Sign in to follow this  
Iwans Big Toe

Marcelino Nunez and loyalty in today's game

Top player, the kind I would want to build a side around, much like Emi.

Sadly, like Emi, I can see his ambition getting the best of him. He will move on to an Aston Villa or Everton who will pay him far more than he is worth and he will end up sitting on the bench. If only he had Matt Le Tissier as a role model, but sadly he probably has never heard of him and doesn't realise that Le Tissier was a world class player who was happy keeping Southampton in the top flight year after year. Le Tissier was pleased to be the top guy at his club, albeit in a side that were perennial strugglers. He would much rather be a massive fish in a medium pond than a small fish in a huge pond. Sadly I think Nacho will take the route of Emi and sit on the bench for a team no better than the Southampton Le Tissier played for earning  £5million+ a year, rather than being happy earning £1,500,000+m while staring for a team fighting above their weight.

I hope we have found another Pukki, but I think Nacho will see the grass as greener, just like Emi. Success is not always about how much cash you can earn. ☹️

I would love to be proved wrong.

Oh and please don't take this as a criticism of him as a man or a player. Very few players have had the self awareness of Matt Le Tissier to stay put. Even fewer do today.

Edited by Iwans Big Toe
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, The Bunny said:

You can "see" that eh? Were you going to present any evidence (at all) to support this hypothesis? 

I think you have entirely missed the point I am trying to make. It is not a criticism of Nunez as an individual, but rather of the sport as a whole.

You do not have to be a Soothsayer to say that a player that plays well for one club will move on to a bigger club. After all that is how we signed Emi and Nunez. However, since Chris Sutton, how many players have left Norwich to be more than bench warmers for "bigger" clubs?

At this point and time there's nothing to show he's ready for the Premier League. Yes he's been good on the whole, but there's large parts of his game that need work, especially defensively. Buendia was a much more complete player when he left us, but he's still not good enough to get into the first XI at Villa

• Like 1

I’m sorry this football loyalty nonsense is over done if someone offered you to chance to double your money you would bite their hand off. Why criticise footballers for doing the same. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Iwans Big Toe said:

Sadly, like Emi, I can see his ambition getting the best of him. He will move on to an Aston Villa or Everton who will pay him far more than he is worth and he will end up sitting on the bench. If only he had Matt Le Tissier as a role model, but sadly he probably has never heard of him and doesn't realise that Le Tissier was a world class player who was happy keeping Southampton in the top flight year after year. Le Tissier was pleased to be the top guy at his club, albeit in a side that were perennial strugglers. He would much rather be a massive fish in a medium pond than a small fish in a huge pond. Sadly I think Nacho will take the route of Emi and sit on the bench for a team no better than the Southampton Le Tissier played for earning  £5million+ a year, rather than being happy earning £1,500,000+m while staring for a team fighting above their weight.

I hope we have found another Pukki, but I think Nacho will see the grass as greener, just like Emi. Success is not always about how much cash you can earn. ☹️

Oh and please don't take this as a criticism of him as a man or a player. Very few players have had the self awareness of Matt Le Tissier to stay put. Even fewer do today.

Le tissier wasted his talent. Didn’t look after himself, didn’t train well, wasn’t slightly ambitious, didn’t want to push himself against the best. Ended up without an International career or a medal. Great goal collection, a statue and that’s it.

If Nunez becomes good enough to play for an Arsenal or Milan etc, he should do his best to eventually get there.

Edited by hertfordyellow
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Is this post a wind-up?

Le Tissier was at Southampton from his teens and they were arguably his 'local' club. 

Nuñez is not from this area, this country or even this continent. He joined us solely to further his football career, so I'm not sure why we'd expect him to turn down a Premier League club offering to triple his wages should the opportunity arise. 

Should we criticise Nuñez already for his lack of loyalty to Catolica, or Pukki for a lack of loyalty to Brondby? After all, they both could've stayed there and won trophies for the rest of their career as big fish in small ponds.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Iwans Big Toe said:

Sorry to spoil a good story but the Bosman ruling happened in 1995, which was halfway through Le Tissier's career. So when he was younger, he didn't have much choice. 

The most important fact is that he was known for being overweight and lazy and made silly decisions on the pitch, including one at Carrow Road that cost Southampton points. I doubt any of the big teams would have been interested. 

There is in general a lot of nonsense talked about loyalty in the good old days and Bobby Moore is often used as an example. But if you read his biography you discover that he asked West Ham for a transfer every season. Bill Shankly spent years trying to sign him. 

Pukki’s still with us because no-one has made a good enough offer to persuade us and him it’s worth moving on. Not because he loves Norwich City.

• Like 4

Good to know you can see the future. You bought a lottery ticket yet? End of the day much as it would nice for him to be "our Zaha" (You know, like how Zaha is happy at Palace even though he is too good for them and gets offer after offer every year from bigger clubs but always turns them down) fact is that being with us tends to mean low wages and one or two good championhip seasons followed by pain and getting battered everywhere we go in the Prem.   Much as losing players sucks can you blame players for leaving us if they get offered double what we are playing them and a place at a club that has an almost guaranteed spot in the top flight?

Edited by cambridgeshire canary

Anyway, I was watching this under-14 match and the No.10 was simply sublime. I said to him, "You're going to play for Norwich one day, but of course your eyes will get bigger than your belly and you'll sign for Newcastle Murders United and spend the rest of your life on the bench collecting your weekly £300,000, you traitorous little b*stard". I did apologise to his dad when I met him again in A&E.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Hmm. Top player? Not so sure on that point. Some good moments early on but needs to push on and get some consistency in his game.

He's a bit behind Gibbs in my view and he's the one we need to start worrying about whether their loyal or not.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Iwans Big Toe said:

But surely if he displayed the loyalty you seek he would have stayed in Chile? Like Emi, he is giving up a lot to further his career -  friends, family and home - and has come to place that he had probably never heard of. It is a very different scenario to Le Tissier.

The other thing I would say about player loyalty, is that fans are often not very loyal to players that playing poorly - loyalty is better as a "two-way thing."

We are some way from worrying about someone taking Nunez from us. Not done enough yet 

14 minutes ago, hogesar said:

We are some way from worrying about someone taking Nunez from us. Not done enough yet 

Also this. 

He was excellent in his first few games, but has faded a lot since. If his most recent six were his first six, there would be a lot more grumbling about his performances.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, AJ said:

At this point and time there's nothing to show he's ready for the Premier League. Yes he's been good on the whole, but there's large parts of his game that need work, especially defensively. Buendia was a much more complete player when he left us, but he's still not good enough to get into the first XI at Villa

Emi is good enough to be in their first XI. Gerrard is just too loyal to his mate courtinho 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Also this. 

He was excellent in his first few games, but has faded a lot since. If his most recent six were his first six, there would be a lot more grumbling about his performances.

Yes and also if he was called McNunez!

2 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

Yes and also if he was called McNunez!

Needs to work on his pointing

• Haha 1

Surely we poach coaches and players from other clubs. Look how Rob Edwards was poached from Forest Green to Watford and sacked promptly. Loyalty is the blue card you get at Tesco?

Why do clubs, including us, have sell on clauses in player's contracts? Because they expect to make use of them later just like we did with Emi.

Its nothing new. As a kid I remember Monty Norman going to Spurs. Thing is, we were proud that it had happened. Local boy goes to big club and ends up playing for England.

• Like 1

This is the way it all works.

Club gets player, develops player, player moves to bigger club. Unless you are a guaranteed starter at one of the very top sides, you would always be looking to move upwards. now if you are talking about loyalty, that went out with the tide. What is in your pay packet is everything now days, even if it means you are sitting on the bench for tens of thousands every week.

I think we just need to accept where we are in the food chain and enjoy these players while we have them. Until we manage to stay in the Premier League for several seasons our chance of retaining some of our top talent is next to nil.

Edited by First Wazzock

I think we need to see a lot more from Nunez before we start worrying about his long term future at Norwich.

personally I thought he was close to if not our worst player against Reading. At times he’s totally unable to pass the ball 5 yards and find a man.

Theres some good stuff in there but far, far to many mistakes.

2 hours ago, Ulfotto said:

I’m sorry this football loyalty nonsense is over done if someone offered you to chance to double your money you would bite their hand off. Why criticise footballers for doing the same. 

Exactly it’s no different to any other employment, few companies do anything really inspire the loyalty of their employees and therefore they get none.

If Nunez becomes worth 30+ million you know Norwich will just see him as an asset to get the most money from as well.

2 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Good to know you can see the future. You bought a lottery ticket yet? End of the day much as it would nice for him to be "our Zaha" (You know, like how Zaha is happy at Palace even though he is too good for them and gets offer after offer every year from bigger clubs but always turns them down) fact is that being with us tends to mean low wages and one or two good championhip seasons followed by pain and getting battered everywhere we go in the Prem.   Much as losing players sucks can you blame players for leaving us if they get offered double what we are playing them and a place at a club that has an almost guaranteed spot in the top flight?

You obviously missed his transfer to Man utd then, and him trying to force a move to arsenal. 

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Greavsy said:

You obviously missed his transfer to Man utd then, and him trying to force a move to arsenal. 

And? Hoolahan wanted to **** off and leave us to Villa and yet is now seen and looked back upon as being one of our most loyal and beloved players. We all make mistakes 😉

Edited by cambridgeshire canary
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, KeiranShikari said:

Wes was out of the team when Villa wanted him. I'd have wanted out too.

I'm sure there's plenty of message boards for other teams that would have you..........................

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Capt. Pants said:

Hmm. Top player? Not so sure on that point. Some good moments early on but needs to push on and get some consistency in his game.

He's a bit behind Gibbs in my view and he's the one we need to start worrying about whether their loyal or not.

Given the degree of loyalty Gibbs showed to Ipswich when a bigger club came knocking my advice to you is to start worrying............

2 minutes ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

I'm sure there's plenty of message boards for other teams that would have you..........................

You're cool.

Just now, Thirsty Lizard said:

Cheers Mr "Sunderland are going to smash us" 😉

We all have the odd prediction go wide of the mark. That was also made before chaos hit their club and their manager left, just saying.