Sign in to follow this  
A Load of Squit

Saving Energy

When asked about sending out tips on how to reduce energy bills, our glorious government said that it was not their place to tell people what to do. Surely that is precisely the role of government.

This is the same government that ended the really successful home insulation scheme in the mid 2010's and brought in the scandalous "Green Deal" to replace it.

Is it possible that the Energy suppliers donate to the Tory party?

Oh, and we need a Central Defensive Midfielder - just in case you were about to say this is not football related.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, dylanisabaddog said:

How do you save energy by making bread and butter pudding? You have to use an oven 🤔

She probably used all the hot air our supporters spout 😅

22 minutes ago, A Load of Squit said:

Leek & Potato Soup.

Spiced Chicken with rice

Bread and Butter pudding.

Fantastic!

£330M or Ronaldo's yearly income.

3 hours ago, KiwiScot said:

Porridge in the microwave done in water flavoured with salt.

You've really embraced the Scot part of your moniker there, next thung you know you'll be putting in the porridge drawer and cutting a slice off every day to wrap in muslin and take to work for lunch...

Edited by cornish sam
  • Haha 1

52 minutes ago, AJ said:

She probably used all the hot air our supporters spout 😅

How did she do that then as she wasn’t connected to the club back then 😉

59 minutes ago, Trevor Hockey's Beard said:

When asked about sending out tips on how to reduce energy bills, our glorious government said that it was not their place to tell people what to do. Surely that is precisely the role of government.

Technically no a governments position in a representative democracy is to act as the voice of the people rather than dictate to the people.

We tell them what we need and they make the decision as we have chosen them to represent us.

That said I can't remember choosing Liz truss although via tyranny of the mob I was lumbered with borris (I can at least accept that democratic choice of the people)

Again it would however be nice to remind the current government of their obligations to office as they seem to have forgotten.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, KiwiScot said:

Porridge in the microwave done in water flavoured with salt.

Got one of those new smart meters can tell you the kettle and microwave are now on the verboten list 😔

12 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

"Just get an air dryer"

Fryer? 😇 or did you mean hang your washing outside?.

Edited by wcorkcanary
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Nexus_Canary said:

Got one of those new smart meters can tell you the kettle and microwave are now on the verboten list 😔

Yep me too, had one installed this week. Hairdryers as well consume a lot.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

Yep me too, had one installed this week. Hairdryers as well consume a lot.

Was this really a surprise to you? Anything with a heating element - electric fire, hair dryer, oven, iron, tumble dryer etc. will be expensive to run. Our smart meter (which seems to give responses that are all over the shop half the time, unrelated to what’s being used) just tells us the bleeding obvious.

While there are a few things you can do to reduce usage (hang washing up to dry instead of tumble drying, doubling up when oven cooking or buying an air fryer and so on), most activities aren’t optional. Who is going to go out in unironed clothes or with wet hair? I can’t see the benefit of them.

2 hours ago, TheBaldOne66 said:

How did she do that then as she wasn’t connected to the club back then 😉

She was a season ticket holder in the main stand so had access to enough hot air for endless bread and butter puds 😉

• Haha 1

I remember having to miss a City match because of the power strikes in the 70s. I think it was Millwall in the League Cup but it was played at 2.30pm om a mid week afternoon because there would be no floodlights. Couldn't get time off work.

Just now, keelansgrandad said:

I remember having to miss a City match because of the power strikes in the 70s. I think it was Millwall in the League Cup but it was played at 2.30pm om a mid week afternoon because there would be no floodlights. Couldn't get time off work.

Thanks, you've solved a mystery for me. I recently asked @ricardo@ricardo if he remembered a 70`s midweek game in the afternoon against Spurs. Turns out it was Millwall. 

4 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

This is one of a few typos I'm not going to correct, just funnier

Yep ,some things don't really matter. 

12 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Good finishing tip if using slow cooker. ...to remove the somewhat sterile taste that slowcookers can  produce, finish whatever meal you're making by traditional method... Just 10 minutes in the oven or on the hob at slightly above normal temperatures for the meal will do it. Something to do with lack of evaporation in slowcooker... ...🤷

20 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Alternatively use a haybox... Bring food up to cooking temp , place inside large cardboard box filled with hay or similar safe insulation. Do what you were going to do for however long you were going to do it. Remove food from Haybox, bring back up to full temperature and enjoy...works great  for one pot wonders, savoury and sweet. ....Even bread and butter pudding 😂,  as can be ' finished' under the grill for the crunchy top.  . 

3 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

Alternatively use a haybox... Bring food up to cooking temp , place inside large cardboard box filled with hay or similar safe insulation. Do what you were going to do for however long you were going to do it. Remove food from Haybox, bring back up to full temperature and enjoy...works great  for one pot wonders, savoury and sweet. ....Even bread and butter pudding 😂,  as can be ' finished' under the grill for the crunchy top.  . 

We have a haybox outside. So I tried this the other day and when I went back the rabbit had ate the feckin lot...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, A Load of Squit said:

Leek & Potato Soup.

Spiced Chicken with rice

Bread and Butter pudding.

Fantastic!

Given the Government don't want to spend money on an advertising campaign they can reuse these Public Information Films. There are plenty of them and they still get the message across, although they are dated: