A Load of Squit

Chelsea talking to Webber

It's good to talk. Note it says 'spoken', Bailey reporting that it has happened.

https://theathletic.com/3682935/2022/10/12/chelsea-stuart-webber/?source=emp_shared_article

Chelsea have spoken to Norwich City’s Stuart Webber.

Todd Boehly has previously looked to bring Christopher Vivell, the former RB Leizpig technical director, into Stamford Bridge. And he is continuing his restructure behind the scenes by looking at Webber.

Webber be like "I'm up a mountain at the moment bit busy". Chelsea be like "No problem the helicopter will be there in 10minutes and we'll have you dropped off by supper time. We promote remote working."

• Haha 1

The question is, do we have a succession plan?

Webber, in the past, has said he wouldn't leave Delia and Michael in the lurch.

Be interesting if he's true to his word.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Pyro Pete said:

The question is, do we have a succession plan?

Webber, in the past, has said he wouldn't leave Delia and Michael in the lurch.

Be interesting if he's true to his word.

Wasn’t Neil Adams the succession plan or did I make that up ? 

Edited by Ashwood
  • Like 2

Slightly worrying as Webber is the dog' b0llocks as far as Attanasio is concerned. We don't want anything to derail that.

1 minute ago, Ashwood said:

Wasn’t Neil Adams the succession plan or did I make that up ? 

Can't remember the job title but he was something along the lines of assistant technical director. He's probably next in line.

Hopefully we'll be looking a bit further than  just appointing Adams if Webber leaves

There are so many young sporting directors around these days that would bring in fresh ideas

I  would hope we'd at least interview people properly and see what ideas people have to take the club forward 

• Like 1

Just now, Worthy Nigelton said:

Non-plussed at this. There's a strong argument to say he has ultimately failed.

The club is in a much better (league and financial) position than when he came here.

The infrastructure is vastly improved.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Chichcan said:

Hopefully we'll be looking a bit further than  just appointing Adams if Webber leaves

There are so many young sporting directors around these days that would bring in fresh ideas

I  would hope we'd at least interview people properly and see what ideas people have to take the club forward 

Exactly. Let's not just hire the first person that becomes available again....

12 minutes ago, Unhinged Canary said:

Finally some good news!

Fingers crossed this comes off! 🤞

You've got laugh at the pure ego of Norwich City Fans.

One of the top clubs in the country, nay, in Europe, is interested in our Sporting Director and it doesn't create even a slight amount of self-reflection in considering that maybe Webber is actually highly respected and good at his job.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 6
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, A Load of Squit said:

The club is in a much better (league and financial) position than when he came here.

He has also sold all the crown jewels, 90% of which he didn't buy.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Chichcan said:

we will search the world then end up with Neil 

• Haha 4

3 minutes ago, Chichcan said:

Just because he's Assistant it doesn't mean he'll automatically step up. I'm sure there will be a full recruitment process.

Just now, Capt. Pants said:

Just because he's Assistant it doesn't mean he'll automatically step up. I'm sure there will be a full recruitment process.

I'd say there's a good chance he will take it though. I think Kieran Scott was being groomed for it previously before Webber decided to sign a new contract.

Imagine going from Farke and Webber to Smith and Adams. 💩

• Like 1

1 minute ago, KeiranShikari said:

I'd say there's a good chance he will take it though. I think Kieran Scott was being groomed for it previously before Webber decided to sign a new contract.

Imagine going from Farke and Webber to Smith and Adams. 💩

I know. I just hope some good comes out of all this.

8 minutes ago, Worthy Nigelton said:

He has also sold all the crown jewels, 90% of which he didn't buy.

For excellent reasons, which I can’t be 4rsed to list as it will just start another pantomime argument. But basically this:

13 minutes ago, A Load of Squit said:

4 minutes ago, Deptford Yellow said:

I think Neil would do a better job than Webber ..

(There, I’ve said it…)

I think Neil is to nice 

yes on the football side of things but business side of the club you have to be ruthless 

i think this was Webber's problem he is ruthless and does not mind falling out with people 

sadly this included our own fans etc that's where he went to far and thought he was untouchable 

i personally would have thought chelsea would have gone for someone who had done massive deals and ran a big club 

Webber biggest deal has been around 11 million also dealing with different type of players 

also Webber was fantastic when he had little money to buy players in fact one of the best 

but as soon as he had Money his signings have not been good 

• Like 1

Neil Adams is probably the most experienced man at the football club, he's a top flight championship winner, has played in the top league in England for several years, has managed in the top flight and has been involved in several transfer windows.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

For excellent reasons, which I can’t be 4rsed to list as it will just start another pantomime argument. But basically this:

You are correct but it's far more nuanced than "he is great" or "he is crap". On some metrics he has been extremely good and parts of the club have improved significantly, of that there is no doubt, but it is also true that on the biggest metric of making us a PL team he has been the biggest failure in the club's history at that level. The biggest test will be whether a load of gems come through in the next 5 years from his reforms... then is the time to assess him more fully.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, A Load of Squit said:

he's a top flight championship winner

He's a what now? 

Think he won a league cup with somebody as a player, but he's never won the top flight!

24 minutes ago, A Load of Squit said:

Are we in a much better league position? Even if we win the league this year (no certainty) he has moved us up 7 places in 6 years.

I wouldn't mind Webbers job being essentially split in two and Rob Newman and Grant Holt coming on board for the recruitment side and Neil Adams doing the technical side and academy development etc. 

So have a technical director and a separate recruitment lead.