Sign in to follow this  
daly

Good comment on Facebook

Just my take on what is going on at Norwich City at the moment. Looking at many of the recent posts on here, whilst some views still seem to be a bit extreme considering we sit second in the championship, I can't say that I disagree with any of them. Despite our lofty position the football we are playing is slow, cumbersome,  lethargic, uninspiring, use what ever words you wish, there is no edge of the seat stuff being played at the moment. If you are looking for any enthusiasm from our fans, look no further than our drum following away support which has to be admired, the envy of many a championship club I am sure. As far as the supporters once inside Carrow Road, well most of them appear to be yawning, sighing or nodding off such has been the excitement ( and I include myself here ). So why is this ?? I've come to the conclusion ( for now at least ) that it's not an NCFC problem, it's a football problem ! As we limped toward another useful point from the Reading game we saw that Sheff Utd and Watford both lost, and Burnley drew, all playing at home, so arguably ours was the best result from the teams currently favoured for promotion. I seriously wonder if  most of the supporters of recently relegated clubs are also wondering, what's the point of gaining promotion to the premier league. Have we finally reached saturation point where we have access to so much football that we can see on a daily basis the quality of football from the very best teams in the world. It wasn't like that when I was a young whipper snapper. The games were more evenly matched and we could give a good account of ourselves playing against the likes of Liverpool, Man Utd, Arsenal etc, not any more I fear. Those days could be long gone as the money completely dominates the game. We probably watch on in envy as premier clubs churn out quality football in front of a bunch of pundits drooling at the mouth ready to applaud the latest goal from Haaland or to criticise a solitary error that leads to a goal. And, this is probably subconsciously who we are comparing our players to.....very unfair obviously. The championship is littered with players who make bad decisions, poor passes  and other errors which go unpunished leaving slightly above average teams like us to pick up points whilst serving up extremely ordinary football. This season especially, I think we all know what awaits the three promoted teams from the championship. Yep, for the sake of the overall survival of football teams outside of the elite structure, I think the time is right for a European League.

• Like 14

Agree with most of that, except the watching on with envy at Premier League clubs. Over-hyped by the pundits except for 3 or 4 (used to be 6 or 7) quality teams. The rest all fighting for the 2 or 3 leagues within a league.

• Like 2

I can only conclude that you are the drummer boy. Frankly ruined my enjoyment of hearing our fans raise voices to a bellow. £&£-ing drum and his f&#+ing sticks . 

I would be happy to deliver it to porman road. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Nice post, daly. Although I disagree on the European League point.

One other thing, paragraphs please. Makes it far easier to read on a phone screen!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Pyro Pete said:

Nice post, daly. Although I disagree on the European League point.

One other thing, paragraphs please. Makes it far easier to read on a phone screen!

His post is a copy and paste job from Facebook PP.

I agree, Daly, that a European League would be good for most non premier league football supporters. It could create a properly competitive domestic structure. I don't agree that the quality of the games in the PL is as high as you suggest - there are plenty of boring games there as well + there is generally far less uncertainty about the outcome.

Despite all the fuss about the Super league last year, my annoyance at the big clubs was not that they wanted to join it, but that they wanted to stay within the domestic structure as well! In my opinion they pollute the whole football structure.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Norfolk Dan said:

I can only conclude that you are the drummer boy. Frankly ruined my enjoyment of hearing our fans raise voices to a bellow. £&£-ing drum and his f&#+ing sticks . 

From what i have read and watched concerning Scum HQ it grieves me to say it they don't appear to need a drum to create an atmosphere. The days of pi$$ing taking about the size of their crowds is also sadly confined to the bin. Their manager has everybody on side and singing from the same hymn sheet which unfortunately Smith has failed to do.

Harley Gee and his young mates which looks to be an ever growing band are going from strength to strength at away games as the two most recent games show. That pathetic display of drumming put on by the club at the Coventry game was cringeworthy .

Get those lads in at Carrow Road is what i say.

• Thanks 1

Peaks and troughs. This was said years ago shortly after Abramovic rocked up at Chelsea, the three promoted teams always used to get run over and straight back down due to some of the outstanding football that Man U, Chelsea, Arsenal, Liverpool etc were playing at the time. In the past decade there has been a bit of respite and the competitiveness returning with Leicester winning the league and a few good seasons from West Ham, Newcastle, West Brom, Wolves etc to finish amongst the top eight. Now Pep seems to have an almost unbeatable team, even though Liverpool have kept up with Man City for the last few years.

Although I completely acknowledge that the gulf between the EPL and Championship is now huge and growing all of the time. This is why so many are concerned for the future of our club if/when Delia and her Hubby take a step back.

I do disagree regarding the Super League though, this should be heavily objected to by our club, as this would reduce the funding for the 92 English Clubs (86 minus the big 6) and would probably lead to some clubs folding and job loses in the short/medium term, meaning most of the moderate supporters of English Clubs in this country would lose out to greed of the Big Six.

Edited by TheRock

5 hours ago, TIL 1010 said:

From what i have read and watched concerning Scum HQ it grieves me to say it they don't appear to need a drum to create an atmosphere. The days of pi$$ing taking about the size of their crowds is also sadly confined to the bin. Their manager has everybody on side and singing from the same hymn sheet which unfortunately Smith has failed to do.

Harley Gee and his young mates which looks to be an ever growing band are going from strength to strength at away games as the two most recent games show. That pathetic display of drumming put on by the club at the Coventry game was cringeworthy .

Get those lads in at Carrow Road is what i say.

The atmosphere at the away games seems 100% better than CR

Get the lads in and add a couple of trumpets

OTBC

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, TheRock said:

Peaks and troughs. This was said years ago shortly after Abramovic rocked up at Chelsea, the three promoted teams always used to get run over and straight back down due to some of the outstanding football that Man U, Chelsea, Arsenal, Liverpool etc were playing at the time. In the past decade there has been a bit of respite and the competitiveness returning with Leicester winning the league and a few good seasons from West Ham, Newcastle, West Brom, Wolves etc to finish amongst the top eight. Now Pep seems to have an almost unbeatable team, even though Liverpool have kept up with Man City for the last few years.

Although I completely acknowledge that the gulf between the EPL and Championship is now huge and growing all of the time. This is why so many are concerned for the future of our club if/when Delia and her Hubby take a step back.

I do disagree regarding the Super League though, this should be heavily objected to by our club, as this would reduce the funding for the 92 English Clubs (86 minus the big 6) and would probably lead to some clubs folding and job loses in the short/medium term, meaning most of the moderate supporters of English Clubs in this country would lose out to greed of the Big Six.

The funding situation isn't a problem. The tv money just feeds through to wages. Reduce the wages and we've got our game back. 

8 hours ago, Norfolk Dan said:

Agreed. I had the misfortune of sitting in Row T at Reading and about 10 minutes from kick off all hell let loose with a gang of lads (I'd say ten or so) descended on the row immediately behind and some on my right on same row as me. That bloody drum was deafening and whilst it (and the non stop singing) you could argue 'set up an atmosphere', I was really annoyed with the thing. Before the match a father and young girl sat right next to me. They didn't reappear for the second half. 

Thankfully the drummer and his merry men moved back a bit and to my right at half time so the noise was not so intimidating. The problem I had was that the continuous noise bore no correlation whatsoever to what was happening on the pitch. It was just noise for the sake of it. I like to 'get involved' at away games with singing and shouting support to the players but that's all with the actual game as the catalyst. At Reading (certainly for me where I was) there was no sense of a 'roar of anticipation' when we broke quickly in attack (didn't happen that much I know!) because this constant barrage of noise was unrelenting. The guy next to me in the second half had zero interest in the game itself. He spent almost all his time on his phone - taking videos and selfies and turning round to shout / sing with others (i.e. not even looking at the game!).

I hope and pray these lads are nowhere near Row E seats 62 and 63 at Watford! Anyone who went to Sunderland will testify that you dont need a stupid drum to create an atmosphere!!

1 hour ago, dylanisabaddog said:

The funding situation isn't a problem. The tv money just feeds through to wages. Reduce the wages and we've got our game back. 

That’d be great, but I’d assume another country would start to pick up that mantle and the money moves there, along with the talent. I’m not saying I’m in any way against this happening tbh, I just think it’s why it won’t happen. 

Edited by SwearyCanary

7 hours ago, TIL 1010 said:

His post is a copy and paste job from Facebook PP.

Ah, that makes a lot of sense - I thought daly had been possessed by an intelligent being.

That’s quite funny Fuzzar

Perhaps you should read the Heading of the article stating

“””Good comment on Facebook “”

Actually I am quite intelligent watch me on Catchup Countdown sometime when you’re not ridiculing people 

OTBC

1 hour ago, yellowrider120 said:

At Reading (certainly for me where I was) there was no sense of a 'roar of anticipation' when we broke quickly in attack (didn't happen that much I know!) because this constant barrage of noise was unrelenting. 

I was at the Reading game also and the atmosphere was the worst I’ve seen at an away game for a long time. Ok the football wasn’t exciting, but I think the constant drumming also had a part to play. 

The drum also seemed to keep a different beat to the chants sometimes as well which was pretty off putting. Add in the Reading drum (or bashing on the stadium, pretty sure it was a drum tho) all made for a very odd atmosphere 

I guess that's the dilemma...

The idea that the European Super League removes the top 6 from the Premier League... which then possibly means more teams to fill the premier league and the idea that the league will be more evenly balanced.

Vs

The status quo.

Personally, I think it's sad that those are the only two options. A lazy give in to the owners of clubs who care only about squeezing money out of them, like wringing as much water out as humanly possible from a damp cloth. Never mind the history of those clubs and their fans... just the fabric of the cloth being squeezed, stretched, rubbed up against each other and worn down, in the end to be discarded.

It's the same old rubbish, just a different year. Premier League teams complaining their fixtures are two compressed even when playing fewer cup fixtures, fewer league fixtures. 

8 hours ago, SwearyCanary said:

That’d be great, but I’d assume another country would start to pick up that mantle and the money moves there, along with the talent. I’m not saying I’m in any way against this happening tbh, I just think it’s why it won’t happen. 

I assume the big tv money would go to the Super League. The worldwide TV rights would be enormous which is why a loss making club like Chelsea sold for £2.5bn. Americans in particular are attracted to the idea of huge TV revenue with no risk of relegation. 

Having said the TV money would be enormous I admit I wouldn't pay for it. 

• Like 1

The move to five substitutes really is the killer blow in all this …

Amazing when you look at the championship table how many teams have been in the prem in living memory (nearly all) so I guess that underlines the point that teams can get there but have trouble staying there…