The third goal isn't exactly a glaring goalkeeping error, but I can assure you that no keeper would be happy conceding that despite the unfortunate deflection and my issue is, that this seems to be a recurring theme with Krul now.

Put it this way, I think a better goalkeeper than Krul saves that and whether Gunny comes in now or not, the GK position is something we're going to have to look at. 

The point of paying so much for Gunn is that we rate him as being good enough to challenge Krul.

A club like ours does not spend millions to sign a player like Gunn based on sentimental reasoning.  

To be fair to Krul he has been one of the side's better performers this season and he certainly had a very good game at Blackpool. 

However, at Reading and again Vs Preston he's been beaten at his near post which is OK on occasion but it isn't OK two weeks in a row. 

It's time to give him a rest and play Gunn next game. Krul needs to earn his place on merit just like any other player.

He knows that and so does Smith. 

I still say Krul is our best keeper. I still say Pukki is our best striker. If Teemu had put away the two glorious chances he had on Saturday we’re sitting here having won 4-3. But he didn’t. He made errors. It happens and it can happen for a number of games. Knee jerk reactions to players who have served the club outstandingly in the past and who will again are silly and disrespectful. 
We are still joint top of the league for Christ sake. And Tim’s been ever present. He hasn’t been letting in dozens of howlers all season has he!

Edited by Hardhouse44
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Bonzo said:

The point of paying so much for Gunn is that we rate him as being good enough to challenge Krul.

A club like ours does not spend millions to sign a player like Gunn based on sentimental reasoning.  

Take it you weren't a fan when we gave Bryan Gunn the managers job then?

2 minutes ago, Hardhouse44 said:

We are still joint top of the league for Christ sake. 

When you look at our next 3 fixtures, I'd put Preston down as one we couldn't afford to lose.

Does anyone seriously think Webber spends millions of pounds based on sentiment (Gunn). 
Always remember how well Green and Andy Marshall did when thrown in the deep end. Update on our Welshman please. 

Having now watched the highlights, I'm afraid I can't see any ground to defend Kruls keeping with the third goal. He's got himself set flat-footed too far out from his front post. It isn't a 'routine save' but a player of Kruls pedigree (and wage) shouldn't be conceding that sort of goal.

I've had murmurings of concerns with him on more than a couple of occasions, it feels like he's downgraded from a 7/10 keeper with the occasional 8 or 9 to a 6/10 with an occasional 4 or 5. It isn't much at face value but quite dramatic for a keeper. Preston very similar to his early shaky games.

The million dollar question- as with any selection questions- is do you change him now going into probably the 3 toughest away games this year?

Ref: the 2nd goal we conceded...ultimately it comes down to whether Krul is being instructed to take this risky playing it out from the back or whether he's doing it on his own accord.

If its the former, Smith has to ask himself whether the pay off really is worth it?

We're genereally speaking a fairly solid defence who dont concede chances in open play but when we're gifting ordinary teams like the one we played on Saturday goals when they wouldnt ordinarily have got near our goal, are these risks worth taking?

If Krul is making these decisions himself, Smith simply needs to put a stop to it