Sign in to follow this  
Iwans Big Toe

Marcelino Nunez and loyalty in today's game

10 hours ago, Iwans Big Toe said:

Top player, the kind I would want to build a side around, much like Emi.

Sadly, like Emi, I can see his ambition getting the best of him. He will move on to an Aston Villa or Everton who will pay him far more than he is worth and he will end up sitting on the bench. If only he had Matt Le Tissier as a role model, but sadly he probably has never heard of him and doesn't realise that Le Tissier was a world class player who was happy keeping Southampton in the top flight year after year. Le Tissier was pleased to be the top guy at his club, albeit in a side that were perennial strugglers. He would much rather be a massive fish in a medium pond than a small fish in a huge pond. Sadly I think Nacho will take the route of Emi and sit on the bench for a team no better than the Southampton Le Tissier played for earning  £5million+ a year, rather than being happy earning £1,500,000+m while staring for a team fighting above their weight.

I hope we have found another Pukki, but I think Nacho will see the grass as greener, just like Emi. Success is not always about how much cash you can earn. ☹️

I would love to be proved wrong.

Oh and please don't take this as a criticism of him as a man or a player. Very few players have had the self awareness of Matt Le Tissier to stay put. Even fewer do today.

Football is their job. They all have fairly short careers and have to make the most of them. They all have agents who make money from finding them new moves, which means selling the idea of moving to the players. Pukki is only still here because the club took up a year option for this season; this summer he's free to go, and probably will. 

We have the odd exception who falls in love with the area and settles down, so you never know, but realistically this is just one of the many difficulties a club of our size has going against it when trying to progress. It's just one of those things you have to accept. 

In the meantime, Nunez is enjoying playing here and some of us enjoy watching him, so make the most of it. 

6 hours ago, hertfordyellow said:

Le tissier wasted his talent. Didn’t look after himself, didn’t train well, wasn’t slightly ambitious, didn’t want to push himself against the best. Ended up without an International career or a medal. Great goal collection, a statue and that’s it.

If Nunez becomes good enough to play for an Arsenal or Milan etc, he should do his best to eventually get there.

And he's a complete twunk on social media nowadays. Peddling ****e rumours every day. 

We all know the mercenary nature of the game, footballer’s were  treated as chattels to be bought and sold, so now they sell their Labour in a market to their best advantage. 

I suppose if I was offered my same job in Darlington I’d probably go if the money was double what I’m earning now. I did a 3 year stint in Ipswich in the 90s. 

Mind you I often fantasise that one fine day a massively rich genius will come here on loan, fall in love with us, and stay; it would make a good film. 

On 08/10/2022 at 02:04, Iwans Big Toe said:

I think you have entirely missed the point I am trying to make. It is not a criticism of Nunez as an individual, but rather of the sport as a whole.

You do not have to be a Soothsayer to say that a player that plays well for one club will move on to a bigger club. After all that is how we signed Emi and Nunez. However, since Chris Sutton, how many players have left Norwich to be more than bench warmers for "bigger" clubs?

James Maddison?

On 08/10/2022 at 08:55, cambridgeshire canary said:

Good to know you can see the future. You bought a lottery ticket yet? End of the day much as it would nice for him to be "our Zaha" (You know, like how Zaha is happy at Palace even though he is too good for them and gets offer after offer every year from bigger clubs but always turns them down) fact is that being with us tends to mean low wages and one or two good championhip seasons followed by pain and getting battered everywhere we go in the Prem.   Much as losing players sucks can you blame players for leaving us if they get offered double what we are playing them and a place at a club that has an almost guaranteed spot in the top flight?

Isn’t this the same Zaha who left CP for Man U ? Could not get a regular first team spot, the returned back to CP.

There are lots of reasons why players leave clubs, earning more may be the only factor for some players but I would guess for most that makes the move sweeter and the main reason they leave is down to circumstances at the club at the time. I watched the documentary about Cesc Fabregas last night, he left Arsenal for footballing reasons, yes he went to Barcelona but he took a pay cut and he seemed genuinely upset at leaving. I would guess that Emi genuinely believed he would go on to bigger and better things at Villa, I am sure the higher wages helped in that decision but personally I believe he went mainly for footballing reasons. As others have said about Le Tissier, very talented but played in a different era and from my perspective seemed happy to get a decent wage and be a very big fish in a very small pond, you could call it loyalty but equally you could call it wasting your talent.................

1 hour ago, Bradwell canary said:

Isn’t this the same Zaha who left CP for Man U ? Could not get a regular first team spot, the returned back to CP.

In fairness that was quite a while ago ,.( 2013-15)He's been at Palace ever since and the rumour mill stated that several approaches have been made by bigger clubs and he's not been interested. He was at Palace from 2004, until now,1 season at Man u , one season at Cardiff on loan from Manure, there rest ( other 16 years) he's been at Palace. He must be happy there.

Edited by wcorkcanary