to happen. 

You sound just as crazy as Big Vince.

Of course we also need to consider the long term plans of the potential new owners, maybe they have someone in mind, it might be very good for everyone if Webber gets his big move, he’s done a great job in his time and a fresh focused new DOF might be what this club needs to kick start the atmosphere…..but I just can’t see Chelsea wanting Webber with their status.

4 minutes ago, yellow_belly said:

Do we actually need a DoF?

We have a Finance Director thats Anthony Richens

19 minutes ago, yellow_belly said:

Do we actually need a DoF?

A question best answered by Dean Smith! My view is that he would be better off without one.

While I'm not against a D.o.F, they don't work for me when they buy players that the manager doesn't want or had no say in. However if they work together with the manager at all times and only make purchases that they are both happy with - something that didn't happen in Farke's final season for example - then they can be an asset to the club. 

Edited by komakino

14 minutes ago, Diane said:

We have a Finance Director thats Anthony Richens

I think he means Director of Football

17 hours ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

Not that I'd imagine him leaving BM any time soon, but hadn't Daniel Farke originally had his eye on being a Sporting Director? 

Yep, was in an Athletic article way back - he did pretty much everything when he was at Lippstadt and before he moved to Dortmund.

Time to move on now Stu you've peaked....

Now let's bring in the next candidate who hopefully enjoys time off to participate in the 'Iditarod Trail Sled Dog Race' held in Alaska....and who probably shouts commands to the sled dogs in a deep 'Husky' voice....

I'm pretty sure our current majority shareholding duo will give the next DoF their blessing and time away to pursue their outside interests and pastimes..... 

Sacking Farke for Webber kind of undermined one of the key virtues of the structure, virtues that the club publicly extolled. The idea was that it allowed a structure and culture to survive the removal and/or departure of head coaches. However, Webber threw that out of the window when he ditched Farke for a coach completely at odds with the existing footballing philosophy. 

So if the desire for a consistent philosophy has been abandoned, that leaves the DoF having to rely on his recruitment to prove his worth.

Oh dear.

1 minute ago, canarydan23 said:

Sacking Farke for Webber kind of undermined one of the key virtues of the structure, virtues that the club publicly extolled. The idea was that it allowed a structure and culture to survive the removal and/or departure of head coaches. However, Webber threw that out of the window when he ditched Farke for a coach completely at odds with the existing footballing philosophy. 

So if the desire for a consistent philosophy has been abandoned, that leaves the DoF having to rely on his recruitment to prove his worth.

Oh dear.

The SD/DOF is allowed to change the philosophy if they don't think it's working.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, shefcanary said:

I don't want to take this off topic, but how were Roxy Music?

6 minutes ago, Wings of a Sparrow said:

Same old scene......

2 hours ago, Big Vince said:

We are already using the data driven approach which in any case is flawed because it does not pick up the intangible skills such as vision and awareness.

Vision and awareness are obviously important. Where their importance translates into tangible effectiveness it shows up precisely in the data collected by this approach. If it didn't, vision and awareness would be entirely irrelevant. Try using that brain once in a while.

20 minutes ago, A Load of Squit said:

The SD/DOF is allowed to change the philosophy if they don't think it's working.

Then we can chalk that one up as a balls up as well, can't we?

56 minutes ago, Wings of a Sparrow said:

Much better than I expected. Played some "unexpected" songs from the back catalogue (Re-Make/Re-Model, The Bogus Man for instance), so appealed to people who were there from the beginning to those who only like Ferry at his sauvest! Obviously for blokes in their 70's the four original stalwarts were not running around the stage, but they certainly gave their all in the intensity of their delivery. A great night out and something for everyone, even if everyone is 50 plus!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Big Vince said:

I just don't see what Attanasio brings to the table. We are already using the data driven approach which in any case is flawed because it does not pick up the intangible skills such as vision and awareness. Also, Attanasio by all accounts is not going to throw hundreds of millions at it, so where is the value that he adds? The club has not changed in the slightest and no glass ceiling will be broken through until such time as the club realises that unless it starts to pay players upwards of £100,000 per week the EPL is realistically out of reach. End of.

Aye, money talks and all that, I guess you won't trust any friend of Delia from putting in bucket loads of cash. I see further investment from the americans being a slow burner, probably restricted to assisting in the improvement of spectator facilities, I'll agree it is unlikely to impact that much on playing budget. But I still think Attanasio and his chums will spring a surprise or two on the player management of the club at some point, which once they are appointed we can argue about again on here.

Edited by shefcanary

49 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

Then we can chalk that one up as a balls up as well, can't we?

The change in philosophy happened before the start of last season, Farke was sacked after failing to produce results.

10 minutes ago, repman said:

The change in philosophy happened before the start of last season, Farke was sacked after failing to produce results.

Farke and the EPL is an era best to forget, but in his defence he told Webber the players he bought in his last season weren't good enough (for the EPL) and I think everyone can agree on that. 

4 hours ago, A Load of Squit said:

You sound just as crazy as Big Vince.

But people who were weaned too early do grow into maladjusted adults.