Sign in to follow this  
Mr Angry

Saturday 3 pm games could be televised?

3 minutes ago, The Raptor said:

I hope that means they scrap all the silly kick off times. Particularly early Saturday.

Surely it means they just have another available timeslot to show games. I'd ban TV games kicking off between 1.30 - 2:59, 3.01 - 5.30pm

• Like 2

It's just tinkering around the edges as it doesn't mean every game will be televised.

Probably means a rethink on parachute payments if there's an enhanced TV deal. No need for them.

It'll happen eventually so I get the logic- scrap it to secure a better TV deal to help the smaller clubs deal with the potential loss of ticket revenue that'll come from it.

2 hours ago, Capt. Pants said:

Probably means a rethink on parachute payments if there's an enhanced TV deal. No need for them.

It would have to be a pretty hefty new TV deal.

Norwich and the other newly relegated clubs are getting around £70 million (next year this goes up to around £100 million for clubs coming down from the EPL).

While to the rest of the Championship get around £7 million each, by comparison.

4 hours ago, Capt. Pants said:

It's just tinkering around the edges as it doesn't mean every game will be televised.

Perhaps an advanced TV deal will mean they will all be televised with a large chunk - though not all of them -  being 3pm Saturday. 

Perhaps another idea would be for the EFL to have a different contractor to the PL. In that event supporters could choose the relevant contract to subscribe to. 

As the ITV Digital saga proved there is still a limit to the value of televised second tier football.

Suspect parachute clubs will take a relative hit for the overall benefit of the rest.

The key paragraph is at the end:" EFL chief commercial officer, Ben Wright, said: "Alongside the EFL's rich tradition and distinguished history there is a desire to evolve, grow and innovate in order to grow our audience further and we're looking for a partner or partners who share that vision."

Making Saturday afternoon kick offs a televised option for one or some of the EfL fixtures will be detrimental to attendances and also the businesses that rely on football footfall.

There are a fair percentage of fans that travel long distances to get to and from games and spent their income en route to and from the game and this could be lost if it becomes more convenient to watch it on TV. Saturday fixtures are already challenging given the raft of ongoing engineering works and strikes and clubs, particularly at the lower level don't need further reasons for fans to stay away. 

It has to come. Don't forget we have many US owners in football now and they look at income from every source and screening pays more than the turnstile.

It won't stop people going to games. People like going to football. It isn't just the game anymore. SSN was reporting this afternoon and some Spurs fans were already congregating around the ground. Whether they are North Londoners, ex pats or just people who favour Spurs makes no difference. There is money available to take off people who want to bathe in the match experience.

If you are a supporter you will go. Leagues One and Two know that their clubs need to survive and relying on 2100 turning up for a home game isn't going to cover it.

3 hours ago, Pyro Pete said:

It would have to be a pretty hefty new TV deal.

Norwich and the other newly relegated clubs are getting around £70 million (next year this goes up to around £100 million for clubs coming down from the EPL).

While to the rest of the Championship get around £7 million each, by comparison.

Those bloody parachute payments, let’s not complain mind. 

1 hour ago, Canary73 said:

The key paragraph is at the end:" EFL chief commercial officer, Ben Wright, said: "Alongside the EFL's rich tradition and distinguished history there is a desire to evolve, grow and innovate in order to grow our audience further and we're looking for a partner or partners who share that vision."

Making Saturday afternoon kick offs a televised option for one or some of the EfL fixtures will be detrimental to attendances and also the businesses that rely on football footfall.

There are a fair percentage of fans that travel long distances to get to and from games and spent their income en route to and from the game and this could be lost if it becomes more convenient to watch it on TV. Saturday fixtures are already challenging given the raft of ongoing engineering works and strikes and clubs, particularly at the lower level don't need further reasons for fans to stay away. 

Do Clubs really benefit that much from away supporters when the cost of police and security is considered?

The real loyalists will turn up regardless.

League 1 and 2 Clubs may benefit more from TV contracts that will actually show matches as largely Sky doesn't.

1 minute ago, essex canary said:

Do Clubs really benefit that much from away supporters when the cost of police and security is considered?

The real loyalists will turn up regardless.

League 1 and 2 Clubs may benefit more from TV contracts that will actually show matches as largely Sky doesn't.

Its not just away support but a great deal of home ones. A home game for me which I hold a season ticket for is a 160 mile plus round trip. EfL would be wrong to think that all supporters are 'local'. Taking us an example, there is a large percentage beyond the confines of the city and county that travel to games. 

I don't know who's going to watch an EFL match at 3pm on a Saturday other than the fans of those clubs. You may as well televise all matches similar to iFollow.

I'm not sure I really get where the demand is. Fans will watch any old match in the EPL, I know I do, but I can't imagine that demand exists for EFL matches.

1 hour ago, Capt. Pants said:

I don't know who's going to watch an EFL match at 3pm on a Saturday other than the fans of those clubs. You may as well televise all matches similar to iFollow.

I'm not sure I really get where the demand is. Fans will watch any old match in the EPL, I know I do, but I can't imagine that demand exists for EFL matches.

Do you go to away matches? If not surely its an obvious solution.

Edited by keelansgrandad

3 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

Do you go to away matches? If not surely its an obvious solution.

That's why I'm saying all matches need to be televised. Like any other fan if I can watch all the away games there might be something in it for me. 

I can't see the benefit if it's one game a week from any team.

9 hours ago, The Raptor said:

I hope that means they scrap all the silly kick off times. Particularly early Saturday.

…. Which means missing out on attending matches because Sky stuck their noses in, then changing the date and time to one your boss won’t let you have the time off for.

We must be the only league in the world with this issue. It’s like 60 years old or whatever, after then Burnley chairman Bob Lord convinced his colleagues at the EFL that showing 3pm games on TV would “damage grass roots football”.

Utterly old and out of date rule which should be scrapped, just like Daylight Savings Time.

11 hours ago, king canary said:

It'll happen eventually so I get the logic- scrap it to secure a better TV deal to help the smaller clubs deal with the potential loss of ticket revenue that'll come from it.

The danger there is as smaller clubs see TV money becoming a bigger part of the revenue then they are more beholden to them. What has been seen is that attendances are usually ticket cost driven. So any money should be used to reduce the cost of tickets, not simply used to pay higher wages. Which just ends up the same standard of player, only more money being leached out of the game.